Which car out of this list for $2500 ish cad

most likely no

Don't even consider a German car. They're not reliable even when new. No VW or other European car you can get for $2500 is worth buying.

The Mazda is prone to rust. If your example is rust-free, you will have to get Krown done.

These Echos are worth considering. The red Yaris I found earlier looks good too

thx I like the shape of the matrix if it tests good we are taking it.I trust your opinion and I need to make a decision fast forhim

I’d go with a Ford, Toyota or Mazda especially if he is only going to own it a few years I don’t think you will have to worry about the rust on the Mazda. And everyone is saying they rust I haven’t found that to be true but I also live in the south so not much rust here. The posting about German cars being unreliable is accurate from my experience I only buy really old classic German cars.

The Mazda's had rust issues up until the 2012 or so model years, when they redesigned the rear bumper lip area. On the early ones the bumper cover would rub into the metal and once the rust started, it was fierce. We have a 2012, 2014, and 2017 in the family and none have even a speck of rust on them.

Some of the early and mid 2000's Mazda's and Fords shared a 4-speed automatic that could be problematic if it never had fluid changes. The later 5 speed was its mechanical brother and even though they shared a lot of parts it tended to be a bit better for whatever reason.

From my experience with both the Mazda's and Toyotas of that era, if the Mazda was maintained well and doesn't have rust, they can be great little cars. The Toyotas were decent even if maintained less and would be my first choice in this case.

i wanted to add
does a 2007 jetta 2.5l with 210,000 km change anyones opinion? like is this a good car compared to the toyota and mazda?
or a 2009 mazda 3 with 230k km?

are these options decent?

thx

I owned Jetta with the 2.5 inline 5 cyl. They are stout little engines with roots from the Lambo V10 which is kind of cool. If you search around on VWVortex etc, not many issues with the driveline. VW's genrally speaking tend to suffer from plastic/interior quality and electrical issues as they age, just be aware of that.

But, excellent drivers cars and in my experience, reliable. My daily is a 2013 Golf TDI, love it.

found a mazda 2.3L 2007 with only 165,000 km, had low rust and will prob get it krowned. checked underneath and was good, apparently the guy isnt from here so not much rust!! got a good price,

thanks everyone! especially slacktide-bitog and automechanic, you guys helped tons on all my threads sorry about that

found a mazda 2.3L 2007 with only 165,000 km, had low rust and will prob get it krowned. checked underneath and was good, apparently the guy isnt from here so not much rust!! got a good price,

thanks everyone! especially slacktide-bitog and automechanic, you guys helped tons on all my threads sorry about that
Hope he will like it. Mazda are usually solid vehicles I own an 89 Mazda and have absolutely no issues so I am sure he won’t have many either. Curious what model is it?

That would b

That would be the best driving car in that price range. Makes the odd repair not so painful! I'm kind of surprised you can still get a car like that for the price.

Hope he will like it. Mazda are usually solid vehicles I own an 89 Mazda and have absolutely no issues so I am sure he won’t have many either. Curious what model is it?
it is a 2006 mazda 3 hatchback 2.3L. low rust compared to all the other mazda's. was garage stored all its life and i guess that shows as well with the condition. seems like the student just didnt know what it was worth and wanted a quick sale. only 165k km which seems to be really low, all the other japanese cars were at minimum 225k km. seems like this car was worth probably minimum $4000 cad in my opinion. got it inspected by a friend and apparently the brakes and brake pads are also essentially brand new. checked the car fax and it had recently got new power steering fluid, brake fluid, air filter, and it also said automatic transmission serviced so maybe that means new fluid? i dont really know. i checked the fluid manually and smelled it and its reddish pink or whatever and smelled sweet. came with a set of winter tires with rim combo. windshield also in good condition. cant think of anything else right now but seems like a good deal. original engine and transmision and owner looked trustworthy - he also said he was an accountant

it is a 2006 mazda 3 hatchback 2.3L. low rust compared to all the other mazda's. was garage stored all its life and i guess that shows as well with the condition. seems like the student just didnt know what it was worth and wanted a quick sale. only 165k km which seems to be really low, all the other japanese cars were at minimum 225k km. seems like this car was worth probably minimum $4000 cad in my opinion. got it inspected by a friend and apparently the brakes and brake pads are also essentially brand new. checked the car fax and it had recently got new power steering fluid, brake fluid, air filter, and it also said automatic transmission serviced so maybe that means new fluid? i dont really know. i checked the fluid manually and smelled it and its reddish pink or whatever and smelled sweet. came with a set of winter tires with rim combo. windshield also in good condition. cant think of anything else right now but seems like a good deal. original engine and transmision and owner looked trustworthy - he also said he was an accountant
Yes that’s what the transmission fluid is supposed to look like. And yes the transmission service is changing the fluid and filter in the transmission.

Glad you got a good car :)

Get the Krown done as soon as you can

i wanted to add
does a 2007 jetta 2.5l with 210,000 km change anyones opinion? like is this a good car compared to the toyota and mazda?
or a 2009 mazda 3 with 230k km?

are these options decent?

thx
VW are good, safe cars. If its a manual transmission thats hands down the best car you listed so far. Twice the value of the Civic and 3x the Yota. However, specific fluids can be $$. Avoid the DSG transmission altogether.

VW are good, safe cars. If its a manual transmission thats hands down the best car you listed so far. Twice the value of the Civic and 3x the Yota. However, specific fluids can be $$. Avoid the DSG transmission altogether.
2.5s did not come with DSG.

Agree it was the best one on the list.

Seems OP bought a Mazda... hope those subframes are indeed "rust free".

Back