Which Cell phone

^^ A lot of this is a matter of choice and opinion. ^^
We have an iPhone 11 and iPhone XR

1st - The XR isn't in production so the next phone would be the iPhone 11 of which the 11 has far superior camera, superior and brighter display, waterproof, more durable then the ACE, the list goes on, you get A LOT for $499

2nd- One is Apple OS and One Android, for some, there is no comparison and why I say a matter of choice.

3rd- My XR Face ID works in darkness but won't work with sunglasses on( I think) I too like Touch ID but Im fine with the Face ID
I don't have an "lag" opening apps, granted whether or not one modern cell phone is milliseconds faster then the other isn't on my list as opposed to other features. Being we are water sports family I don't have concerns about the iPhone getting wet, even more so the iPhone 11 which is good to jump in a swimming pool with (not recommended) but tested to 6 feet deep for 30 minutes, I think the XR 3 feet. Again, good enough to not have to worry getting it wet or even as I do, take it on my blow up float when boating, to get some photos from the water.

The ACE is an ok budget camera from what I read ( https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/motorola-one-5g-ace ), not great in anything except battery life but its a list price only $100 OFF what an iPhone 11 sells for, granted being the ACE is a budget camera you can get it at a much better discount.

Its all good, nothing is better then the other if a person wants a certain set of features or OS. The ACE has a giant screen if that is important to someone granted its harder to see in sunlight.

Last edited:
Mt 5 year old LG phone is causing issues and want to new phone from VERISON (daughters family plan). I use primarily for TALK TO TEXT, family Pictures and weather updates etc. LG is no more so I need a fairly simple replacement and not a $900 one. Suggestions from owners please. Ed
You will want a current model 5G phone.

2G & 3G networks are getting shut down in the US.
Verizon is due to shutdown their 3G CDMA network by Dec 31, '22.

Best get a phone from '21 that has 5G & 4G LTE.

I would recommend a Google Pixel 5a 5G phone.
& make sure to get a NEW Verizon 5G SIM card!

Pre-Google Pixel 6-series phones guarantee OS & monthly security updates for 3-years. (The new Google Pixel 6-series guarantees OS & monthly security updates for 5-years.)
The Google Pixel 5a 5G phone was released on August 17, '21

Last edited:
I have an iPhone, but only because I have apple computers otherwise I cannot see any reason to have one as androids are better & faster.
You dont say what model iPhone.

I never understood the "faster" comments. Do people have their phones loaded with malware that they slow up so much?
I dont get it but all someone has to do is go in Best Buy are see for themselves which phone is "faster" or an ATT store, Verizon.

It comes down to a matter of choice. I do think there is something to be said that no other cell phone maker comes remotely close to iPhone sales in the USA. If it was a problem phone you would certainly know about it with 47% of Americans owning one.

Im only mentioning it as if there were major defects, unlike any other phone in the USA. except Samsung, all other makers have less then a 5% market share and that is being generous its closer to 1%. Again, just mentioning because no one will know of all the bad phones out there because they are barely a blip in market share.
Apple sells high end phones to a population that would be less forgiving in higher incomes brackets as well. Samsung not so close second but closer second place, everyone else barely exists.

I have a Moto G6 and as much as I like it there is a big learning curve. To many clicks here and there to do simple tasks unlike my LG phone which was more user friendly.

I got a "refurb" iPhone SE 2020 model from Amazon, looked brand new, for ~$310. Put in on Red Pocket. They're just nicer than the comparably priced Androids. Maybe the camera isn't as good and they're not as big (a plus in my book) but they work better and are almost guaranteed to be supported for longer in terms of the OS.

jeff
How can Red Pocket offer a lower cell phone bill then all of the major names?

Unlimited isn’t truly “unlimited” for calls/texts/data on Red Pocket.

Red Pocket severely throttles your data speeds after you use your allotment to 2G speeds, 64-128kbps. Given it’s in all lower case, I’m assuming that’s in kilobits not bytes… a 3 megabyte file/video/whatever will take 3-6 minutes to download at those speeds. You should be good with streaming music (like pandora), but content heavy websites and such will be miserable to use at those speeds.

As for calling and texting, they say they can cancel your service at anytime if they feel like “you are engaging in a prohibited use in violation of these Terms of Use if, in our sole discretion, you are deemed to be placing an abnormally high number of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration, or appear to be using the services in a prohibited manner as described herein, or if your talk, text or mobile web usage is harmful or disruptive to the Carrier’s network or services.” Emphasis mine… they don’t say what constitutes a “high” number of calls or what a “unusually long” call is. Lots of wiggle room for them to kick you off of their “unlimited” plan.

