Which FRAM would you use for 10k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a FRAM Ultra XG3614 and tough guard TG 3614 for my Focus. Which of these would you recommend I use for 10,000. My driving is mostly highway also. Thank you for any suggestions and input.

Either.

If you are working your way up to longer OCI's, use the TG for 10k, and the Ultra for anything longer.

If you have both and will use both for back-to-back 10k OCIs, I do no see the difference in using one or the other first. If you know the engine has a bit of sludge or other crud that is being cleaned up, I would use the Ultra first due to its greater diet holding capacity. If the TG is a few years old I would use it first because it's cellulose/synthetic blend filter media probably does not age as well as the Ultra's synthetic media. But outside of those scenarios, I say it is a toss-up.

Both. I've been using Fram's TG @ 10k oil intervals the past 7 years w.5kith oil analysis. No issues. However, I also had no issues with orange FRAM and Purolator classics @ 7.5k years prior. I now just switched to the Ultras since I've been finding them on sale... otherwise, I've been more than happy with TG.

Last edited:
I used Fram Extra Guard and other low end oil filters in my 370+k miles LS400, the FCI was/is 1 year up to 16-20k miles. The engine is running well as of today, oil filter isn't as importance as air filter. I has only OEM air filter in my LS400, and I make sure that the air box and its tubes are in good condition without any leak, preventing dust getting into the engine is better than relying on oil filter to stop it from damaging the engine.

For my daughter 2014 Honda Accord I will use Fram Ultra and/or Wix. My car is one thing my daughter car is different story, I am taking the risk using low end oil filter, but I like to use the best filters for her car.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Either.

If you are working your way up to longer OCI's, use the TG for 10k, and the Ultra for anything longer.

This ^^^

It depends if you think you will meet the OCI or if you will go past it. If you are using a good synthetic and with the amount of highway miles, you could go past 10K (I would UOA to see where you are) and in that case, I would go with the FRAM Ultra.

I would use an OCOD. Then cut it open, check the internals, duct tape it back together, then use it for another 10k at least.

TG is an overpriced turd. Ultra is the only Fram I'd use...otherwise I'd pick a Wix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back