Which oil would you choose from these three?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: omegaspeedy

Is there anything harm with me using a more robust oil like an 0w40 (I don't care about an increase in fuel burn, I just want best wear protection)

If you just want the absolute best wear protection use Redline, the film strength and the HTHS values are far superior to anything else of the same viscosity.

I have a supplier of Redline just down the road. Does it carry the specs required to keep the warranty guys happy?

It doesn't have the warranty appeasing specs, but you won't need them anyway. Hyundai are very well made and reliable, and Redline are expensive but trusted and respected the world over, used extensively by race teams in every form of Motorsport.

If you're really concerned, keep a bottle of warranty oil at home to use if you have to, but I'm pretty sure you'll donate it to someone when the warranty runs out.

If you just want the absolute best wear protection use Redline, the film strength and the HTHS values are far superior to anything else of the same viscosity.

Rubbish.
"If you just want the absolute best wear protection use Redline.........." this part of the statement is not true.

Last edited:
No need to go out of your way for Red Line when you have the oils you mention easily accessible. Close your eyes and pick, all are excellent.

helix ultra!!!

I would stay away from castrol...just my expiriences with it (hyundai was burning castrol oil....none with shell...)

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd run a 0W-30 if generally available. Does it get very hot in New Zealand?

Auckland summers are generally around mid 20's with occasional hight of 30 degrees C. I can get 0W30 which will drop the A40 spec. The W40 would probably help my head gear run more quietly?

Originally Posted By: virginoil

Rubbish.
"If you just want the absolute best wear protection use Redline.........." this part of the statement is not true.

How do you know its rubbish?

I tried Mobil1 0w40 (new life) on the 2.0 MPI Elantra. Its ok but I think the thicker viscosity isn't optimal. Look for 5W30 Mobil1

Castrol Edge 5w20 or GTX(mineral) 10w30 or Magnatec(semi synth) 5w30 are ok too.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w30(PurePlus) felt ok too. Shell Helix HX5 10W30 SN A3/B3 currently feels good.

I would go Shell>Castrol>Mobil1 in that order.

Originally Posted By: Hondacity
I tried Mobil1 0w40 (new life) on the 2.0 MPI Elantra. Its ok but I think the thicker viscosity isn't optimal. Look for 5W30 Mobil1

Castrol Edge 5w20 or GTX(mineral) 10w30 or Magnatec(semi synth) 5w30 are ok too.

Why do you think so? Here in EU cars are running on sae40 oils for decades without problems.....even those models with CVVT ( I have i30 1.4 CVVT )

And again......I will stay away from castrol oil....

Fathers i30 1.6 CRDi ( Turbodiesel)......at first OCI ( @20.000kms) service put in castrol 10w40 GTX....car was new but it burned almost 1 liter of that shi.... oil till next OCI.

After that I put Shell helix ultra 5w40 ( sythetic because it is TURBO) in that engine and it is not burning oil anymore and it has 130.000kms now.....not a single drop!

Same with shell HX7 10w40 in my 1.4 CVVT

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy

Rubbish.

Redline has no OEM approvals I am aware of and it has never substantiated that it provides the best wear protection when compared to the other oils that are mentioned. IMO its rubbish to make such a statement ?

In terms of film strength and HTHS values these are just tests that can be easily verified and so what if these are the higher than others by a small amount it doesn't mean better protection.

Redline an overrated oil and way over priced for street use however for track use you maybe correct. I get the feeling this is just parroting some of the Redline hype from years gone by.

New members surfing this site should be made aware of the truth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy

Rubbish.

Redline has no OEM approvals I am aware of and it has never substantiated that it provides the best wear protection when compared to the other oils that are mentioned. IMO its rubbish to make such a statement ?

In terms of film strength and HTHS values these are just tests that can be easily verified and so what if these are the higher than others by a small amount it doesn't mean better protection.

Redline an overrated oil and way over priced for street use however for track use you maybe correct. I get the feeling this is just parroting some of the Redline hype from years gone by.

New members surfing this site should be made aware of the truth.

