Which band is your favorite for their lyrics?

I'll join the masses that say Rush, there's just no denying that.

Sting. I always thought that his lyrics were great, especially on the last album by The Police, "Synchronicity". His solo work has some great lyrical content as well.

Steve Kilbey-The Church. Their album, "Starfish" is about the only album that did ok in the States since it had "Under the Milky Way" on it. But they have a vast catalog full of great Lyrics.

2 Live crew.... :unsure: :ROFLMAO:.

Eagles, Billy Joel, Toby Keith, Zack Brown Band, Meatloaf, Jimmy Buffet, Blake Shelton....hell all my (y) on Pandora which includes many listed from others above with a definite heavy country and older rock weighting.

I loved it a long time before but after my dad passed, even more. Harry Chapin - Cat's in the cradle. Makes me tear up but I can't shut it off. I see him>me>my son for all of it. Same thing for the many of the John Denver songs he listened to. American soldier-TK, My Old Man-ZBB, (Sittin' on) The dock of the bay

Lots of my favorites are probably more "singer-songwriters" than bands. Does that count?

John Prine
Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings
James McMurtry
Steve Earle
Springsteen
John Hiatt
Leonard Cohen

For me, hands down Rush. Neil Peart was a master lyricist, extremely well read and some of his lines have made me rethink or adopt a new way of looking at things. Let alone the stories that are told.
My first pick in my head when I read the title of this post was Rush. Masterful stories told within the lyrics, both Getty Lee and Neil get the credit. Neil is a legend… RIP professor.

2 Live crew.... :unsure: :ROFLMAO:.
I don't know any 2 Live lyrics. ;)

But more to the point, Eminem is insane about what and how he writes about things.
Even though he's trash as a human, the way Kanye writes, the stories he tells, and how he tell them is a clinic. There are a few websites that dive into this and it's fascinating.

Nightwish, Metallica, Evanescence, Linkin Park (lots of pain in those lyrics), Rammstein, Rush, Stan Rogers, Type O Negative.

So when it comes to lyrics, what do you guys like best?

1. Straightforward lyrics?
2. Lyrics that are open to interpretation/lyrics that involve thought?

Some songs are straight to the point, while others are not.
For example, take "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. That song was played at a lot of weddings back in the day, but it wasn't an appropriate wedding song. Sting has said as much.
Another example by The Police, is Synchronicity ll". Knowing what synchronicity is, you piece the song together to realize that the main character in the song has a monster awaking in him. What happens at the end of the song is left open, what does he do? The monster has come to the surface and is at the door.

Back