Which is the best way to check the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it needs to be stressed again. That whatever ritual you use to check your oil, do it the same way each time.

Level ground is one part that is also very important.

Level & cold before start, gives accurate reading every time(my preferred method)...

Level, hot and five minute wait is going to give 99.9% the same reading as above...

Level, cold start and shutdown will give a false reading unless you wait several hours...

Same every time isn't necessary... If you were to use the last example every time, you'd be getting a false reading every time... Use a correct method...

I do cold, over night (or after several hours) because it is the easiest. I mean, all the oil drains back down, and off the dipstick too. You just pull it out, no need to wipe it off and stick back in.

I'm sure there's some vehicle that needs the engine oil checked while running, or hot, or something--I just haven't run across it yet. Any small variation between hot and cold isn't going to mean much to me, since I drive pretty sedately.

I usually make a habit of checking it first thing saturday morning. I can even check the transmission fluid like that as long as I am taking "relative measurement" or checking the color.

Level, #1.

After 10 minutes if hot. After several hours, better.

Over night, best.

However, weighing 10 minutes vs. overnight, I don't see a difference of 1/32" on a dipstick to be overwhelmingly negative. If you can't deal with that, then it's no wonder you visit BITOG.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I prefer either checked cold after an all night sit, or checked piping hot after sitting 5-10 minutes. Both seem to give me good reads.
Yep, I typically check mine cold, in the morning.....BUT, if I happen to be "on the road", I also check it at the pump....my process is as follows, lol:

1) shut off engine
2) pull hood latch
3) pump gas til the first click
4) hang up pump
5) wash windshield and any dirty side windows
6) grab paper towel from dispenser at pump, if not available, I go in and grab them from the snack counter or rest room.....
7) lift hood, pull dipstick, swipe oil off once
8) put dipstick back into tube
9) pull out stick and examine level.

Since yes, there is a possibility of oil still being "in the head" that hasn't drained down yet.....I typically only top off when the level reaches a hair distance of the add mark....which is typically about every 3-4k.....

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
Level, #1.

After 10 minutes if hot. After several hours, better.

Over night, best.

However, weighing 10 minutes vs. overnight, I don't see a difference of 1/32" on a dipstick to be overwhelmingly negative. If you can't deal with that, then it's no wonder you visit BITOG.

01.gif
LOL, perfect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back