Which tires for an '08 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to order a new set for my mother, so I'm thinking that noise & comfort are actually the most important characteristics. Was considering the Falken SN211, but I found a review that wasn't too favorable of those tires on the Corolla... so kinda moved it to the bottom of the list. Also saw mention of the Kumho KR21 being out of round more often than I'd like to hear, but that 1 yr hazard warranty sounds awfully appealing.

And I'm not too keen on TireRack because of their shipping charges, and their prices don't seem to be as cheap / competitive as they were several years ago.

Here's what I'm thinking...

Mastercraft Avenger Touring LSR -or- General Altimax RT

(The Mastercrafts are the only one that are like $50-$60 more than the other tires I've been looking at. Worth it?))

It's more than likely that these tires won't even see HALF of 70k miles in 6 years, but doesn't hurt to go for the beter quality tread and higher load rating, right??

Anyway...

What to do? What to do?

- 780AA - 88/T - 12/32 - 80k / 6yr - Mastercraft Avenger Touring LSR (45day road test)
- 440AA - 88/T - 11/32 - 70k / 6yr - General Altimax RT (45day ride & try)

- 680AB - 86/T - 11/32 - 85k / 6yr - Kumho Solus KR21 (1yr hazard warranty)
- 720AB - 86/T - 12/32 - 80k / yr - Falken Touring SN211 (bad gas mileage & so-so ride quality on Corolla)

I have the kumho solus kr21 on the old oldsmobile. Now this is a heavier car then the corolla, but they handle terrible and i have about 20 and they are worn, i might make it to 40. On a smaller car they might be ok. I only bought them to move the car, when i bought it , i though the car would be salvageable but was not sure so i put on the lowest cost tires.

I put Cooper CS4's on my son's 2010 Corolla. They were on there for 20k before I traded it in for a new one. They showed minimal wear after 20k. They rode nicely, maybe a little on the stiff side. Road noise was acceptable, rain and snow were handled well. Good tire for the price.

I have an 08' Corolla and I replaced the terrible OE Goodyear Integrity's (I think) with Bridgestone 960's. The difference is like night and day. The car now handles like it's on rails.
The 960's are only rated for 40K (which I usually wouldn't buy) but I got a very good deal on them. I had thought about the Sincera's as a replacement when the 960's wear out....where did you read the negative about them? I have heard that the Kumho's don't last as long as their rating.
I would probably get the Cooper made Mastercraft's.

Do you have a Discount Tire near you. Their prices and service are hard to beat. As for the Kumho KR21 they don't last.

Go for the generals. Typically a fair price and there are lots of good reviews for their mpg, traction and quiet/comfort ride.

Here is my thread on what I ended up getting for my 05 Corolla.

Still like the tires!

tireswc3.jpg

If the tires are only going to driven 35k mi in 6 yrs., I personally would not get a super long lasting tire b/c of tire aging/rotting. A 500+ tire will have a harder compound & more tread depth which will account for more miles but have a harder ride, IMO. Of the tires you mentioned, the RT's would be my choice.

The Pirelli P4's are great tires. Have a set on the 99 Mazda Protege. Very good snow traction. Long lasting tire, but about $25 more per tire than the General's. I've had the P4's on for quite a few yrs. and they have aged well. A great choice as well!

Conti EcoContack Long wear, good ride, and very good rain and snow performance. (they got a workout this winter) Also, despite a tread pattern which drains well, very quiet. Work your way around the "interweb" as Richard Lawsen calles it for a good price. The most respected consumer mag rates then well.

Last edited:
There are some decent tires recomended here and I certainly do "2nd" the Pirelli P4's

I have never had good success with Mastercraft but, I have seen the Avenger Touring LSR's and they certainly do look good and beefy in their size compared to others.

But, the General Altimax RT and the Cooper CS4 are worthy considerations as well. The Kumho Solus KR-21's, less so, as others have mentioned.

With the Kumho Solus KR-21's, they start out well and customers love'em but, quicky become dissapointed @/~ 30K-40K miles.

Last edited:
I've had the Gen Altimax on my '04 Corolla for nearly two years and the ride was noticably more comfortable and they are wearing very nicely.
Unfortunately, I can't remember how much milage is on them now but they still look practically new: however the Corolla doesn't get driven much.

I'll probably put a set on the Altima when the noisy lapping out Michelin Harmony's wear out. Hate those tires!!

General Altimax RT! I put a set on my Prism(Corolla) replacing some Yokohamas, and the Altimax tires are the best I have used on this car. Really smooth, quiet and seem to have very good traction. Made a world of difference in this car.

Bridgestone Serenity Plus. Put a set on my 06 Matrix and a noticeable improvement over Goodyear's and Continental's.

I don't get all the bad comments about the KR21s...I had a set on my Corolla go 83K before I replaced them...and I probably could've gotten another 2-3K on them....

I have a set of Altimax RT on my 95 Corolla and it has been doing well. If you want a good traction tire that doesn't need to last a lot of miles (not driven much):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dunlop-SP-Sport-5000-Tire-P195-65R15/14904668

$77 ea after $40 rebate for 4, mounting is included but "lifetime" balancing, valve sterm is not. You can have it ship to walmart and just drive there to install, and if there's problem you can go to Walmart and yell.

Hmm... I was liking the Dunlops, but it was mostly because of the lifetime rotation, balancing, etc.

I don't suppose Walmart would do that "lifetime" package for new tires that I bring to them, would they?? It's strange that they say it's a $11/tire service... because when I called them a couple months back about another car I already had the tires for, they quoted me $80!!! And I'm pretty sure that didn't include any lifetime services. I don't understand that.

I'll more than likely just get the Generals @ $76 a piece straight from Walmart... because there's no rebate to deal with and the they seem to get better reviews than the Dunlops. Plus, the Dunlops don't seem to come in a 185, which is stock.

But if I could bring them the Generals, not have to pay tax, and get them to do that $11/tire "lifetime" service.... then that would be the beez neez, right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back