Which High Miieage Oil Is Best Pennzoil,Valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using Pennzoil but i have heard that the new hm has a weak add package... I don't know how true this is but what hm oil does everyone here use when it comes to high mileage oil..i like pennzoil and maybe valvoline but i can't find a spec sheet on these oils..
I use hm oil in some of my older engines and i like it as lot

Yea, noticed it quite odd, browsing the oil aisle, a couple oils can't remember which now, didn't even spec the "resource conserving" - I don't know how "necessary" that is.....but when it comes down to warranties, etc......couldn't the manfucaturer make a counter-claim stating they didn't use the "resource conserving" spec'd oil....?

Well then again, on the other hand, one shouldn't need a High Mileage oil while under warranty....if you spring a leak, or are burning oil WHILE under warranty, sounds like big problems are yet to come; since the avg warranty is ~5 yrs.....

Anyways, I have heard good stuff about the MaxLife, though that was "pre" SN era....in the days (i.e.: 6-12 months ago....) before "SN" oils came around.

Last edited:
^I don't know of any oil company that DEMANDS; other than recommends mind you, that you use an API certified oil(X...eg SM or better) with resource/energy conserving to boot in order to meet warranty. Though I'm willing to learn something here if this is true.

Resource/energy conserving is only dealing with formulation to meet standards considered 'best' for fuel efficiency, if I understand correctly. Most HM are on the thick side and/or have certain additive packages that probably make them fall out of 'contention' for the stamp in question(more like a sub-stamp). A few HM oils, including Mobil1 HM(not sure about Super Mobil's version), and I believe 1 other HM oil(cant recall) give you the 'best' of both worlds per se and do have the stamp. Me? Personally, I've used MaxLife from Valvoline and have been pleased. Since I don't ever plan on permanently using a HM oil, I don't mind the 'slight' drop in MPG, real or not(most of the time negligible). I'd use any major brand HM oil, unless serious problems were known to arise.

To answer the original question, I think it depends on which engine and how the car is driven. Both are excellent oils, so pick one and stick with it.

I'm running MaxLife right now in the Taurus and Mustang. No complaints. Never used Pennzoil HM.

I'm going with Mobil Super HM on my next OC, $13.50 for a 5 quart jug at Wal-Mart compared to $17.88 for the MaxLife.

An easy tie-breaker would be that maxlife is a synblend for about the same price depending on where you go. and i believe it was on this site that maxlife is a 30% blend, which is better than most. someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.

Been using Maxlife in our Maxima for a few years now. No problems.

Question...Is Maxlife still a synblend? I picked up a 5-quart jug today to do an oil change and noticed that neither the jug, nor the quarts say "Synthetic Blend" anymore. There were a few older quarts still on the shelf and they, of course, said "Synthetic Blend". The new bottles are also SN. The old stock is SM.

best in everyone eyes...where can i find a spec sheet for some reason pennzoil spec sheets are hard to find and they are not working on their site either, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mobil has a high mileage oil that is energy conserving and it's a blend. I believe it's the only one. Trying it in my Regal right now.

Best? Each application has different "best" oils.

All of the major oil companies (Mobil, Pennzoil, etc) make excellent oils. The Mobil 1 10w40 HM seems very popular on this site but there are plenty of others that are more than sufficient for most cars.

If you look at the oil analyses on this site, you'll see that modern motor oils are more than adequate for 99.9% of the cars on the road today. So I wouldn't agonize over it too much.

Quote:
Question...Is Maxlife still a synblend?

They don't say it but it apparently is still a blend.

They do offer 'Maxlife Full Synthetic' oil if that's your desire.
Just because they don't admit it, doesn't mean it's a blend.

Rotella 0W-30 is called a blend but it would need a strong portion of synthetic to get that 0W. Some insist that oil is a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
best in everyone eyes...where can i find a spec sheet for some reason pennzoil spec sheets are hard to find and they are not working on their site either, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.epc.shell.com/

I've been using Max Life for several years and have zero complaints. If I couldn't find it I'd have no problem using PZ HM either. Both are excellent oils- buy whichever one is on sale at a better price.
Valvoline's product data sheets are easily found on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back