which hood "gas" lift strut is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id unhook them one at a time and see if one holds better than the other.

Watch you head though
lol.gif

Ebay just delivered a pair for me today. I believe in replacing pairs. One is gone the other is soon to be.

Usually the hood will droop a little on the bad side, but (as said above) the other one is likely going too. Wonder how much cheaper they are to build than springs?

Lift the hood mid-range then quickly yank it up and down about six inches. The one on the "good" side will offer more resistance while the bad one will feel more floppy.

Definitely shop around, it's the kind of thing that they overcharge for when bought locally.

In Guatemala my dads mechanic took a giant channel lock pliers and pinched the strut a little below where the shaft enter the housing and it has been holding the hood up now for another 4 years...

Replace them both.

I got mine on ebay for my sonata.

It was easy to figure out which one was bad, only after I had them off.

I used a cut broomstick to prop the hood open while I did the job, about 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
If one failed, the other is not far behind. I would change them both.

01.gif

+1 ^^^^

I use a 2x4 to hold the hood or decklid open. Watch your head and fingers.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Usually the hood will droop a little on the bad side, ...
That's by far the easiest way to tell, if they really are unequal. If it doesn't "droop" on its own, you can feel which side is weaker by twisting the hood (or hatch or whatever) slightly.

Posted a comment HERE about a neighbor who had been using a stick/board as a prop. Worked out badly for him. Since that post, he's suffered a stroke that affected cognitive skills. Doctors said unrelated to head trauma he suffered, I'm unconvinced. He's very gradually recovered some skills but is no longer allowed to drive. LHS now sold.

So moral, don't cheap out, replace both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back