2011 Toyotoa RAV4 Limited

I just acquired this SUV from a friend. One owner and well taken care of. Has 166k on the odometer. The manual calls for 0W or 5W 20. Is 5W20 conventional ok for this SUV? I couldnt see anywhere of dexos is recommended for it or not.

I’d just run an 0W20 synthetic since the price between synthetic and conventional (really a synthetic blend nowadays) is so minimal (extra $1-$2 for 5qt jug at Walmart). A synthetic oil like Supertech or Quaker State is less expensive than many blends offered from the other big names and they’re good oils. Dexos is a GM certification so no, you do not require a Dexos rated oil. But you can certainly run a Dexos rated oil if you want.

Keep an eye on oil consumption if it has the 2.5 engine with that many miles on it.

I've run ST 5-30 synthetic and Penz Plat 5-30 (low VI for 5-30) with excellent results in 2012 model but I'm also doing 6k OCI so not pushing the 2.5 much at all.

For the price run a cheap syn. kirkland(costco), amazon, napa, or supertech. over conventional oil.
I'd use 5w30.

Back