Which career major is better ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel compelled to chime in here for the OP and offer a little guidance from my perspective.

I double majored in math and statistics and minored in CS. CS is heavy in math, so the shoe fit for me, but the programming requirements expected of me were exceedingly high. I found that to be the most difficult.

Math, in general, will help you become a better person by helping to solve problems, come up with efficient solutions, and analyze an issue. Problem solving techniques will serve you for a lifetime in ALL things that you do. A skill set of this nature is not taught today in schools. The math required for CS will be extensive. Not only all your undergrad classes, but if you wish to do something like Computer graphics (DirectX, openGL, etc), you'll need to know vector analysis and some upper level course work.

Computer Science, however, in my most humble opinion is a joke of a major. It is mostly theoretical and not applicable to application training or doing systems administering. It sounds to me like what you want to be looking into is certifications.

I suggest looking into Worksource in your state for free Microsoft vouchers for training and exams. They are limited but you can get your foot in the door right now for free.

From there, look into an MCSA instead of the more popular MCSE. It's easier and you might be able to take some training or exams at your local community college. Check closely into Microsoft E-learning as well. Looking into something specialized might be a good idea, such as Sharepoint or SQL.

Ask around and gather some info before you venture into something. It's much easier to hear how someone else did it before you get started. I've got a great coworker that has several certifications and I've learned more from him than all my time on my own.

With all of that said, HVAC work might be more rewarding. Nobody is happier than having their AC fixed. A friend of mine works in the HVAC field and he gets paid well, but it's hard work. It might sound good now, but it might be rough in the long run.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Computer Science, however, in my most humble opinion is a joke of a major. It is mostly theoretical and not applicable to application training or doing systems administering. It sounds to me like what you want to be looking into is certifications.

If you did not know this, there is no requirement for a Computer Science degree for application training or system admin.

Not sure why you would think of CS as joke?

Being a Sys Admin is a trades type job just in front of servers/computers. Any body with a 4 year degree, some aptitude for computer work and personality does app training.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: bigmike

If you did not know this, there is no requirement for a Computer Science degree for application training or system admin.

Not sure why you would think of CS as joke?

Being a Sys Admin is a trades type job just in front of servers/computers. Any body with a 4 year degree, some aptitude for computer work and personality does app training.

I'm aware of this.

Computer science was a waste of my time. I learned about concepts in abstract relation to technology that was 10 years or older than what was available. It's great if you want theoretical information. I'd rather be current and make money.

I took computer networking, computer graphics, intro to computer hardware, data structures, and a handful of programming or related courses. I never saw the connection, aside from computer graphics (in which we learned how to utilize DirectX and OpenGL, texture mapping, etc.) to the IT fields.

I'm suggesting to the OP that he might want to research which of these computer fields he might be interested in before resigning to continue the CS track.

Becoming a certified sys. admin is different than described.

In addition:

1. You don't need a personality. In fact, this might DISQUALIFY YOU.
lol.gif

2. You don't need any aptitudes, other than the ability to write down [insert certification name here] and put a logo on your resume.
3. You don't need a 4 year degree, unless employers require it.

I'd suggest a MCSA:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Being a Sys Admin is a trades type job just in front of servers/computers.

I'm not sure how you can make that statement, given the wide and varied duties of a sysadmin, particularly in smaller organizations.

I would go with the HVAC. I work in the computer field, and it stinks. You become an introvert who loses his people skills because you interact with computers most of the day. You have to deal with office politics which, if your not a politician, can get to you.

HVAC gets you outside and around different scenery. Yes there are hot attics in the summer, but summer ends eventually and you wont be in an attic for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I may actually go back to tech school for HVAC training and get into the service side of things, rather than the installation side. I saw what the guys went through installing my AC in my attic a few years back and that did look rough heat wise.

Go with HVAC...Good luck!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
go with the heating and air conditioning at least they cant out source that...

^^Definitely,especially since you`re in Texas.

Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
You become an introvert who loses his people skills because you interact with computers most of the day.

Not if you're doing any kind of support. Just like in the HVAC field, you get a call, find out what's wrong, and go in and fix it. Finding out what's wrong requires interacting with the customer.

OP, Have you shadowed anyone on those respective fields that has been on the job 10+ years?

All I can say is chose the field that you have the desire to excel at. If you excel in either of those fields and then learn how to leverage your acquired talents, you will be a multi-millionaire.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Jeepster_nut
You become an introvert who loses his people skills because you interact with computers most of the day.

Not if you're doing any kind of support. Just like in the HVAC field, you get a call, find out what's wrong, and go in and fix it. Finding out what's wrong requires interacting with the customer.

True, but in the development side of things its sitting in a cubicle most of the day writing code. I test it and it really drains my social skills interacting with computers all day.

I imagine it could be like missile silo duty.

"They don't let us out much".

You're sleeping 6-8 ..your work consumes about 9-12 depending on your commute. That leaves very little time for social interaction if you aren't getting it on the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back