To upgrade/rebuild or go new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.....been contemplating a new computer lately....undecided if I want to upgrade/rebuild or go with a "new" system. This system is about 6 years or so to my knowledge.....it was a Walmart Special a good couple years ago, eMachines W3616.

Interestingly enough, it's actually still available/for sale! At Overstock.com :p http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/eMachines-W3619-Computer-Tower-Refurbished/2896760/product.html

Specifications:
Processor: Intel 945GC
System memory: 512MB DDR2 dual-channel capable 533MHz PC4200 (expandable to 2GB)
Hard drive: 120GB SATA II (7200RPM)
Optical drive: DVD+-RW 16x Multi-format dual-layer
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (224MB video RAM)
Sound: 6-Channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network: 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
External ports: (Front) 2 USB 2.0, stereo headphone, microphone; (Rear) 4 USB 2.0, VGA, parallel port, serial port, 2 PS/2 ports, line-in plus High-Performance 15-in-1 digital media manager
Operating system:
Software: Windows Vista Home Basic

Here's some more specs:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-w3619-celeron-d/4507-3118_7-32425807.html

I'm kind of "new" to rebuilding.....but based on the specs....what's my best bet?

I haven't done anything aside from upgrading the keyboard and mouse :p But yea, just kind of curious how I could upgrade the PC. There's nothing really wrong with it....but "feel" like I could use at least a memory upgrade.

And then there's the fact that I'm not a big fan of Windows 7 :p At least with the current setup, I got Windows XP latest updates...even if support has been nixed by Microsoft....

First of all, if you come from a pre-build machine like that, you have to make sure the chassis can fit a standard mATX or ATX motherboard. If it couldn't fit (like some Dell) then it cannot be upgraded.

Starting with a Celeron processor, not much RAM and a small hard drive, I'd replace it rather than spending money on it. The upgrades it needs are too expensive to be worth it.

First:

What do you use it for? If you are surfing the net, and schmoozing forums then a memory upgrade could significantly increase performance, 2GB kits are very cheap on ZipZoomFly or Newegg.com.

If you do a lot of video editing, gaming ect its a whole different set of equipment needed.

So if you surf/browse the net, light work(excel ect) a memory upgrade will do you nicely, maybe a bigger HDD if space is a concern.

Windows 7 is far far superior to Vista in terms of speed/performance. Not sure if you tried it before coming to your conclusion but you would notice a generally smoother experience in usage, especially coupled with 2GB of a ram.

A cheap upgrade that would last you for a little while longer(few more years, like 2-3 pending anything major happening).

I agree about the more RAM, and possibly a 7 upgrade.
Vista is an enormous POS in terms of resources, and 512MB is just not enough to actually enjoy using your PC.
I would go 2 gig and call it a day for a while longer.

DDR2 prices are floating around $12 per gig which isn't too bad if you want to go to 2 gigs total or something. 512mb is absolutely not enough to run Vista or 7. Your computer must have been a pig right out of the box!

It's the hard drive upgrade that will get pricey.

Quote:
it was a Walmart Special a good couple years ago, eMachines W3616.

Get a new desktop or laptop and be done with it.

Windows 7 is not really a bad OS.

I recently got an eMachines AMD-based computer for free from the recycling center at work. The one I had was a very standard/generic microATX form factor that could easily have been upgraded. The power supply, likewise, was a standard form factor with ATX plugs that could easily have been upgraded. I ended up putting 1 GB of RAM in it and re-installing Windows and donating it to our church, but I had plans to use it myself.

Nothing at all wrong with eMachines computers. They are cheap appliances that work well enough. Shame they have such a stigma attached to them.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
First of all, if you come from a pre-build machine like that, you have to make sure the chassis can fit a standard mATX or ATX motherboard. If it couldn't fit (like some Dell) then it cannot be upgraded.
Good idea...I did crack it open, and yea, seems kind of "snug" with all the wiring, shrouds, etc they got packed in that sardine can :p Have heard this is one of the "consequences" of the pre built (vs. custom...) PCs
smile.gif
But yes, it has served it's purpose....

