Which high mileage oil for a flat tappet engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched but cant find posts that address which high mileage oil (prefer 5W-30) is best for a flat tappet mild V8 engine. I've been using Valvoline HM for years but wonder if others might be better in this case.

That is my problem. Those search results beat around the bush but dont really address the question directly.

Nothing new has been "discovered".

Personally since we don't know what engine you are dealing with (is it for the 70 chevy?) its hard to discuss anything.

If its just an older engine (like the chevy) I'd run normal oil but a shorter than today's normal OCI. FI has done wonders for oil life.

Bill

Quite a few classic car owners use Shell Rotella T6 5W40 with a 2-4 ounces of Redline Break in oil to protect the Flat Tappets.

10w-30 Lawn tractor oil or 10w-40 Motorcycle oil. No real need for SAE HD 30 unless you are in the deep south and drive hard with an agressive flat tappet cam. Something rated API SH/SJ will typ have ~1200ppm P. Regardless, cams wear out, high zddp or not. Always did always will. Now, ~200ppm Moly helps too, esp after wear in. Stay away from very high detergent LL oils esp if the formulation is a simple ZnddP + Ca Sulphonate package.

Oils only have 1200 PPM of additive when new - P and Zn its still shows on the UOA but it has been converted and is inactive. ON traditional formulations you need Moly and zddp. Dont know about the new Ti packages.

I re-tried the search again but come up with no info on which high mileage brand oil is best for flat tappet engines. I guess this info is not readily available.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back