Which oil for HONDA D engine?

Hi,
Which oil is better for my '96 Civic with D14A4 engine, Europe model?

Now I'm using 5W-40 API SN, ACEA A3/B4, but many people's suggest me that's better to use 5W-30 ILSAC GF-5 or GF-6A.

mannual recommend API SG or above 🙂

I vote for 5w-30 with the proper certification.

Attachments

• Honda-Oil-Chart 2013.jpg
    Honda-Oil-Chart 2013.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 198
I had an old 99' Civic with the D16Y8 and ran 5W30 / 10W30 , it would see close to redline daily (5 speed manual ). Never had any issues.

The question was ILSAC or ACEA 🙂

I know for highest HTHS values, but does we need it? I think that 2.6 HTHS is enough.
What about ACEA A5/B5? It is similar with ILSAC GF-5.
@kebabaluba which grade?
A3/B4 most common grades are 5W-40 and 10W-40.
Temperature here is between -15°C - 42°C
I think that 5W-30 is better for winter, better pour point.....
My OCI is max 6000 km.

Both have a 5W winter rating which guarantees pumpability down to about -30. Pour point doesn’t accurately model nor represent the behavior at low temperatures.

An oil with demonstrated ACEA A3/B4 performance is by definition a better oil.

Last edited:
Both have a 5W winter rating which guarantees pumpability down to about -30. Pour point doesn’t accurately model or represent the behavior at low temperatures.

An oil with demonstrated ACEA A3/B4 performance is by definition a better oil.
Does it also refers to Japanese vehicles?
Because nowadays they used 0W-8, 0W-16, 0W-20...
One more question 🙂
Does I'm right that ILSAC spec is better because that oils are made on a thinner base?

I know for highest HTHS values, but does we need it? I think that 2.6 HTHS is enough.
@kebabaluba which grade?
My OCI is max 6000 km.

GF5 is old. We now have GF6

@kebabaluba which grade?
My OCI is max 6000 km.
Just to give you an example. My car uses 5W-30 A3/B4 oil which have HTHS over 3.5 mpa. I once tried 0W-30 A5/B5 oil, my car used more oil than it did with A3/B4 oi. HTHS is something you should think about. Older cars don`t necessarily like low HTHS oils like your old car. Besides there is plenty of superb 5W-30 A3/B4 oils like Castrol Edge.

Here in Serbia we don't have a lot of choice for 5W-30 A3/B4, that's the problem 🙂
The next oil change i like to try Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W-30 or Mobil1 ESP 5W-30.

Here in Serbia we don't have a lot of choice for 5W-30 A3/B4, that's the problem 🙂
The next oil change i like to try Petro Canada Supreme Synthetic 5W-30 or Mobil1 ESP 5W-30.
The grade is irrelevant as they will all have the same minimum HT/HS. Pick any that has a winter rating appropriate for your expected starting conditions.

Back