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
DDR2 prices are floating around $12 per gig which isn't too bad if you want to go to 2 gigs total or something. 512mb is absolutely not enough to run Vista or 7. Your computer must have been a pig right out of the box!
YES...lol....in fact after I got it everyone said similar....everyone I talked to said 512 was no where near compatible with Vista.....but I got this thing so tweaked, all the graphics and "glittery" Windows affects have been turned off, etc....not to mention a whole bunch of un-necessary Windows services
wink.gif

Have not shopped for PCs/parts lately....but wow, I was surprised to see I could get the 2 GB "kit" for about $30 - I may just jump on that.......and be done with it.....it's mainly a homework/school work/youtube machine for light office work and such
smile.gif
Movies are for the HD TV - not the PC
smile.gif
hehee. Though I do run DVDFab without a "hitch" - no problems
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Good idea...I did crack it open, and yea, seems kind of "snug" with all the wiring, shrouds, etc they got packed in that sardine can :p Have heard this is one of the "consequences" of the pre built (vs. custom...) PCs
smile.gif
But yes, it has served it's purpose....

It is not the size that I'm concerned about, it is the mounting screw positions. Some models use the standard location and you can replace the motherboard, while others do not and you'll have to throw out the case if you want to buy a new motherboard.

Frankly it doesn't make sense to throw good money at DDR2 and CPU if you are stuck with an already obsolete platform. DDR2 is already out of major production and they are more expensive than DDR3. Likewise CPU is also expensive for aging motherboard socket/chipset for the performance.

If the case is not standard mATX/ATX, I'd buy a new case to move the hard drive, optical drive, and power supply over, and buy a new motherboard / CPU combo with DDR3. I just did that with my 8 year old computer (standard ATX case) and the whole upgrade cost me only $150 out the door (Phenom II X2 with 8GB of ram) from MicroCenter and Newegg.

If you are in a pinch and want to just pay a bit to buy some time on the machine, go to craigslist and ebay to get a used CPU (some sort of Core2 Duo) with some DDR2 and call it a day.

Last edited:
Unless you're having specific problems or inadequacies with something, I'd just upgrade to 2GB of RAM and call it good. You'll almost certainly notice an improvement there.

don't waste any more money on the current pc !
I doubt 2 Gb of RAM is going to help things much, it did not for me upgrading some dell 2400 celeron computers which is basically the same thing. the ones I did still failed just websurfing- could not do graphics especially facebook games. Your motherboard is limited to 2gb of ram, that should give you an idea how old it is. if you think nothing is really wrong with it meaning to you it's not slow then I'm guessing you don't do much on it?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+D+3.46GHz

if you can use a screwdriver, you can put together a pc.
PM me if you like, I just built 2 pc's for family over the last month that were as cheap as possible but worth the money:

case: $20 shipped and it's pretty nice.
biostar A880G+ motherboard for $60
Athlon X2 cpu 3.4ghz @ $90 is cheapest way, best buy is phenom x4 3.5ghz @ $140.
power supply 400-500w < $100, I got mine with promo code for $40.
Windows 7 home 64-bit $100 (don't buy 32-bit windows)
RAM 8Gb DDR3 for $36.

if you really want a future-proof system then it'll cost you about $150 more for intel based motherboard and an i5-2500k. But the above will have onboard graphics and will run a big monitor fairly well at 1920x180 resolution, then if you need to you can add on a graphics card for as little as $50.

you have a sata-ii hard drive currently, that can go right into the new system and have win7 installed cleanly on it, just need to get your data off it first. Same for the dvd drive. Then in the future when you need to upgrade, you can get away with just a new motherboard and cpu.

Last edited:
well I sort of agree, a cheap upgrade with ram will make a dramatic difference

regarding this old system and web surfing remember that most 1phones, blackberries etc have a far less powerful processor and less ram and manage to surf the web just fine

but games or graphics i totally agree, this computer is obsolete

I would buy a new one. If you are going to put 20$ in ram in it that would be ok anything more is a waste of money including buying windows 7(for this computer)

Can you even find the appropriate RAM for that old computer? And do you know if that computer would accept the new RAM? The RAM technology has gone through few iterations in the last decade.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can you even find the appropriate RAM for that old computer? And do you know if that computer would accept the new RAM? The RAM technology has gone through few iterations in the last decade.

Huh? It takes still-common DDR2.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Huh? It takes still-common DDR2.
hehehe yes. Found DDR2 "Ram Kits" on crucial.com as well as a couple other sites....

think I'm just gonna go with the RAM upgrade.....the HDD is fine actually....

Windows is fine, like I mentioned, I got it tweaked all the way down, no glittery effects, drop shadows, mouse trails, etc...I had my enjoyment with that stuff back in the 90s :p

What is the best price you've found for the DDR2? Prices on Newegg.com for DDR2 kits weren't all that great in my opinion. I realize the DDR2 is an older standard, but the prices were still higher than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back