is this a decent laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my laptop got a virus and it finally died today. its almost 5 years old so im looking at a new one at walmart.com. i couldn't find what kind of video card it has but im not a gamer at all, its an ACER and here are the specs:

Key Features & Benefits:

CrystalBrite 17" widescreen liquid crystal display

Presents 1440 x 900 WXGA+ resolution with more than 16 million colors

1.73 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T2080

Delivers reliable performance and advanced power-saving technology for extended battery life

2 GB of DDR2 system memory

Offers improved performance with today's demanding applications

120 GB hard disk drive (5400 rpm)

Provides enough space for data, games, photos, music or even videos

SuperMulti DVD burner with double-layer capability

Supports popular disc formats so you can play and burn DVDs and CDs for data and entertainment

5-in-1 media card reader

Reads memory cards so you can conveniently upload photos, music or data

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition

The latest PC operating system makes computing more efficient and more entertaining

Additional Features:
Mobile Intel 943GML Express chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950
Intel High Definition audio support
Two built-in Acer 3DSonic stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
WLAN: Acer InviLink 802.11b/g Wi-Fi certified solution, supporting Acer SignalUp wireless technology
Modem: 56K ITU V.92 with PTT approval
105-/106-key keyboard
PC card slot (Type II)
5-in-1 card reader (SD, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)
Four USB 2.0 ports
External display (VGA) port
Headphones/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support
Microphone-in jack
Line-in jack
Ethernet (RJ-45) port
Modem (RJ-11) port

any opinions would be appreciated

I have an ACER Aspire model 9300 with 17" screen bought in
Oct. last year. I'm very happy with it. Especially the screen. It is great.

What is the model # of the one you are looking at? I'd like to check it out.

Quote:

i couldn't find what kind of video card it has but im not a gamer at all,

From the specs it looks like it has an integrated Intel video card, and that's probably the only weak point in this configuration as you will not be able to upgrade it in the future. But if you're not into gaming and highly intensive graphical apps, it should be sufficient.

My current notebook is 4 years old, and the only thing that bugs me is that integrated graphics card. I was able to upgrade everything else to keep up with times and processing needs.

Wow, 8.2 lbs. Hopefully you have big laps.
smile.gif

Yes it does seem a bit heavy. It's a spanking good deal though.

The main thing I would recommend for a laptop is memory, with 2gig's looks like your covered. It also appears that this particular model has dual channel memory setup as well so that's a bonus.

The integrated graphics is pretty good considering you wont be doing any gaming. The 950 graphics chipset is plenty fast for any application and most games.

Looks good, just make sure the size and weight are what is okay with you.

yeah im ok with the weight, is it this heavy because of the 17" screen? its mainly a homestation for me with occasional trips.

Pardon my ignorance about the PC world, but aren't most laptops "integrated video?"

Someone mentioned that above.

I can't say that I've ever installed a video card into a laptop.

Not saying there are not such machines. However, I've not come across one.

Seems like a silly complaint when applied to a laptop.

java,

Yes, the more upscale/fancy/expensive laptops have separate video cards which can be replaced much like the video cards in desktops. It's all the rave among gamers... the latest craze is to have a laptop that can be used for advanced gaming, and for that, they need good video cards (among other things).

I am personally not a gamer, but still, the integrated video cards that were out there 4 years ago when I was buying mine aren't the greatest. My work laptop has a dedicated (not-integrated) video card and it seems much faster despite having a slower CPU, even when just browsing internet or working with photos.

how widespread can this possibly be, i cant seem to find a laptop that doesn't come loaded with the vista windows. has the premium gotten any better than the basic vista?

vista premium and basic are exactly the same system except for the eye-candy of the 3D graphics stuff.

Dell still offers laptops in their Latitude line with XP or Vista, your choice.

Here is a good deal from the Extreme Overclocking site. A $1,375 Dell notebook with a better CPU, fairly decent graphics and a 9 cell battery for $749 after you enter the Dell coupon code in. Here is the information.

Dell Inspiron E1705 for Only $749 (17" XGA+ TrueLife Display) Notebook with 1.73GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5300, 120 GB Hard Drive, 1 GB Memory, DVD+/-RW3 with double-layer DVD+R write capability, 256MB ATI Radeon X600 HyperMemory, 9 Cell Battery, Dell 1390 Wireless Card, Windows Vista Home Premium and MORE with FREE shipping! Use coupon code: WP5WG3JRQKRRC4 (expires 8/15/07 or after ONLY 350 REDEMPTIONS) DELL INSPIRON E1705 NOTEBOOK DEAL

Note: This notebook is being sold by Dell. Etreme Overclocking does not sell any hardware or software.

Here is the direct link to the notebook on Dell. I noticed that this notebook only has 1 GB of memory, but adding another GB should be fairly easy if you go to the www.crucial.com site, which is owned by Micron and has an excellent cross reference tool to determine the correct module to use.

I bought my wife an Acer laptop for school last year and its a great laptop.....but I must warn you that Acer laptops are known for poor battery life.

My Dell with a 9-cell gets 4-5hr out of a charge. I only paid 750 for mine, and it has the Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of memory, 160GB Hard drive, bluetooth, Vista Premium, and DVD-RW. It's a 15.4" widescreen as well.

Deals come around, so you just have to be patient. The notebook I mentioned was just the latest available on sale. I posted a link to a daily deals site on a recent post. Check that site daily and something will grab your attention.

i just ordered the rig that is in question and should have it next week sometime, i hope the wifi works with the vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back