Can't find the key, but the key is IN the car.

I bought a '15 Focus Electric at an auction 2 weeks ago and went to pick it up today. When I get inside the car I look for the key, actually a smart key for cars with push button start. It was in the cup holder when I looked at it out after it sold. Now I can't find it. Spent 10 minutes looking and even asked the auction if they would make another key, but they said no because it's IN the car. So I gave up looking, and finally just drove it home. Also it was parked on the other side of the auction from where they park sold cars, so some jerk probably was too lazy to walk 10 minutes, took it for a ride, and left it there and maybe hid the key. Now for the snipe hunt. Any bets where it will be found? I checked the obvious places. Any detector tool that can help find it?

That's why I like old fashioned keys that go into the ignition switch. If the key has to be in the vehicle to start it then at least I know where it is.

Found it under the seat with a flashlight. Couldn't see it while at the auction with the bright sunlight all around.

IMG_2148.JPG

Now dont loose it again. I dont know how much a new one would cost but I bet you could buy the whole rack of regular keys at walmart for the same price.

When the car came from the manufacturer, it probably had two keys.
It DEFINITELY had two keys, but it looks like some shady dealer employees or thieves at the auction make a side hustle out of spare keys, owners manuals and EV charge cables. The chances of getting both keys, the owners manual and charging cable if an EV, are about 50/50 these days.

I am surprised, so thats for push button start as well as keyless entry. The keyfob for my 2003 Dodge that just unlocks the door is more than that.

It DEFINITELY had two keys, but it looks like some shady dealer employees or thieves at the auction make a side hustle out of spare keys, owners manuals and EV charge cables. The chances of getting both keys, the owners manual and charging cable if an EV, are about 50/50 these days.
Not just that but another bidder hid your key so his lowball offer has more chances of success.

Back