Which car out of this list for $2500 ish cad

I know he got a car already but if I lived in Canada I would look at some BC cars from places like Vancouver where it's more of a rainy NW climate than a snowy one.

Or if you can import one, anywhere in the US where they don't use road salt, e.g., the South and the West.

I know he got a car already but if I lived in Canada I would look at some BC cars from places like Vancouver where it's more of a rainy NW climate than a snowy one.

Or if you can import one, anywhere in the US where they don't use road salt, e.g., the South and the West.

Canada has some cool cars we don't get down here :(

Hello, I am helping a friend find a car for around $2500 cad. He does not have high expectations and my personal preference was to keep the kilometers as low as possible. All he wants is a car that will run and be reliable for 2-3 years. He just hopes the car doesn't brake down or need major repairs during this time. After researching and all the help from this amazing community we narrowed it down to these cars and want your opinion on which will be the most reliable. i have not driven these car's but will go tomorrow with him to check them out in person! the following are either currently available or a the same model will get posted with similar km's as i have noticed since i have been watching the ads for past 2 weeks. he wants AUTO trans and no accidents/rebuilt preferably

all cars are auto trans
2007 honda civic - 225,000 km's, seems to be in good shape, only con is a that one of the doors is lightly scuffed in the size of a pillow, looks like some gentle type of curb rash, owner said it rubbed against a parking lot light. seems to be why the price is good. no accidents
2004 pontiac vibe - 200,000 km's seems to be in good shape, was pending purchase last time i spoke to owner, will test luck tomorrow ( a little under 3k but will try to haggle them down to 25 ish)
2007 toyota matrix - 235,000 km's seems to be in good shape ( a little under 3k but will try to haggle them down to 25 ish)
2005 toyota matrix - 250k km seems to be in good shape, probably a second choice to the one above
2005 mazda 3 - 200k km $1700 cad good price but rust seems bad in the rear wheel well areas, can go check it out and if its not too bad underneath maybe a decent option?
2008 mazda 6 - 190k km seems to be in decent shape but can see some paint peeling, seems to be out slightly out of town hence the price and lower km
2007 mazda 6 -230k km seems to be in good shape, dont see rust in pics
2006 mazda 3 - 215k km seems to be in good shape, can see light rust and a dent
2007 kia rio - only 156k km, body looks good, only has problem with fuel gauge and trunk which isnt a big deal
2006 kia rio - 180k km good shape
2007 ford focus not facelift - 160-185k probably similar shape to above
2008 ford focus facelift - 170-190k km similar shape to above
2004 ish ford focus - 160k-180k
2006-2007 pontiac g6 - 160k-180k km similar shape to above
2009 pontiac g5 - 145km has some lock issues etc but looks to be in good shape, will prob be sold b4 i can even take a look *just added, thread updated*

so of course my friend does not care about the cosmetic or appearance of the car, he cares most of reliability. we will of course check all the cars for bad rust underneath and if we notice the rust is bad or can see holes etc then we will skip on that car. out of the cars listed in what order would you rate the reliability knowing only the km's and the year and other info above. you can just give a top 3 to make it easier

thx so much!
The pontiac vibe is basically the same as the matrix. I don't know about the matrix, but I know of pontiac vibes, the odometer stops at 299,999 kms. My pontiac vibe is an 03. Lots of issues with motor oil burning and the catalytic converter. I had the cat changed on it twice. It seems to be a common problem with them after 200,000 km or around 14 years old. I have to say the car last me 17 years and did me very well during this time, but they do have a tendency to have the issues i mentioned. If they still made them I would buy the pontiac vibe again or the matrix but they no longer make either vehicles.

The pontiac vibe is basically the same as the matrix. I don't know about the matrix, but I know of pontiac vibes, the odometer stops at 299,999 kms. My pontiac vibe is an 03. Lots of issues with motor oil burning and the catalytic converter. I had the cat changed on it twice. It seems to be a common problem with them after 200,000 km or around 14 years old. I have to say the car last me 17 years and did me very well during this time, but they do have a tendency to have the issues i mentioned. If they still made them I would buy the pontiac vibe again or the matrix but they no longer make either vehicles.
Welcome to BITOG :)

The closest thing would be a Corolla hatchback. The Matrix/Vibe was just a Corolla wagon.

Glad you got a good car :)

Get the Krown done as soon as you can
we have been looking for options in our small city but doesnt seem to be any Krown here. do u think its worth it to drive to a bigger city and get it actually Krowned? or can i just get any other rustproofing/undercoating that is availalbe in my city

thanks!

we have been looking for options in our small city but doesnt seem to be any Krown here. do u think its worth it to drive to a bigger city and get it actually Krowned? or can i just get any other rustproofing/undercoating that is availalbe in my city

thanks!

It doesn't actually have to be Krown that brand, but I hear it's the largest and most well-known in Canada. Other brands are fine. Noxudol is a very good one.

Krown does list a location in Edmonton, Garage 104

Just avoid the thick coatings like Ziebart. When the hard coating cracks, it lets moisture in but not out, making the rust problem even worse! :eek:

thanks!
What about Rust Check? They offer a comparable product.

Here in Kingston Ontario the local krown does a terrible job. They typically miss half the undercarriage. It's more about the people spraying it than the product. The Napanee location (half an hour away has always done a much better job). The rust check here in Kingston is pretty good.

Here in Kingston Ontario the local krown does a terrible job. They typically miss half the undercarriage. It's more about the people spraying it than the product. The Napanee location (half an hour away has always done a much better job). The rust check here in Kingston is pretty good.
Sounds like here in the Pete. The Krown is real stingy on the application and misses tons of spots, the Rust Check guy absolutely drowns them.

found a mazda 2.3L 2007 with only 165,000 km, had low rust and will prob get it krowned. checked underneath and was good, apparently the guy isnt from here so not much rust!! got a good price,

thanks everyone! especially slacktide-bitog and automechanic, you guys helped tons on all my threads sorry about that

Why waste your money money krowning on a vehicle that old.

Why waste your money money krowning on a vehicle that old.
So it will last? I just sold an 83 Caprice I was daily driving for winter still. It had krown or rust check or fluid film every year. Still reliable on long trips. Why throw stuff out? I don't have a ton of disposable income. Newer vehicles are fine for people with lots of money but not everyone has that.

I just spent a bunch of time and money undercoating my 2005 Silverado I get paid mileage for at work every day. It has to be an extended cab or 4 door truck with 4 wheel drive (land surveying truck) so a new one is over 50,000. I'll get as many years as possible out of this 2005. It had very little rust and what it does have has or is being fixed this year.

So it will last? I just sold an 83 Caprice I was daily driving for winter still. It had krown or rust check or fluid film every year. Still reliable on long trips. Why throw stuff out? I don't have a ton of disposable income. Newer vehicles are fine for people with lots of money but not everyone has that.

I just spent a bunch of time and money undercoating my 2005 Silverado I get paid mileage for at work every day. It has to be an extended cab or 4 door truck with 4 wheel drive (land surveying truck) so a new one is over 50,000. I'll get as many years as possible out of this 2005. It had very little rust and what it does have has or is being fixed this year.

Reading OP he stated his plan is 2-3 years to keep it. Your plans for your vehicles are irrelevant .

Is there a known equivalent to Krown in the States? Does it arrest existing light rust?

Carwell is popular in upstate NY and seems to be the same stuff as Krown.

There are some Krown shops in upstate NY, New England, and a few in PA. Noxudol I heard is good stuff, too.

Yes, it arrests existing light rust. While it won't get rid of existing rust, it will stop the rust from getting worse :)

Back