Which oil make your engine run nicer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I had my Altima I was on a quest. I don't think I ever used the same oil twice, it always had a slight tick PU 5w30 was the best 30grade but it without question ran the smoothest on Castrol Syntec 5w40 moreso than M1 0w40.

PU in the Sonata.

Still experimenting in the Chargers. Conventional PYB has been pretty darn good.

I've noticed that any of my vehicles runs differently on different oils. And I pay attention to how my car runs. And I'll roll my eyes any time someone tells me how much better their car runs on a particular type of oil.

My truck liked running on QSUD, the engine really liked it and felt and ran great. It was easy on the oil. Then I had put Castrol Edge SPT in it since I got it cheap, but it felt like the engine didn't like it as much. It was harder on the oil. Now I am back to Shell products again with Pennzoil Platinum. So far very Quiet and running good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've noticed that any of my vehicles runs differently on different oils. And I pay attention to how my car runs. And I'll roll my eyes any time someone tells me how much better their car runs on a particular type of oil.

Good for you, we all have diffrent opinions, thats why most people wrote their experiences on this topic, so that means you can do your roll eye on pretty much for everyone on this forum?
Because I'm getting diffrent answers from diffrent people with diffrent cars with diffrent oil.

Amsoil is all I will use, it has most definitely made my car even better on gas then it was already. I will not use any other oil from now on only Amsoil just like it says in my Sig.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
And I pay attention to how my car runs. And I'll roll my eyes any time someone tells me how much better their car runs on a particular type of oil.

I'm with you. The only times I notice a difference is if I make a big switch in viscosity, where I might hear a very marginal difference and see different oil pressures. I highly doubt I could tell the difference in the same engine between Supertech 5w-30 and the fanciest, most expensive synthetic 5w-30 I could find.

I've seen different consumption with different brands and viscosities in certain applications, but that's another matter.

No matter if it runs "nicer" or not, whatever I pour in it is going to be there for the duration of the OCI...

This whole post reminds me of the audiophool guys that spend $$$ for cryogenically treated wiring to connect speakers, gold plated electrical outlets, etc because their stereo system will sound better... Never mind all the the system's PCBs have tin solder connections and copper traces, plus the house wiring is copper with probably a aluminum service cable into the house...

So far in my 3MZ-FE Castrol GTX, and QSUD have been the smoothest/quietest. Wife`s car gets what ever the dealer uses. Since we switched Mercedes dealers, I`ll have to find out if it`s still going to be Mobil 0W-40. Her 06 called for strictly 0W-40, this one has many more options according to the owners manual. Even a 5W-30??

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Since we switched Mercedes dealers, I`ll have to find out if it`s still going to be Mobil 0W-40. Her 06 called for strictly 0W-40,

Most MB dealers now use M1 5w-40 Formula M in pretty much all gasoline engines.

As for my 530i, it sounds great with all oils.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Since we switched Mercedes dealers, I`ll have to find out if it`s still going to be Mobil 0W-40. Her 06 called for strictly 0W-40,

Most MB dealers now use M1 5w-40 Formula M in pretty much all gasoline engines.

As for my 530i, it sounds great with all oils.
smile.gif

5W-40 huh? Good to know thanks Pete.

I've had QS Green bottle and around 2k or 2500 miles, the engine would be noisier than it did when the oil was fresh.

I've also had QS synthetic and would not get as noisy as the green bottle QS, but it still gets noisy the more miles you put in it.

Now I'm running with Castrol Sythetic (gold bottle) and still sounds like the day I poured it in, although the oil is black, but that's typical of hyundai GDI engines.

I will be sending in two UOAs for my car, one is QS UD and the other will be this Castrol oil.

btw, my car did have Kendall Full synthetic and that was also quiet throughout the whole OCI.

All the weights were 5w20, except for the kendall being 5w30

QSUD quieted my 4 banger, and the lawnmower ran noticeably quieter, also. I wonder if it would be of some value in my noisy Cuisinart?

Our Murcielago and Enzo have no insulation around the engines. There are solid mounts to the frames such that vibrations are easily felt. My wife is very sensitive to the slightest of changes in her Lamborghini. If the tire pressure drops slowly from 42 PSI to 37 PSI she will complain bitterly.

The Murcie became more quiet (engine wise) after I dropped the OEM 5W-40 AGIP and put in 0W-30 Mobil 1. Later I changed to Red Line 5W-20 and the engine became even more smooth and quiet. My wife refused to allow me to change to the 20 grade Renewable Lubricants oil as she was satisfied and trusted the Red Line oil.

I changed to the RLI oil without telling me wife. She drove the car to work and back then confronted me asking if I put in the "new" oil. I confessed that I did. She told me she was very happy with the change as the engine was again more smooth and even more quiet of mechanical noises.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: AEHaas

The Murcie became more quiet (engine wise) after I dropped the OEM 5W-40 AGIP and put in 0W-30 Mobil 1. Later I changed to Red Line 5W-20 and the engine became even more smooth and quiet. My wife refused to allow me to change to the 20 grade Renewable Lubricants oil as she was satisfied and trusted the Red Line oil.

I changed to the RLI oil without telling me wife. She drove the car to work and back then confronted me asking if I put in the "new" oil. I confessed that I did. She told me she was very happy with the change as the engine was again more smooth and even more quiet of mechanical noises.
aehaas

There's no question that dropping from the Agip 5w-40 to the M1 AFE 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.0cP, 166 VI) was a significant drop in viscosity but the subsiquent changes to RL 5W-20 (HTHSV 3.3cP, 145 VI) and RLI 0W-20 (HTHSV 3.0-3.3cP, 178 VI) was actually an increase in operational viscosity, especially for the heavy low VI Red line oil.
If you did notice a further reduction in noise, harshness etc in changing away from the light M1, it could have been due to
RL's ester based chemistry with high moly content and the bio-ester chemistry of RLI but it certainly wasn't viscosity related.
IMO, engines due tend to get smoother after they have been broken it a bit so that's possibly part of what you've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back