Which computer is the better bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Random IDE corruption (known issue), and boards that just die are problems I've seen.

Known issue? This is the first I've heard of it, and I'm one of those nerds who looks at and investigates computer guts to no end. :)

And a board that 'just dies' is a manufacturer's problem.

I had an NForce2 southbridge MELT a few months ago. But that's a story for another time
wink.gif
ASUS board too.

And here's an Anandtech article on the NVidia IDE corruption issue:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=4

All I'm seeing in that article is an intermittent data corruption issue when the RAM is overclocked on 680i/780i/790i chipset boards, not when the boards are run within spec out of the box like most users will. It also goes on to say that they have not run into any problems on the lower-end chipsets like the 7050 in the eMachines that the OP posted. I'll take NVidia's integrated graphics over Intel's any day.

Nothing is perfect, as that article goes on to say some negative things about Intel's chipsets, too.

I had an NForce2 southbridge MELT a few months ago.

Interesting. I'm sure the board didn't up and do it to itself. What did you do to it, hmm?

I had an NForce2 southbridge MELT a few months ago.

Interesting. I'm sure the board didn't up and do it to itself. What did you do to it, hmm?

No idea what the customer did to it. She called me and said it wouldn't turn on, LOL!

Plugged it in and the southbridge started to melt! It was actually quite funny.

And here's an Anandtech article on the NVidia IDE corruption issue:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=4

All I'm seeing in that article is an intermittent data corruption issue when the RAM is overclocked on 680i/780i/790i chipset boards, not when the boards are run within spec out of the box like most users will. It also goes on to say that they have not run into any problems on the lower-end chipsets like the 7050 in the eMachines that the OP posted. I'll take NVidia's integrated graphics over Intel's any day.

Nothing is perfect, as that article goes on to say some negative things about Intel's chipsets, too.

Yes, it PRIMARILY occurs on overclocked systems. Though there have been many cases of it happening right out of the box too. I've seen it come up in many threads on Xtreme and other enthusiast sites.

As I said, they are better than ALI, SiS or VIA, but if you have the choice between an NVidia chipset and an Intel one, the wise choice is the latter.

And yes, I would hope, as a company who's primary dealings are graphics cards, that they would have better integrated graphics than Intel
wink.gif
I would expect the same from ATI!

I friend of mine LOVED the nVidia chipset until he ran head-long into the corruption issue on more than one board. Every week at church, for eternity it seemed LOL, he'd grill me about what he could do to solve his problem.

Finally...he built a system with an Intel chipset. I never heard him complain about his computer after that. LOL

another one bites the dust:
the nVidia card in my wife's computer stopped working yesterday. Had a lighty funky burned smell to it and the back of the card had a weird haze to it, not clear green like you'd expect.

Replaced it with the old ATI card that replaced it. It's going back for warranty, then selling it on eBay.

nVidia, blecch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back