Not having OEM approvals doesn't mean anything about the quality of the oil, only that the blender hasn't paid the thousands required to go through OEM testing. As a relatively small, low volume company they probably don't want to or can't afford to pay to have their oils tested.
A parallel we can draw is with Top Tier gas stations - the EPA says all gas has to meet the minimum standard, but only those that pay for the label are allowed to claim Top Tier.

Additive levels are limited by API SL SM SN and redline has too much moly and too much zinc to get the API approval.

Put another way, when you're shopping for a new watch, they all tell the time but the watch that is self winding and waterproof to 1000 metres will appeal more than most basic, stripped down manual winding watch.
I'm probably never going to dive deeper than 5 or 10 metres so I could buy a lesser rated watch, but it's reassuring to know that mine can go to 1000. It's just 'better'

Same applies to oil. If 8000HP top fuel dragsters use redline because nothing else performs at that level of fuel dilution then I'll use it with my weber carb, because carbs dilute more than injection.
If they protect high lift cam lobes and high spring pressure flat tappers, then it'll do good at protecting my cam and solid lifters.
If it takes the heat of a jet turbine engine it won't break down in my relatively low power density 4 cyl.

It does everything I want it to do with large safety margins, and focuses far more on engine protection than cat/dpf protection, and I want my oil to look after my engine.

Last edited:
Ok if you feel it provides best protection because of a dragster uses for fuel dilution etc but I am not convinced its best for street use.

Your statement about not getting approvals is a cop out Redline should be more responsible and get some approvals.

Some have stated on this site it is not as expensive as it is made out to be.

Sometimes best protection may mean change the oil more often as required by OEM guidelines for extreme conditions of use and NOT just use the most expensive oil.

Last edited:
"Best" is a very subjective term, the guy on a budget thinks the cheapest oil is best but the environmentally minded 'green' guy thinks recycled 0w16 oil is best.
Everyone has their own definition.
My thinking is that I want my oil to protect my engine as much as possible, so I see redline as the 'best'

I don't know how expensive manufacturer approvals are, but I see on the Redlne website that they 'recommend' their oils for certain applications. I believe that their chemists and formulators are clever enough to know how to produce fluids that satisfy the requirements but a small company that employs just a few people, and who doesn't turnover hundreds of millions every year, a la Shell, XOM et al, they just don't have the liquidity. I know I don't. Maybe you could fund their approvals?

I agree with your last point 100%. A sensible maintenance regime backed up with trended UOAs is the only way to go, regardless of the fluid used.
Just remember that even with these precautions in place, a superior fluid will provide superior performance regardless of chosen OCI.

Originally Posted By: wemay
No need to go out of your way for Red Line when you have the oils you mention easily accessible. Close your eyes and pick, all are excellent.

x1,000,000

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'll go with Castrol Edge (because black is beautiful
grin.gif
).

They are all good, but I would go for Castrol Edge (because gold is beautiful down south), and I like castrol.

Don't forget valvoline synpower they also make a 0w40 A3/B4

Also, they have SynPower FE 5w30 which is ACEA A5/B5 and Ford M2C-913D which I believe is made for the modern Ford EcoBoost engine which I think is a similar turbo GDI engine to yours.

I believe your engine calls for A5

I'd be happy with any mentioned that were on sale.

Right on! I went on the Castrol New Zealand site and they get the gold bottle Edge 0W40 there. We only get the black bottle Edge 0W40 here. I'm like you,I prefer Castrol products as well
11.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5
I'll go with Castrol Edge (because black is beautiful
grin.gif
).

They are all good, but I would go for Castrol Edge (because gold is beautiful down south), and I like castrol.

Don't forget valvoline synpower they also make a 0w40 A3/B4

Also, they have SynPower FE 5w30 which is ACEA A5/B5 and Ford M2C-913D which I believe is made for the modern Ford EcoBoost engine which I think is a similar turbo GDI engine to yours.

I believe your engine calls for A5

I'd be happy with any mentioned that were on sale.

Right on! I went on the Castrol New Zealand site and they get the gold bottle Edge 0W40 there. We only get the black bottle Edge 0W40 here. I'm like you,I prefer Castrol products as well
11.gif

Cheers to you aquariuscsm.

I feel the gold bottles reflect the classiness of the Castrol Edge products. I've been using them since they were called Formula-R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back