Which oil for '18 Mercedes E 300?

Mercedes Oil Change Kit 5W-40 - Liqui Moly 2701800109.7L

Mercedes Oil Change Kit 5W-40 - Liqui Moly 2701800109.7L

Includes 7 liters of Leichtlauf High Tech Engine Oil, drain plug and Hengst oil filter.
C300, C350e, E300, GLC300, SLC300, SLK300
Liqui Moly

Mercedes Oil Change Kit 5W-40 - Liqui Moly Molygen 2701800109.7L

Mercedes Oil Change Kit 5W-40 - Liqui Moly Molygen 2701800109.7L

Includes 7 liters of Molygen Engine Oil, drain plug and Hengst oil filter.
C300, GLC300, SLK300, C350e, SLC300, E300

I don't have any experience with LiquiMoly, so all I can say is that as long as they have 229.5, either will be fine. Personally, I'd go with M1 0W-40, but those oil change kits don't seem to be that much more expensive.

Last edited:
If you are buying the kit at FCP call and ask their customer service, I am sure they'll provide and answer.

You can also look at the customer reviews!!!

They both look like they fit the same models. Choose either one of them, and you'll be fine.

But they both don't have the same approvals. In fact one doesn't have any approvals at all.
You're right, I would go with the top one. The bottom one says "recommended for". Assuming the car needs a 229.5 approval.

Funny how they put the letter in German with what I assume is the 229.5 approval for the first one.

No other kit with something else than LM?

Your manual will most likely say MB229.5 and if it does you're fine with anything that comes with that.
"Freigabe" = approval. Recommendations are more or less worthless. ECS Tuning is another source worth looking for such kits.

Your manual will most likely say MB229.5 and if it does you're fine with anything that comes with that.
"Freigabe" = approval. Recommendations are more or less worthless. ECS Tuning is another source worth looking for such kits.
ESC doesn't stock a filter, otherwise I would order from them.

Just now called the previous dealer in Md that sold/serviced the E300 since new; they said they used Mob1 5-40 so I will continue with that. Thanks for feedback everyone.

Good kits no doubt about that but I'd rather spend less as it's still the same. Id just get Quaker state euro 5w-40 at Walmart if available at your local store or order. Has both the mb 229 specs along with a3/b4 bmw ll 01 and other notable ones. The oil filter appears to quickly cross reference to the stp s11473 which is $5.50 and does look Identical. So I'd rather spend half or probably less than half and change more often instead if I really wanted to. But then again it won't truly matter. Not to be a pessimist but it's a modern Mercedes. They don't make them live 300k like they used to. Something big will fail before oil or oil filter related failures will happen. Although it's a 2018 Mercedes it's just not that worth it to dump liqui moly and hengst filters in as it will still live up to 200k with crappy oil and filters. In my truck with 309k I ran both pretty crappy oil and cheap low filters filters much worse than QS and STP by a snails mile and I hardly have any oil consumption and great compression today and she runs smooth with no tick or issue with all original internals minus a timing chain kit and that's it. You don't really start to see the dividends or super premium oil and filters until you hit 200k in most vehicles. That's when the reduced wear shows. Most will get rid of their vehicles long before or the vehicle will get rid of the owner before the owner wants to.

If you want to get either kits go for it, it's your money but I'm just giving my 2 cents on how you can spend yours and will most likely never see a difference in the end. It's 100% true that better oil and filters will make an engine live longer but will the rest of the engine or vehicle live long enough to even reach that point.

Something for the bitog philosophers and intellectuals to ponder while gazing at the cosmos within a shelf full of motor oil.

The E-300 is a gas engine so I would do MB 229.5 which would be Mobil 1 0w40. At Walmart for $22.37. FCPEuro is also good if you're planning on sending the old oil back under their lifetime warranty for everything they sell. Too much of a hassle for me, but in theory you just have to buy it once. I think the shipping costs of sending it back might just make Mobil 1 with the current $10 rebate simpler. The dealers use Mobil 1 Formula M 5w40, which is harder to find. Any MB 229.5 oil on MB's approved list is fine.

Mobil is actually the OE recommendation in the US. People used to like Castrol over Mobil as they had BMW LL-01 approval when Mobil didn't but now they both no longer have it. They're both about the same so price wise, I'd go with Mobil.

The manual calls for 229.5 OR 229.6. 229.6 is the extended drain, fuel saving solution such as Ravenol FDS (5W-30). However you can also use 229.5 especially in warmer climates like "here". Ravenol VST will be my choice in the near future it is 5W-40, which meets 229.5. I'm currently using FDS 5W-30.

I change the oil myself, so $100.00 for 10 LITERS of oil for a $70,000.00 car doesn't bother me. I also prefer a full synthetic with plenty of PAO and very little VII's, which Ravenol provides. I think it will protect that little turbo a lot better than some Walmart brands.

Oh, and I change it once a year or whenever the service indicator tells me. I don't pay much attention to the mileage.

Back