Which car/engine (GM 2.0 or 2.5)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Almost all Sunbird OHC engines (GM of Brazil engine) suffered from head-gasket failure. Like the IM gaskets on 3.4's, failure rate is almost 100%.

Beyond the HG issue, the engine is pretty tough and trouble-free.

Even though they are 'rated' the same, the Sunbird is a much smaller, lighter car, and will get better mileage. The 2.0 OHC engine is much peppier and quicker in that car, too.

The 2.5-power Celebrity is a larger, more roomy and comfortable car, but is much slower and 'softer' than the Sunbird. It will be much quieter and less buzzy than the Sunbird. As mechanix said, this was a good year for the 2.5 - lots of upgrades. A very, very solid engine.

If fuel economy on a short commute is the ONLY concern for this decision, I'd go for the Sunbird. It will cost less to fill, as the tank is smaller. If you plan on doing any longer trips at all, or hauling the odd load of stuff, or driving people around, the Celebrity will be a much more comfortable car to do this.

+1, I suffered through my ex-wife's Sunbird and TWO HG failures in the 75K miles she owned it.

It was an iron block, aluminum head engine that wasn't well designed from the perspective of dissimilar metals and different expansion and contraction rates.

The 2.5L, while not much different from a tractor engine, is nearly bulletproof. Of course, the 22 year old car that comes with it may be its own source of headaches.

But you are shopping in the $500 car market. Pick the one you like, either is disposable if it becomes too much trouble.

Can you buy both and keep one as the backup to the other?

Can't buy both. Looked at the Sunbird today and it has 82k miles. The Celebrity has 113k. Just found out today that GM might screw me out of my bonus money the 2nd year running. Only $2400, but with car sales lately, that's about a months wages.

I'll probably go with the Sunbird. Looks to be better overall condition. If the head gasket goes, I guess I'll learn some impromptu mechanicing. Actually, I can get the Sunbird for $400, but it needs a new battery.

If I can drive it for a year, it will have paid for itself in gas savings and I should be able to get my money back (or more) come next tax season if it is still running.

Last edited:
I love the sound of the 2.0 OHC engine that those Sunbirds have. If the HG does go, they are easy and straight forward to change - I wouldn't worry about it though.

I purchased the Sunbird today. $400, the neighbor said I could pay for it whenever. I hope to get a small sales bonus tomorrow ($500). The car will get a new battery. Then I'll fill it with fresh gas, plus a 1/2 to one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Fresh oil change, then add Auto-Rx when it arrives in the mail. I'll drive it over to the dealership where I work and run it through the car wash. The engine is oily, so I'll spray it down with degreaser and wash it off good. The PVC looks pretty carbed up, so I'll replace that as well. Air filter looks pretty bad, so that'll get changed out right away. I will pull the plugs and check them. I typically replace plugs, wires, rotar and cap when I get a used vehicle. but for now, just get fresh fluids and start saving gas on my daily commute.

The body is straight with the exception of one fender where it has started to rust through. South Dakota winters you know. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

My first OCI will be with Havoline 10W/30 because I have about 20 quarts left (pre Deposit Shield). Would It be o.k. to run 5W/20 after that? It is spec'd for 5W/30.

You could probably get away with it, but I wouldn't run a 5W20 in it. An older engine that especially in the Summer time would probably be better off with a 30 weight.

Don't overlook a used battery for this budget ride. Noone ever thinks of them so junkyard pricing is reasonable, $20 here for a year old one. Congrats.

It's in the front...

pont_13.jpg

For short trips in cold weather, 5W-20 would work well - just keep an eye on consumption on such an old engine.

Spec'd oil was 5W-30; and most shear down to a 20 anyway. For the summer, 10W-30 won't hurt anything, either.

Do not expect to get great mileage on the sunbird, mine had a 3 automatic, 25mpg highway.

I used 10-30 summer, and 5-30 winter, and at that time lol Fram filters like the photo above.

Last edited:
I changed the oil out using up some old stock Havoline 10W/30 and a half quart of MMO. The filter was a pain to get to. Won't be doing that again.

Will install new struts on the front, get it aligned, a couple of new tires and drive the heck out of it.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I changed the oil out using up some old stock Havoline 10W/30 and a half quart of MMO. The filter was a pain to get to. Won't be doing that again.

Will install new struts on the front, get it aligned, a couple of new tires and drive the heck out of it.

You won't be doing oil changes on it anymore?

The oil will get changed, just not by me. I love changing oil, but this thing was a major P.I.T.A. I thought my old Ford Contour was bad.

I got the struts installed today and will get an alignment tomorrow. A couple of cheap tires, if I can find them. This thing runs pretty good for a beater.

I have driven all week (24 miles a day) to work and back on a quarter tank of gas. I figure I'll easily save $100 per month on gas over my 1998 GMC Jimmy just going to work and back.

Seems to shift a little rough when you first put it into gear. Could be a motor mount, or, do these things have a modulator valve on the tranny?

Quote:

"The oil will get changed, just not by me. I love changing oil, but this thing was a major P.I.T.A. I thought my old Ford Contour was bad."

All older j-cars seems to suffer from this.

The new Ecotecs are a breeze, but the 2.2 OHV/Auto combo is an absolute nightmare - it's literally almost impossible to get the filter out, and a new one back on.

Didn't actually know this one (old OHC) was bad as well!

I took the blue beast (same color as the one in the pic above) to Mitchell today for new shoes. I was praying that the tires would hold up until I got to Wally World, 70 miles one way. Once I got new tires, I wasn't afraid to put the hammer down. The Sunbird drove great.

I changed out a couple of vacuum lines today that were probably leaking. Seemed to run a little smoother. Lots of varnish if you look through the oil filler cap. I am running a half quart of MMO now. As soon at the Auto-Rx arrives, I'll switch out oil and add thr Auto-Rx.

This ride ain't pretty. Has a cracked windshield, rocker panels are rusted out, and rear fender rusted through. The interior is in pretty good shape though. Mechanically, I think this engine and tranny have a lot of miles left in them, barring a head gasket failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back