Which oil is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was everyone's sentiment, this site wouldn't be necessary (not that it is "necessary" anyway) and everyone would be running NAPA syn or whatever... Since its on sale got $2.99 until the end of the year... Yadayadayada

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Red91
Its 5W-20....it's an ILSAC oil...they're all the same....we seriously need some interesting threads in this piece. How about Penrite HPR 30 vs Green Kendall GT-1 vs Delo 400 vs SF Havoline Supreme 20W-50? Now that's a topic.
smile.gif

OK, get it started
laugh.gif

Given this choice, I'll take an asphalt base over a paraffin any day. Dollar General stores have a sale on "Pride of Texas" 10w-20 API service SC. Be sure to shake the can vigorously or the additives will settle in the bottom.
28.gif

Either is a top tier conventional.
I'd happily use either over their various competitors in this space.

Originally Posted By: vronline
If this was everyone's sentiment, this site wouldn't be necessary (not that it is "necessary" anyway) and everyone would be running NAPA syn or whatever... Since its on sale got $2.99 until the end of the year... Yadayadayada

And Napa synthetic is better than the two oils the OP asked about. At $2.99 a qt, it's likely cheaper than both of them too. So unless somebody gave it to you, I don't know why you would spend more money for an inferior product.

Well I'll hitch my wagon to the Kendall, but the Delo I've got in the Roadmaster is doing quite well. Penrite looks like one insanely good current oil, and I'd just like to have some of that Havoline to try out in OPEs and what not.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
IM not so sure what Pennzoil has anymore.. We will find out soon when PQIA does their thing because i don't think Pennzoil listed a late 2016 PDS .. But if im wrong please post it.

We've been through this before. Why do you need a new data sheet? We're still on SN/GF-5. Pennzoil conventional still meets all the same specifications that it did two years ago, and longer, even. So, if nothing has changed, Shell has not had an overriding reason to significantly reformulate. If they haven't significantly reformulated or changed approvals, there's no need to update the data sheet.

What are you expecting to see different? Virtually all ILSAC oils of the same grade are far more similar than they are different. If we're talking PYB 5w-30, I'll tell you what you'll see, and what you won't see. They may not show HTHS, but you know it will be 3.1 +/- 0.1. VI probably won't be too far from 160 to 165. KV40 and KV100 will be low nominal for the grade. Phosphorus won't be listed, but we know where it will be, pushing at the upper limit. MRV, CCS, and pour point will be middling for the grade among conventionals and not be challenged whatsoever by your winter climate. It'll have the basic Ford spec, the Chrysler spec, and they may note the obsolete GM conventional spec. Other than a Pennzoil logo and some contact information, that about covers it.

Cheaper isn't always the case. We can always cherry pick pricing, but up here lately, for whatever reason, HM oils and other synthetic blends haven't been rolled back lately. Walmart just had a VWB sale for $9.88 a jug. I haven't seen any synthetic blends in Canada for that price, at least for many, many years. And, PYB gets rolled back on occasion here, too. At our Walmarts, it can be $13.88 or less, and even has had such Black Friday specials in the past as the VWB one I listed. When a blend here is rolled back at Walmart, you're lucky to get it for $19.88.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
Which oil is better, Pennzoil 5w20 conventional or Havoline 5w20 conventional?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Valvoline 5w20 conventional

OP asked about Pennzoil and Havoline (not Valvoline)

I would chose Pennzoil.

Indeed. I read the post and decided neither one were as good IMO as VWB. Why so serious??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back