For 99.9999% of people, none of that is an issue though. In comparison to Verizon/T-Mobile/AT&T, at worst they throttle your internet speeds in times of “congestion.” If you don’t live in a heavily populated area, you may never experience congestion related slow downs. I once used 250+Gb on T-Mobile and never got (noticeably) throttled, I was still able to stream 4k YouTube content no problem.

I'm with VERIZON prepaid (for almost 7 years now). I just recently bought this phone from WM. I was able to get it at the Black Friday price almost 2 weeks ago. Just because it's priced at $39.88, don't let that low price fool you. This phone is great!
I bought one of these and retired my Moto e5 Play.
* The battery will run the phone for a long time, but it also takes a long time to recharge. It is listed as compatible with Samsung's quick charging standard, but the supplied charger is basic low output.
* The phone is bulky, awkwardly sized (tall and skinny) and the shell is slick plastic that is slippery to hold. I've never used phone cases before but would consider one here.
* Some sources say that the WiFi hardware is not dual band-- that is not true, it supports 1x1 ac (basic WiFi 5).

Even though LG is no longer producing phones, there are some very good LG phones out there for very reasonable prices. I bought the LG G7 thinq for $175 this past summer. The LG Velvet 5G is available for under $200 now. I bought the G7 because I don't need a flat screen TV sized phone. The G7 is just barely 6". eBay has tons of new, open box, refurbished unlocked phones.

Tracfone wireless brands (straight talk, simple mobile, total wireless as well as tracfone) themselvesis offering some attractive sales.. most of the when you choose a device they'll discount an additional 15% off. If you're happy with the android platform no need to switch there's plenty of newer devices out there also if you're happy with a carrier and like the Verizon network tracfone has that to offer. Unlocked devices are great if you want to switch every so often to different carriers aka mvno's unlocked devices also benefit from not being half clobbered up with bloatware the pre-installed junk. I've been benefiting from simple mobile which is the tmobile network and have no complaints.. tmobile is expanding their network but if you're in a rural area att and Verizon may be best. I'm currently using an iPhone xr yes its a dated model but performs well and meets my needs most importantly receives updates regularly. My next phone may just be an android when that time comes 🙄.

As you mentioned every budget smartphone will give you talk, text and weather. Give Total wireless a look.

Its easy. Like many so called "3rd Party providers" they buy service from the major cell phone providers and resell it to you.
Its the same exact service with a different name. No marketing costs, no fancy buildings and employees to pay = low cost to you.
People do not understand the cell phone providers also sell wholesale priced access, not just consumer access. Heck they even sell security system network access for homes and business.

Redpocket is quite unique though. They offer service from all three = ATT, Verizon and TMobile
Its a killer service, just fantastic. We have had it for gosh, MANY years now, 3 lines, Unlimited text, talk and 10 GB PER LINE of high speed data. WAY more then I, my wife and my now adults daughter can ever use. (you have options for more, dont waste your money)
OUR TOTAL PAYMENT FOR ALL THREE LINES COMBINED IS $70. AND A FEW CENTS.

Ignore comments from other people in here who have NEVER had the service and pick and choose irrelevant service agreements without posting the service agreements of the major providers, all of which say the same thing.
We use ATT service on RedPocket, ALWAYS loved ATT even without red pocket years ago. Unlike many other "3rd" party providers we get FULL unthrottled network speeds.
Another thing, even if negative comments are well meaning, yet totally wrong you never have anything to lose with Redpocket. This is the part that Joe public doesnt seem to understand, yet it is like this is most countries in the world. There is NO CONTRACT with Red Pocket.
None! Its month to month, dont like it? then switch. Unreal that Americans feel like they need to sign contracts for phone and internet service!
Only reason they do it is because they want a phone they cant afford!

AS far as 5g phones, forget it, you got AT LEAST a couple years of phone cycles before 5G will bring anything meaningful to the table.

Its easy. Like many so called "3rd Party providers" they buy service from the major cell phone providers and resell it to you.
Its the same exact service with a different name. No marketing costs, no fancy buildings and employees to pay = low cost to you.
People do not understand the cell phone providers also sell wholesale priced access, not just consumer access. Heck they even sell security system network access for homes and business.

