Which AMSOIL to use????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
You have 1200 posts.

Yes, and you have over 37,000. Point?

OK so you know you are the one who said SSO is low on additives? How do you know this? By looking at a few elements??

I do not believe you can determine how well an oil is protecting the engine by UOA alone. Little substitute for a proper tear down.

If you are privy to information indicating that SSO is using anti-wear or boundary lube agents that are hiding in the UOAs, feel free to share. You don't do yourself or Amsoil any favors with the stand off approach, FWIW. I would think a proper businessman would use this as an opportunity to extol his product, unless of course you know of nothing to praise.
21.gif

Amsoil 0W-30 is Al's signature oil. The specs. on their website DO look awesome. I do not use it mainly because the Mobil 1 0W-30 is SAE approved, is majority PAO base, and my vehicle is still in warranty. In fact, I continue to use M-1 in our other vehicles, which are now out of warranty because of the actual approvals Mobil-1 carries and because my vehicles all run hundreds of thousands of miles and Mobil-1 gives me excellent service. If Amsoil 0W-30 had National approvals, other than simply Amsoil'd own testing, the superiority of the TBN alone (as opposed to M-1)would have caused me to choose the Amsoil for the newest vehicle. BTW, I would feel the same about M-1 as I do Amsoil, if they were not ISLAC/SAE approved.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I would not use 0W-20 in your Subaru. Either 0W-30 or 5W-30 for the Subie.

Typo. I meant 0W-30 as I was interested in the "SSO" from Amsoil.

JGKC9AYC,

I've used SSO since both Subaru's were new. They both like to consume/burn some between OCI's but not a lot just enough to bug me.

Nevertheless, I will trying ATM 10W-30 to see if it curbs/ends the consumption/burning issue(s).

Regards,
~Button

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
You have 1200 posts.

OK so you know you are the one who said SSO is low on additives? How do you know this? By looking at a few elements??

I do not believe you can determine how well an oil is protecting the engine by UOA alone. Little substitute for a proper tear down.

If you are privy to information indicating that SSO is using anti-wear or boundary lube agents that are hiding in the UOAs, feel free to share. You don't do yourself or Amsoil any favors with the stand off approach, FWIW. I would think a proper businessman would use this as an opportunity to extol his product, unless of course you know of nothing to praise.
21.gif

Now I see how you operate. Just don't use any of them if you don't like the products. To answer the question my choice is the ASL 5W30, very good product at a fair price. Since you are here to try and pick things apart none of this matters at all, does it?

You have 1200 posts.

21.gif

The point is you should know that the ppm's you read in a VOA/UOA have little or nothing to do with how an oil performs. Is that so hard to understand? - I would think after 1000+ posts it would be clear. Amsoil contains proprietary amines, esters and borate esters that don't show up in a $20 UOA.

I am certainly not taking a "stand off approach". I am merely challenging an untrue statement you made on the web. SSO is a great oil, and you really know nothing about it, except what you have read in a UOA. I have to wonder why you made that post in the first place, that's all.

Originally Posted By: Button
JGKC9AYC,

I've used SSO since both Subaru's were new. They both like to consume/burn some between OCI's but not a lot just enough to bug me.

Nevertheless, I will trying ATM 10W-30 to see if it curbs/ends the consumption/burning issue(s).

Regards,
~Button

"ATM"?

Originally Posted By: JGKC9AYC
Originally Posted By: Button
JGKC9AYC,

Regards,
~Button

"ATM"?

Amsoil uses three letters to identify each of their different oils. SSO, ASL, ATM, etc.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atm.aspx

Amsoil contains proprietary amines, esters and borate esters that don't show up in a $20 UOA.

And these do not take the place of a solid anti wear package. Look at Red Line, esters galore and yet they still include an additive package loaded with anti wear goodies.

Quote:
I am certainly not taking a "stand off approach". I am merely challenging an untrue statement you made on the web.

All I said is that it is light on adds, which it is. Nothing untrue about that whatsoever.

Quote:
SSO is a great oil, and you really know nothing about it, except what you have read in a UOA. I have to wonder why you made that post in the first place, that's all.

I never said that SSO wasn't a good oil, only that it is light on anti wear adds.

Quote:
Look at Red Line, esters galore and yet they still include an additive package loaded with anti wear goodies.

Different esters, used for different reasons.

Oh man.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: KW
Now I see how you operate. Just don't use any of them if you don't like the products.

smirk2.gif
You see how I operate?

Amsoilstash.jpg

I use and will continue to use Amsoil products, if that's all right with you.
09.gif
And I plan to purchase them through Gary in the future.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Blurry
Which oil for 2004 Volvo S60 R

AMSOIL 0W30
AMSOIL 5W30
AMSOIL 10W30

Reason I ask is the 04 S60 R recommended oil in the manual is 10W30. In 05 and I believe 06 they (Volvo) changed their minds and recommend 5W30 and yet again in 07 they changed their minds and recommend 5W40. (No change in the engine)????

I drive 15,000 miles a year. Car currently has 92,000 miles. AMSOIL doesn't have their extended filter so I use an OE filter and change every 6-7,000 miles. Thanks.

I honestly would use the ASL or the ATM oils. Since it calls for 10W30 and you question the others run the 10W30 ATM. Any of them will do a very good job for you. For a 6 or 7K OCI I'd not use the pricey SSO though. The other two are really a coin toss.

Originally Posted By: KW
Now I see how you operate. Just don't use any of them if you don't like the products.

smirk2.gif
You see how I operate?

Amsoilstash.jpg

I use and will continue to use Amsoil products, if that's all right with you.
09.gif
And I plan to purchase them through Gary in the future.
grin2.gif

Pretty. I should feel ashamed for questioning your most excellent bow beating your majesty. Everything you say is spot on from now on in my book sir. Good thing that evil SSO is not there or I would be sick sir...and on and on, bow and kiss your ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back