Which one is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a new 2013 Nissan Frontier, 6 cycl.
He wants to go full synthetic...but which one?
Joe Gibbs
Lucas Oil
Castrol
Amzoil
He doesn't pull anything, doesn't go mudding, approx. 30 mi each way to work.

??????????????

Thanks!!

You should do a little reading here Castrol and amsoil are good oils the joe gibbs is probably not the best choice for your app and I know anything lucas is NOT.There are much better oils that are available.Penzoil and Mobil are highly regarded products here.It just depends on personal taste.

I'd recommend:
Pennzoil Platinum
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Kendall GT-1
Mobil 1
Not particularly in that order, it's just how they came up in my mind.

if you shop at wallyworld you could see what oil they always have in stock and go with that. their prices on M1 and PP in the 5quart jugs are good. can not go wrong with PP or M1.

He could use any of the readily available syns at WM (even the ST @ under $18 for 5 quarts) and his Nissan will last until he's tired of it. I certainly wouldn't go for a boutique oil in any normal vehicle.

Whats on sale.

Really, any Syn will good-to-go for a basic use vehicle. I agree with pmb that boutique is not needed.

Advance Auto had Havoline Syn on sale (5qt+filter for $20). Supertech is good, Quakerstate has a excellent Syn for the price and Mobil1/Pennzoil Ultra fight it out for the best commonly available oil. Castrol is good but I avoid them because it is BP and they ruined the Gulf (also bitter about losing Amoco). Valvoline is a good oil they tend to be a bit more pricy in my area.

Originally Posted By: chkiaar
My son has a new 2013 Nissan Frontier, 6 cycl.
He wants to go full synthetic...but which one?
Joe Gibbs
Lucas Oil
Castrol
Amzoil
He doesn't pull anything, doesn't go mudding, approx. 30 mi each way to work.

??????????????

Thanks!!

So many things to say...

1st of all this is a 2013 so he has warranty to be concerned about so whatever oil he uses needs to meet any spec's( API and/or car mfg's )that are called for. What does it say in the owner's manual?

2nd there really is no best oil. Most any name brand oil will do the job. There is good and better but best is hard to say. Different vehicles respond better to different oils.

As to the brands listed...

Joe Gibbs - I don't believe JG offers any API Certified oils? I looked on the API site and couldn't find a listing anyway. They are mostly high ZDDP racing type oils. I don't see any JG oil meeting the warranty requirements of your son's vehicle plus the oil is not really designed for modern daily driver applications. Good oil I am sure just not what your boy needs. More of a hi-performance application oil.

Lucas - They offer API SM/SN oils so you should be good warranty wise. While I haven't used any of the Lucas Oils personally I haven't heard a lot of good about their oil. I like some of their stuff but I never tried their oil. I think you could get a better product but if that is what you/your boy wants to use as long as it carries the spec's you need it should be ok.

Castrol - just pick a formula that meets warranty and you should be fine. Castrol makes good oil.

Amsoil - Amsoil offers a bunch of oil lines. XL and OE would be the ones to use as they are the ones that are API certified and meet your warranty requirements. Good products.

Of these 4 oils I would only use 3 of the brands in this order...

Amsoil XL/OE
Castrol
Lucas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back