Which oil do you think is better?

1) Castrol 0w 40
2) Mobil 1 0w 40
What's available and what's cheapest
I'm in the same boat (2007 N54) although I just changed it with M1 that is LL-01 that I had on hand. Since Castrol seems to be only 5W30 or 5W40, whaddya think? The car was designed for 5W30 but I've been running on M1 0W40 for 10 years....I get it fellas it likely doesn't matter, but this is an oil forum lol

I'm in the same boat (2007 N54) although I just changed it with M1 that is LL-01 that I had on hand. Since Castrol seems to be only 5W30 or 5W40, whaddya think? The car was designed for 5W30 but I've been running on M1 0W40 for 10 years....I get it fellas it likely doesn't matter, but this is an oil forum lol
The engine was designed for an HTHS of around 3.5cP, not a specific grade of oil. LL-01 has that stipulation (3.5cP or higher) and this included 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40 historically, with only recently the 0W-40's all getting removed because of changes/updates to the approval.

The car is 10 years old.
And this discussion is over a year old.

Both are fine oils. Guessing that, along with 99.6% of the rest of Californians, you live in a warmer part of the state, I would recommend the 5W-40. If you are in the 0.4% that live in somewhere like Big Bear or Tehachapi, then I would choose the 0W-40.

The oils didn't change, the approval did, long after his car was out of warranty. It's a nothing burger in terms of warranty because he doesn't have one, and the oil, because the oil met the performance requirements originally.

You stated:
mahanddeem said:
Pick the one that explicitly state LL approval.

Predicating it on:
Other jibberish doesn't count especially as far as warranty and lawyers exist.

Which in no way applies in this case, because the car is a decade old and out of warranty. So, there's no warranty nor any lawyers that are going to be involved at any juncture here. Ergo, there's no risk in using an oil that previously, for many, MANY years, was LL-01 and only recently lost it, along with every other 0W-40, because BMW changed the test criteria, which had absolutely nothing to do with his application.

If you had a technical reason to contest the use of a previously approved 0W-40 in this application, then this would be a welcome discussion, but you don't, and when I pointed out the age of the vehicle and fact it was out of warranty, you quipped that I should simply ignore the foundation for your assertion while letting the assertion stand. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Back