Which oil for '18 Mercedes E 300?

Since MB229.6 is HTHS of just 3,0 mPа*s I'd prefer MB229.5. If you're leaning towards Ravenol I'd suggest going for
RSP 5W-30. IMO after warranty you're also fine running MB229.51, which REP 5W-40 and RUP 5W-40 come with, as
current DI-turbos tend to run fine with C3-like mid-SAPS oils. This should result in reduced IVD built-up. Plenty of
excellent UOAs on European forums.

The manual calls for 229.5 OR 229.6. 229.6 is the extended drain, fuel saving solution such as Ravenol FDS (5W-30). However you can also use 229.5 especially in warmer climates like "here". Ravenol VST will be my choice in the near future it is 5W-40, which meets 229.5. I'm currently using FDS 5W-30.

I change the oil myself, so $100.00 for 10 LITERS of oil for a $70,000.00 car doesn't bother me. I also prefer a full synthetic with plenty of PAO and very little VII's, which Ravenol provides. I think it will protect that little turbo a lot better than some Walmart brands.

Oh, and I change it once a year or whenever the service indicator tells me. I don't pay much attention to the mileage.
I don't think there's actually any Supertech oil which is Walmart's brand that meets MB 229.5. Exxon/Mobil is still one of the largest oil companies out there and Mobil is the recommended oil by Mercedes in the US and is also the supplier to the dealer. Walmart just happens to be the largest retailer in the country and hence can offer the lowest price on Mobil as they have a lot more volume that smaller stores like Autozone/Advance Auto don't have and hence can't sell it as cheaply.

Walmart just happens to be the largest retailer in the country and hence can offer the lowest price on Mobil as they have a lot more volume that smaller stores like Autozone/Advance Auto don't have and hence can't sell it as cheaply.
Except it hasn't been available around here for about a year.

On way from car lot today with the MB E300, stopped by Wally to get some Mob1...picked up jug and 1 qt. thinking it held 6qts. Found Wix filter at O'reilly for $20. Got it changed out and it looked low on dip stick; found in manual afterwards it holds 7.4qts. Back to Wally in the morn. Old filter looked good, oil had seen better days. At least it showed full on dip stick so i'm hoping it doesn't use any oil.

BTW: Mob1 5-40 was rated 229.3 and 0-40 was 229.5 so I used the latter not knowing what 229.3 meant. I'll prob be changing it out again in 5K anyway. Likely will stay with Mob1.

Last edited:
The manual calls for 229.5 OR 229.6. 229.6 is the extended drain, fuel saving solution such as Ravenol FDS (5W-30). However you can also use 229.5 especially in warmer climates like "here". Ravenol VST will be my choice in the near future it is 5W-40, which meets 229.5. I'm currently using FDS 5W-30.

I change the oil myself, so $100.00 for 10 LITERS of oil for a $70,000.00 car doesn't bother me. I also prefer a full synthetic with plenty of PAO and very little VII's, which Ravenol provides. I think it will protect that little turbo a lot better than some Walmart brands.

Oh, and I change it once a year or whenever the service indicator tells me. I don't pay much attention to the mileage.
i thought the .6 was a 30 grade only.

Good kits no doubt about that but I'd rather spend less as it's still the same. Id just get Quaker state euro 5w-40 at Walmart if available at your local store or order. Has both the mb 229 specs along with a3/b4 bmw ll 01 and other notable ones. The oil filter appears to quickly cross reference to the stp s11473 which is $5.50 and does look Identical. So I'd rather spend half or probably less than half and change more often instead if I really wanted to. But then again it won't truly matter. Not to be a pessimist but it's a modern Mercedes. They don't make them live 300k like they used to. Something big will fail before oil or oil filter related failures will happen. Although it's a 2018 Mercedes it's just not that worth it to dump liqui moly and hengst filters in as it will still live up to 200k with crappy oil and filters. In my truck with 309k I ran both pretty crappy oil and cheap low filters filters much worse than QS and STP by a snails mile and I hardly have any oil consumption and great compression today and she runs smooth with no tick or issue with all original internals minus a timing chain kit and that's it. You don't really start to see the dividends or super premium oil and filters until you hit 200k in most vehicles. That's when the reduced wear shows. Most will get rid of their vehicles long before or the vehicle will get rid of the owner before the owner wants to.

If you want to get either kits go for it, it's your money but I'm just giving my 2 cents on how you can spend yours and will most likely never see a difference in the end. It's 100% true that better oil and filters will make an engine live longer but will the rest of the engine or vehicle live long enough to even reach that point.

Something for the bitog philosophers and intellectuals to ponder while gazing at the cosmos within a shelf full of motor oil.

Looked today; local Wally did not have QS in 229.5. Mobil 1 did.

Looked today; local Wally did not have QS in 229.5. Mobil 1 did.
May have to order as each store has different stock or just check if neighboring ones have it as not all stores carry the same stuff. I always check on the app first to see which stores carry what. The Quaker state euro lineup is just a rebranded Pennzoil platinum euro lineup if you look online. They're both owned by Shell the parent company so no surprise at all. The non euro oils do appear to differ.

