New Valvoline Oil

I could have sworn you made mention somewhere about seeing clean areas forming inside the oil fill area, presumably because of the R&P.

As I mentioned early on this thread I was trying it in our bought new by us, nice weather, exceptionally well maintained, and respectfully driven 255K mile Honda Element (I was going to run three 3K OCIs with filter changes each time).

Anyway, while closing up the garage tonight I thought of this thread. I removed the oil filler cap to find this. For years this metal baffle has looked varnished. These are not funnel marks. This is new since putting in R&P. The oil has 1,200 miles on it. I know this car inside and out and those "marks" are new.

See the little clean areas that seem to be forming? The side of the baffle gets no direct splash, but even with it not being splashed, is R&P cleaning it? If so I can't I can't imagine what it might be doing in areas with high flows, direct splash, and friction.

Weird, eh?

Scott

View attachment 219256
Yep. I posted in another R&P thread. This was after 4 days/54 miles

Screenshot_20240511_165243_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240511_165256_Gallery.jpg

I could have sworn you made mention somewhere about seeing clean areas forming inside the oil fill area, presumably because of the R&P.

As I mentioned early on this thread I was trying it in our bought new by us, nice weather, exceptionally well maintained, and respectfully driven 255K mile Honda Element (I was going to run three 3K OCIs with filter changes each time).

Anyway, while closing up the garage tonight I thought of this thread. I removed the oil filler cap to find this. For years this metal baffle has looked varnished. These are not funnel marks. This is new since putting in R&P. The oil has 1,200 miles on it. I know this car inside and out and those "marks" are new.

See the little clean areas that seem to be forming? The side of the baffle gets no direct splash, but even with it not being splashed, is R&P cleaning it? If so I can't I can't imagine what it might be doing in areas with high flows, direct splash, and friction.

Weird, eh?

Scott

View attachment 219256
They claim the oil will clean anything it touches. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Now that I see those again, I don't see how any oil could have much effect on that area especially after 54 miles. I now suspect the crud was shifted simply from taking the cap on and off, which clearly has not been done much in the past.

JMO.

Now that I see those again, I don't see how any oil could have much effect on that area especially after 54 miles. I now suspect the crud was shifted simply from taking the cap on and off, which clearly has not been done much in the past.

JMO.
That was my belief too. But then I saw what R&P *seemed* to be doing to our Element after just 1,200 miles.

Scott

JMO.
I don't think so. Before i changed the oil, I tried scraping it and nothing moved. Plus, the cap doesn't feel like it's touching it when I threaded it on.

I'm just going to post the results I see. I'm sure some people will find a reason to dispute what, if any, results we have (or dont). I'm just as interested as anybody else and have nothing to gain financially or otherwise. This isn't even my car. It's purely an experiment on my end as I change my brother's oil.

This oil is apparently changed every 6ish months according to my dad, but he took it to an express lube place. So who knows.

I'm just going to post the results I see. I'm sure some people will find a reason to dispute what, if any, results we have (or dont). I'm just as interested as anybody else and have nothing to gain financially or otherwise. This isn't even my car. It's purely an experiment on my end as I change my brother's oil.

This oil is apparently changed every 6ish months according to my dad, but he took it to an express lube place. So who knows.
I don't think so. Before i changed the oil, I tried scraping it and nothing moved. Plus, the cap doesn't feel like it's touching it when I threaded it on.
It could go either way - and I’m pretty sure it will 😶

Yep. I posted in another R&P thread. This was after 4 days/54 miles

View attachment 219278

View attachment 219279
Impossible. It is all just a big marketing gimmick. No product could ever work as advertised. High-speed Internet, probably actually slow-speed dial up. Cold beer, probably warm and skunky ginger ale. Ground beef, probably just shredded chicken. Everything is just a big bamboozle.

Back