Do shocks fail where they seize normally

My daughter’s 2013 Acura ILX makes a horrid bang and shock felt into car from passenger rear wheel. Feels like there are no suspension even on small bunps. I am ready to order shocks and with a friend (w/lift) replace them. He says pretty easy job typically

Is this the normal way they fail? I always thought more bouncy however in 30 years of driving never replaced shocks/struts even on my 150k+ mile vehicles.

More bouncy is typical. You should jack it up and take a gander at what is actually happening. If it's banging, it shouldn't be hard to assess. Maybe a broken spring. Or could be anything.

A few things: first, that car has struts, not shocks, which means that the repair is quite a bit more involved. Typically, shocks were out, which is to say that they lose their ability to limit movement. One last point is that on Honda vehicles, original shocks tend to go a long, long way... well past 100,000 miles. Your car may have experienced some damage. Hopefully your friend is experienced and can make a good assessment of the suspension. If the car has been damaged, it is very likely that the damage goes beyond the strut. I would add that the ILX is an excellent vehicle, and you should have no hesitation to invest in its maintenance. Good luck.

My daughter’s 2013 Acura ILX makes a horrid bang and shock felt into car from passenger rear wheel. Feels like there are no suspension even on small bunps. I am ready to order shocks and with a friend (w/lift) replace them. He says pretty easy job typically

Is this the normal way they fail? I always thought more bouncy however in 30 years of driving never replaced shocks/struts even on my 150k+ mile vehicles.

It is more likely due to a failed rubber damper on the top of the shock instead of the shock itself. It is a known problem and clearly documented in the Acura Technical Service Bulletin linked below.

ACURA TSB 18-010

Thanks for posting but.....Absolutely painful video. Do not watch it because it'll give you a headache.
I watched terrible agree
It is more likely due to a failed rubber damper on the top of the shock instead of the shock itself. It is a known problem and clearly documented in the Acura Technical Service Bulletin linked below.

ACURA TSB 18-010
There is an actual noise that is a massive bang, however the entire car has a jarring feeling as if the shock bottomed out. There was a subtle clunk before likely described in TSB.

Back