Which one for my Rav4?

Interesting... what oil-filter combo would you recommend? Thank you
Any that meet the spec, including either of the filters shown here. Toyota branded oil, Mobil, whatever meets spec. I don’t want to worship at the altar or Toyota but they generally are not fussy. Just change the oil on some sort of basis, if problems develop it is usually not the fault of the oil but design (bad rings or drain holes).

Since you already bought them and you'll eventually use both it shouldn't matter. Pick one and use the 0W20 oil.
I`ll use half and half, 0w20+5w30 Mobil synthetic. I am not use to thin oil, neither my engine, it has been working on Toyota´s Dino 5W30 oil since first service in May 2020, seven thousand Kms ago, sort of 4,400 miles. This Rav4 was made in japan, so I guess engine came with proper motor oil.
I`ll made the changes in half, just to register results, my idea is in the next four or five oil changes test it with 5W30, 0W20 and even 0w16 this in a step by step oil dilution.

First: 3 Qts. 5W30 + 2 Qts. 0w20= sort of: 3W26 (both are SN oils)
Second: 2 Qts. 5W30 + 3 Qts. 0w20= sort of 2w24
Third: 0w20
Fourth 0w16
Sixth: ? go to the one with best numbers.

I´ll make sure I share my results here.

First; The Weather:

IMG_1144.JPG

I`ll use half and half, 0w20+5w30 Mobil synthetic. I am not use to thin oil, neither my engine, it has been working on Toyota´s Dino 5W30 oil since first service in May 2020, seven thousand Kms ago, sort of 4,400 miles. This Rav4 was made in japan, so I guess engine came with proper motor oil.
I`ll made the changes in half, just to register results, my idea is in the next four or five oil changes test it with 5W30, 0W20 and even 0w16 this in a step by step oil dilution.

Fourth 0w16

What do you anticipate the UOA showing about the differences in the oil? Blacksone for one has stated that there is no statistically significant difference in UOA results between any oil they have tested. A $30 specrographic analysis isn't the tool for that.

Also, besides an undetectable and marginal fuel economy increase what mechanical benefit is there for a thinner oil?

My original idea to get to this forum was and still is to educate myself, for that: I thank you all so much for your kind answers.

0w16 oil and Mobil 1 oil filter it will be. Manual says it in English, Spanish and French.

Some testimonials of users of this 0w16 oil under high load and very warm climate, helped too.

First thought, honestly, is one of those counterfeit.

If not, then, okay.. me, I would use the smaller one first, then the larger, but that is just me. Although it should not much matter.

Just two days with new 0w16 Mobil1 oil and filter, and few oil and water temperature measures made; let me share with you:

Before changing the third 5W30 Toyota oil from dealer with a total of 7,200 miles (11,500 kms) and pour new 0w16 oil and do the same measures.

Temperature rising from cold start. Ambient temp: 5W30: 24c. 0W16: 19c.

After seven minutes of engine start idling, temperature rising of coolant and oil were like this:

5w30oil: 43c
0w16 oil: 40c

5w30 cool: 68c
0w16 cool: 65c

At a highway 20 miles trip at 75 mph with ambient temperature both of 25c. temperatures behave like this:

5w30 oil reach 94c before began to cool down, and coolant 89c before both oil and coolant got down to 88c
0w14 oil reach 91c before began to cool down, and coolant 90c before both oil and coolant got down to 86c

Engine load value at idle: 0w16 gave values in between 0.3 and 3% lower than 5w30.

Response was noticeable better with the new 0w16 oil as well as lower engine noise.

On gas consumption it seems to be better, but so far no numbers down yet.

I`ll do same tests as season changes and reach 35c (95f) during the summer.

A Blue Driver device was used to make the readings.

Thank you for reading and comments.

By the way I drive a 2019 2.5 Rav4 non hybrid in case I had not mention...now in the middle of the first gasoline tank already with new 0w16 Mobil 1 oil, this are my impressions: in the past with 5w30 I used to made effort with my right food to reach 20-20.5 mpg, now with not much effort it is giving 25 mpg from vehicle computer reading; this are too happy numbers I know, I`ll keep adding information.
Since I have a record of every gas refill and kilometers driven since first day we received the suv full gas tank from Toyota dealer in Mexico.
It was just after first service at local Toyota dealer that I begun to see this 20-22 mpg changed from 25mpg in the city for good, until the fourth oil change just over seven thousand miles odometer with this Toyota factory recommended 0w16 oil that mileage is looking like when original motor oil from Japan was used.

Original recommended oil sticker was removed, instead Toyota Mexico stick this one, they even suggest 10w30 motor oil...

Attachments

• IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 26

Fourth 0w16

First; The Weather:

View attachment 84795
Beautiful city...been there twice from a cruise ship. The Pacifico tastes much better there than in the US.

My lady has a camry non-hybrid with the same 2.5 dynamic force engine. I use 5w20 synthetic because I got it for next to nothing and Fram orange can ph4967. The car runs beautifully, I would stick to Xw20 weight and synthetic though.

Beautiful city...been there twice from a cruise ship. The Pacifico tastes much better there than in the US.

My lady has a camry non-hybrid with the same 2.5 dynamic force engine. I use 5w20 synthetic because I got it for next to nothing and Fram orange can ph4967. The car runs beautifully, I would stick to Xw20 weight and synthetic though.
Mazatlán is the same quiet place, just a bit too much crowded avenues because of return to schools and tourists from all over México. A lot of Canadians and US citizens lift the prices of houses in the best places.
I got 0w16 at a great price in Amazon.mx hope I can find this in the future, other wise and if the lost of oil is normal I’ll keep on the 0W16

Mazatlán is the same quiet place, just a bit too much crowded avenues because of return to schools and tourists from all over México. A lot of Canadians and US citizens lift the prices of houses in the best places.
I got 0w16 at a great price in Amazon.mx hope I can find this in the future, other wise and if the lost of oil is normal I’ll keep on the 0W16
0W16 is fine, there was no consumption with that oil on the Toyota prepaid service plan my girlfriend had. Generally there is little difference between 0w16 and any 0/5w20 especially in that region.

I believe the N1 is for 0W-16 oil while the F1/F2 is for 5W-30/0W-20.

Meanwhile, the aftermarket calls for 4386/4967/51394 sized filters on all the Dynamic Force M20/A25 engines and the 2018 “mid-cycle” Prius refresh of its 2ZR-FXE(which, BTW the filter mount for that is supposedly a direct-bolt on to replace the cartridge setup on Corollas and Prii if you want to ditch that awkward setup).

Back