Which synthetic blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of synthetic blends.Been using them for years.Now that Pennzoil and Quaker State has their own blends I've been using the Pennzoil 5w-30 and like it.My question is which is the better of the two.Quaker State or Pennzoil synthetic blend?

Originally Posted By: rccsofla
I've been using the Pennzoil 5w-30 and like it.

You've been using it in what type of engine?

Some companies may mention the % of syn in their blends but, I have never seen it. It's safe to assume that the syn blend oils are ~20-25% syn. I don't believe it's 50% as some folks would think it is. And I have nothing to supstanciate my comment, just comes from the gut.

I've tried the Pennzoil blend in the Protege and I thought it was an exc. oil for a very reasonable price. Never tired QS. (I believe it's a 50/50% blend.) Now I'm making my own Pennzoil "blend." Sorry can't tell you which is "better." One interesting post I read here lately which basically stated it didn't really matter which oil you used as long as you continued to use that oil for the lowest long term engine wear?

I don't know about the regular synthetic blends, but SOPUS told me that QS Defy was no less than 30% synthetic, I would assume that at least the QS Synthetic Blend is similar in base oil formulation.
The Gulf brand synthetic blend that I use fairly often is on the average 25% synthetic base oils.

Last edited:
Benefits of Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™ Motor Oil

Specially formulated for use in all GM vehicles
Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
Provides proven wear protection
Controls high-temperature oxidation and deposits
Contains at least 50% synthetic base oil for added oxidation stability, improved volatility and low temperature properties
Backed by the Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty

^^^^^ Guess which oil that I'm using?

IN the U.S. what matters is the advanced approvals/certifications beyond garden variety ILSAC GF5/6 to differentiate performance. You could also put some (just a little?) stock into what the blender advertises as performance improvements over THEIR lower tier product. And recall that "synthetic" could mean "only" grpIII crude-derived which is not necessarily a high group technical syn.

Last edited:
As I asked in a previous post....I wonder if PSB and QSB are the same oil?
Both 5w30's are now available at WM and are dexos.
The curious thing is that QSB is $5.07 a quart and $16.97 for the 5qt. jug. ($3.40 a qt.) while PSB is $4.47 a qt. and $17.27 for the 5 qt. jug ($3.45 a qt.)......in other words PSB is cheaper by the qt. but more by the jug.
I'm thinking they are the same or that PSB is higher in the SOPUS hierarchy...

PS: I think syn blends are great as long as you aren't paying full syn prices.....for a dollar or two more than dino (for the 5 qt. jug) what's not to like.
In my turbo vehicle I'll stick with full syn. for it's ability to withstand heat/breakdown.

On the PNZL website, i advises the GOLD Blend is GTL. I wouldnt think the Dexos1 labeled blend would be different. The QSSB says nothing of being GTL. I don't think they are the same. Of course, all of this is mostly conjecture.

This is a gut feeling as well, but I cant see QS and Pennzoil blends being the same.. Just like PYB and QSGB aren't the same.

As said above, Dexos approved oils have to be 50/50 and from what I have read here, both oils are just that. I personally say that the $$ of the 2 have the better formulation. Like always, best way to fully tell is a UOA.

On a side note, I know Maxlife is Dexos approved.
laugh.gif

I've been using the Kendall GT-1 5w-20 syn blend and really like it. Don't know how much synthetic is really in it. When I buy full synthetic I always go with Pennzoil Platinum, unless I find another for a better price.

The Castrol, QS and Pennzoil DEXOS blends are all probably fairly high percentage blends I'd bet, but Pennzoil is the only one that actually tells you as far as I know. I'd bet Maxlife if pretty high too since it's also Dexos.

Many other blends seem to have just enough Grp III to make SN but are otherwise no different than running a top conventional IMO.

To answer your question Merkava4 it is a 2012 Toyoya yaris.I use it to commute 120 miles a day to work and back.Average about 33,000 miles a year on it.

Thanks for answering my question. It's always nice to know which engines like which oil. If your Toyota likes Pennzoil blend, you might want to stay with it, but then again, there's quite a few blends out there on the market to try. I've always judged an oil by how quiet it makes the engine sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back