Redpocket is quite unique though. They offer service from all three = ATT, Verizon and TMobile
Its a killer service, just fantastic. We have had it for gosh, MANY years now, 3 lines, Unlimited text, talk and 10 GB PER LINE of high speed data. WAY more then I, my wife and my now adults daughter can ever use. (you have options for more, dont waste your money)

Ignore comments from other people in here who have NEVER had the service and pick and choose irrelevant service agreements without posting the service agreements of the major providers, all of which say the same thing.
We use ATT service on RedPocket, ALWAYS loved ATT even without red pocket years ago. Unlike many other "3rd" party providers we get FULL unthrottled network speeds.
Another thing, even if negative comments are well meaning, yet totally wrong you never have anything to lose with Redpocket. This is the part that Joe public doesnt seem to understand, yet it is like this is most countries in the world. There is NO CONTRACT with Red Pocket.
None! Its month to month, dont like it? then switch. Unreal that Americans feel like they need to sign contracts for phone and internet service!

AS far as 5g phones, forget it, you got AT LEAST a couple years of phone cycles before 5G will bring anything meaningful to the table.
850Mhz & upcoming Mid-band 5G network reception comes to mind why get a 5G phone.

Besides having 4G LTE network reception.

850Mhz & upcoming Mid-band 5G network reception comes to mind why get a 5G phone.

Besides having 4G LTE network reception.
Yeah, I dont have any problem with 5g. Not at all, just trying to help if someone feels they HAVE to buy a 5g phone. Not even close do they need one at this point and it really is just marketing material for now with no purpose as it is so limited and short range. BTW- I have investments in the promise of 5g but its way to soon for the consumer reality of it other then for them to brag, "oh my phone has 5g" *L* I would then say, ok, lets see if my non 5g phone brings up a movie as fast as yours. Well, I very well may beat the 5g and tie at worst.

It will be a few years and phone model cycles until its all put together. In the meantime no one will know a difference on a cell phone except 4g/LTE will always be needed on 5g phones for a long time as 5g signals are severely limited by distance at this time. TMobile has a small solution but the bottomline is there will need to be years worth of building out and adding cell towers and upgrading the 100,000 or so in the USA. This isnt going to happen overnight... so my question would be, ok, so what is 5g going to do for me today? Bragging rights

To be fair, the service agreement I mentioned is hardly irrelevant, just not really applicable for a majority of people unless you use a ton of data. But it is something to keep in mind if you make a ton of calls. T-Mobile makes no such disclaimers regarding what I had posted directly from Red Pockets Terms and Conditions, other than don’t spam. And using Red Pocket would actually cost me more money than being on my T-Mobile post paid plan.

T-Mobile has a lot of extra installed 850 MHz and mid-band spectrum from buying Sprint. The problem is that they have to move the legacy Sprint 4G customers off of it first. That will happen faster than the other two companies can deploy 5G though.

Why are we discussing different service providers, I'm pretty sure the OP said that he's on his daughter's verizon plan and he needs a phone for that, the only phones they're looking for is either 100% unlocked that works on Verizon, a Verizon prepaid phone that should work if you just swap the SIM into it, or a Verizon locked phone purchased ala-carte.

Why are we discussing different service providers, I'm pretty sure the OP said that he's on his daughter's verizon plan and he needs a phone for that, the only phones they're looking for is either 100% unlocked that works on Verizon, a Verizon prepaid phone that should work if you just swap the SIM into it, or a Verizon locked phone purchased ala-carte.
Yeah, you are right, I got caught up answering Skippy. My first response was from someone who asked "What is Redpocket"

The Verizon Prepaid phones sold in box stores used to be locked out of being used on postpaid. I don't know if that is still the case but it seems likely. After using the phone on Prepaid for 2 months (paying 2 bills while that phone is active on the line) you can obtain the unlock code to use it on any service.

Verizon Postpaid phones which you buy for full price or on installments are not locked.

The Verizon Prepaid phones sold in box stores used to be locked out of being used on postpaid. I don't know if that is still the case but it seems likely. After using the phone on Prepaid for 2 months (paying 2 bills while that phone is active on the line) you can obtain the unlock code to use it on any service.

Verizon Postpaid phones which you buy for full price or on installments are not locked.
Well that's absolutely stupid, why did they ditch CDMA and then still have archaic policies in place that make no sense, AT&T prepaid phones will work on AT&T postpaid service, I think they even work on other AT&T MVNOs.

Back