Which is more expensive for the manufacturer, transmission or engine?

Which one costs more? I would have guessed engines a decade or two ago, but watching videos of modern transmission disassembly, there's a lot not moving parts and my hunch is tighter tolerances in the latter.

Anyone know? I know lots of folks that are super religious about engine maintenance (oil changes at 5K, premium fluids, etc.) but completely ignore the transmission.

I would think manufacturing costs is close to the same for both. They would say more for engine because of the more intricate castings, and more material is used. The transmission parts are more difficult to make though. Transmission gearing is very fussy about accuracy and proper materials and heat treats. CVT's are a much cheaper to build transmission than a planetary step unit is.

Without a doubt, the engines are more expensive to engineer and manufacture.
Fair enough, and can't say I'm surprised. Any idea of the cost delta?

I suppose a lot of it depends on what you consider "engine". If one were to consider just the long block and not the ancillary sensors, emissions equipment, fuel pumps, etc. to make the engine run-- is it even close?

I could see costs running away if one were to include all the extras on the engine, whilst the transmission is largely a self contained unit.

A 3 speed manual transmission can be manufactured for as little as $79 and people say there is no reason to make manual transmissions. I think a non-rebuildable $5000+ wear item answers why.

I can tell you this. In 2016, the Chevrolet Sonic 1.4 Turbo 4 cylinder engine cost GM $185.00 net. That same year the battery for the Chevrolet Bolt had a GM net cost of 9k.
Wow, that is cheap! I remember an internal selling point of the Iron Duke was it could be thrown together for $600 in 1990 money.

A 3 speed manual transmission can be manufactured for as little as $79 and people say there is no reason to make manual transmissions. I think a non-rebuildable $5000+ wear item answers why.
I wonder if the price would track linearly and if we could get a six speed manual for twice that amount--and deduct the difference from the more expensive automatic from the car's cost.

Won't fly I know, I'm getting too old, but I can't believe that "cheap" is now on the other side of $20k.

Which one costs more? I would have guessed engines a decade or two ago, but watching videos of modern transmission disassembly, there's a lot not moving parts and my hunch is tighter tolerances in the latter.

Anyone know? I know lots of folks that are super religious about engine maintenance (oil changes at 5K, premium fluids, etc.) but completely ignore the transmission.
depends on how long the unit has been in production... and when the cost of the tooling and plant was paid off. my Dad worked at the Chevy V8 plant in Flint Mi... place built V8's from 1955 to 2000 something when the plant closed. built something like 56 million engines.. I can just remember my dad saying GM would study replacing the plant and come to the conclusion it was the chepaest engine they produced..

I can tell you this. In 2016, the Chevrolet Sonic 1.4 Turbo 4 cylinder engine cost GM $185.00 net. That same year the battery for the Chevrolet Bolt had a GM net cost of 9k.
Huge thank you for this post. When I mention factory costs like this, no one believes me.
Any idea what the real cost of a new car was back then? And how much did they sell those engines to Joe public for back then?

Huge thank you for this post. When I mention factory costs like this, no one believes me.
Any idea what the real cost of a new car was back then? And how much did they sell those engines to Joe public for back then?
GM cost structures were between 27- 32% for lower end cars I believe. Trucks and Corvettes were in another category together. If you get a chance to tour the Corvette factory in Bowling Green, KY, some of the tour guides will say when you get to the end of the assembly line, that that spot is known in the plant "where GM officially prints money".

Fair enough, and can't say I'm surprised. Any idea of the cost delta?

I suppose a lot of it depends on what you consider "engine". If one were to consider just the long block and not the ancillary sensors, emissions equipment, fuel pumps, etc. to make the engine run-- is it even close?

I could see costs running away if one were to include all the extras on the engine, whilst the transmission is largely a self contained unit.

I used to work in manufacturing at Ford, and I have a friend who was an IE (industrial engineer) there as well.
I'd say I have a fairly good understanding of what goes into making major items in cars, but I'm not able to give you a specific cost delta because that would depend on many assumptions too broad for this thread. I can, however make some general statements as to why engines would cost more ....

Engines have more components. While it's true that transmissions have gained some gears over the years (2, then 3, then 4, then 6 and now up to 10), that's not a lot of components relative to an engine. Engines have gained valve count (2 per cyl, then 3 and 4), but also have gained a slew of other things (going from OHV to OHC makes for more chains, gears, etc). VVT in all its forms from various OEMs also adds a ton of complexity with control valves, sensors, etc. Many engines are alum blocks with steel sleeves vs. the old days of cast iron blocks with no liners (though tech is changing that as cylinder hardening is advancing). Engines have more intricate castings; the engine block casting is far more involved than a transmission casing. Some engines now are even getting variable drive oil pumps; much more complex than the old standard PD pump.

Every single component in an engine or transmission gets design time, testing time, production time, etc. There are more components in an engine than a transmission (as a generality) and so the cost to produce that engine is going to be higher from beginning to end.

Further, whereas transmissions don't have to be "certified" to some standard, engines do. We all look at HP and Torque values when reviewing engines; those values come from very specific and controlled testing. Transmissions don't get that kind of validation. I'm not saying that trannys are not tested during design phase; they certainly are. But they don't get the barrage of tests the way engines do. Transmissions don't have to deal with the ever increasing changes due to emissions requirements and fuel efficiency requirements. All the SAE and EPA testing done to an engine drives the costs up; transmissions don't get "certified" to the level which engines do.

Engines just take more time/money to design, test, build and certify than do transmissions; that's a generality. There will always be exceptions, but the rule stands firm.

I’d say engines, for sure. The manufacturers go to the 2-3 transmission manufacturers and basically tell them how much they want to pay per unit, and they will adjust accordingly (in quality). Engines are different, they’re designed and assembled by the manufacturers (usually), and they have multiple systems (lubrication, fuel, valve train, ignition, block, cooling system, intake, exhaust, turbos, timing components, sensors). IMO

Back