Steel vs aluminum hoods (& hood struts)

D60

Vehicle is a '15 Forester that had a disagreement with Bambi.

I see OEM is aluminum. Aftermarket steel hoods are available and - not surprisingly - a fraction of the price.

Will OEM struts hold up a steel hood on these vehicles?

I understand varying gas struts can be purchased but there's not an infinite selection of lengths and pound ratings so I'm always skeptical of being able to find just the right combo.

Local JY's are VERY slim pickings....I'll basically need 8 hours one way to get anything that looks promising

Last edited:
I can't speak to hoods, but I can speak to my experiences with the rear hatch on my Tahoe.

Online parts always list 1st and 2nd design for the struts on the rear hatch of GMT800 SUVs. I mistakenly ordered the 1st design for my 2005 Tahoe. The hatch was always super hard to close and you really had to fight it. Until one day, I started looking real close and noticed that some of the listings had certain a certain year range.

Sure enough it coincided with the GMT800 SUV platform's change to a rear hatch being made of aluminum versus steel.

I put the 2nd revision struts on the the hatch is easy to close and open.

FWIW, your mileage may vary, but I would expect a strut designed to open a steel hood to have more strength.

Reactions: D60
are you keeping this car long term or not so much; there is your answer in my playbook

GL

• Haha
Vehicle is a '15 Forester that had a disagreement with Bambi.

I see OEM is aluminum. Aftermarket steel hoods are available and - not surprisingly - a fraction of the price.

Will OEM struts hold up a steel hood on these vehicles?

I understand varying gas struts can be purchased but there's not an infinite selection of lengths and pound ratings so I'm always skeptical of being able to find just the right combo.

Local JY's are VERY slim pickings....I'll basically need 8 hours one way to get anything that looks promising
They should hold it okay if they are in decent shape, it is not like the sheet metal on this is that thick or heavy.

Back