The E-300 is a gas engine so I would do MB 229.5 which would be Mobil 1 0w40. At Walmart for $22.37. FCPEuro is also good if you're planning on sending the old oil back under their lifetime warranty for everything they sell. Too much of a hassle for me, but in theory you just have to buy it once. I think the shipping costs of sending it back might just make Mobil 1 with the current $10 rebate simpler. The dealers use Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40, which is harder to find. Any MB 229.5 oil on MB's approved list is fine.

Mobil is actually the OE recommendation in the US. People used to like Castrol over Mobil as they had BMW LL-01 approval when Mobil didn't but now they both no longer have it. They're both about the same so price wise, I'd go with Mobil.
I am not a fan of M1 0W40 in DI engines. Too much SAPS.

On way from car lot today with the MB E300, stopped by Wally to get some Mob1...picked up jug and 1 qt. thinking it held 6qts. Found Wix filter at O'reilly for $20. Got it changed out and it looked low on dip stick; found in manual afterwards it holds 7.4qts. Back to Wally in the morn. Old filter looked good, oil had seen better days. At least it showed full on dip stick so i'm hoping it doesn't use any oil.

BTW: Mob1 5-40 was rated 229.3 and 0-40 was 229.5 so I used the latter not knowing what 229.3 meant. I'll prob be changing it out again in 5K anyway. Likely will stay with Mob1.
First things first.
1. Mobil1 0W40 is exceptional oil, but in the future, I would stay away as it has a huge amount of SAPS. DI engines and high SAPS don't go together very well.
2. Dealership did not use any Mobil1 5W40. They used M1 5W40 Formula M probably. This one you saw in Wal Mart if FS X2, which is not MB229.5 and as 0W40, has also a huge amount of SAPS.

Run that M1, but if it was my car, I would switch to Castrol 0W40, QS 5W40.

Except it hasn't been available around here for about a year.
Yeah, that's just your local store. Try a few others. The ones around me have them, they even have the box of Mobil 1 0w40, wish those would go on clearance but they haven't yet.

What dealers use is Mobil1 Formula M or Mercedes OEM oil, both available on Amazon and eBay. I wouldn’t use M1 0w40, edyvw explained exactly why. Either Oem 5w40 or Castrol 0w40, the latter is cheaper and easier to source. Good luck with the vehicle!

Since new? Or just the last time?
Going by Carfax it was serviced regularly, I did not ask him specifically about every change. I used to live in MD and EuroMotorCars has been there a long time. Last change was @ 41K and I changed it at 45K. Old filter was a MB, oil fairly black, so I feel sure that was the last one done.

i thought the .6 was a 30 grade only.
You mean like straight 30 grade? No, there are 0W-30 and 5W-30 grades available. Most of them in other countries probably, you know, like Fuchs and Galp. There is even a Mobil 1 FS LV 0W-30 that meets the spec. My owners manual doesn't state a required grade, just either 229.5 or 229.6.

tc1446 said:
Picking car up today...will check manual.

Says 229.5
This manual is edition "B" for a 2018 E300 if that helps.
Oil1.jpg

Thanks folks for good feedback. I thought I was doing my "new" car a good turn by putting in Euro M1 0-40, 229.5,.....now I want to run back to Wally and get some low SAPs stuff. Maybe soon Wally will have QS. Have to order a new MityVac so I can give it a try after I get a couple thousand miles on whats in there now. I'll just look at it as a useful clean up! . :)

Checked out the air filter and cabin filter today and they can stand replacing so I'll do that soon. Spent some time giving it a spray wax as well and detailing the wheels.

I need to find a local person with lots of patience to go over the multitude of gadgets that I don't begin to understand as I don't do well with manuals; I blame it on age! LOL.

Thanks folks for good feedback. I thought I was doing my "new" car a good turn by putting in Euro M1 0-40, 229.5,.....now I want to run back to Wally and get some low SAPs stuff. Maybe soon Wally will have QS. Have to order a new MityVac so I can give it a try after I get a couple thousand miles on whats in there now. I'll just look at it as a useful clean up! . :)

Checked out the air filter and cabin filter today and they can stand replacing so I'll do that soon. Spent some time giving it a spray wax as well and detailing the wheels.

I need to find a local person with lots of patience to go over the multitude of gadgets that I don't begin to understand as I don't do well with manuals; I blame it on age! LOL.
People on the Mercedes forum use Mobil 1 0w40 all the time. Don't get too worked up over it. Mobil 1 and Castrol are basically the two favorites here. They both have 229.5 approval so it doesn't matter as much you think.

Wally's does have the QS now but it's not low saps although it uses a SN Plus or SP formulation that is very GDI friendly. The only true low saps Euro oil you'll find at Wally's I believe is the Pennzoil Euro L, I don't know if it's Benz 229.5 or not but it doesn't carry any VAG approvals.

Wally's does have the QS now but it's not low saps although it uses a SN Plus or SP formulation that is very GDI friendly. The only true low saps Euro oil you'll find at Wally's I believe is the Pennzoil Euro L, I don't know if it's Benz 229.5 or not but it doesn't carry any VAG approvals.
It does list MB 229.51 but I want to stay with 0-40 rather than 0-30. Thanks for feedback. Learned a lot with this thread.

Last edited:
t does list MB 229.51 but I want to stay with 0-40 rather than 0-30.
The PP Euro L (and other 229.51 oils) are what you'd consider a "thick" w30, so if you're worried about using it in the climate you live in, I wouldn't.
It's a great oil, easily available, cheap to buy. I'd use with utmost confidence.

Back