Which 9mm Rd. For EDC/SD

I own a SS Ruger Service Six 3" barrel 9mm revolver. My son has been using/holding it for almost 9 months now I told him l want him to bring it back to me this weekend.
So, all of you 9mm band wagoners, you get to help me decide which 9mm JHP I want to use in it. I know, shot placement is the MOST important thing in putting down the bad guy. But, so is a good JHP bullet.
I have plenty of Winchester T-SERIES and Bonded type JHP bullets that I want to save. But, l also have BOO KOO other JHP bullets. My top choices to use are;
1) Hornady 135 gr. +P FlexLock
2) Hornady 124 gr. XTP
3) Federal 124 gr. Hydra-Shok
4) Federal 124 gr. HST
Which of these (4) would you use in the Ruger revolver?

HST is a proven round. I have them in 9mm and 40 in SD firearms. There are a lot of excellent choices. Winchester Ranger is also a good option. Speer Gold Dot's perform well. Prime consideration is the round be sufficient to stop the threat you seek to stop; not over-penetrate, and function reliably in the firearm of choice.

If you are a civilian and live in an area where you just don't have quite the faith you would like in your DA; it's not a bad idea to see if whatever round your local police or Sheriff's department carry functions in your weapon Minor detail but sometimes it's the little things. ;)

+1 HST or Speer GD would be my choice.

Decent representation of 9mm here. Note though this is not gospel or end all, just a glance at results for this given report.

Usually the bonded bullets show the best 4 layer deninum ballistic jell results,,, but then my dad would say [a WW II vet] would say a hit with a 30 Carbine is better than a miss with a 50 BMG .

Whatever you decide, it's personal protection ammo, not hollow point. That detail will be important if you ever do use your firearm.

Whatever you decide, it's personal protection ammo, not hollow point. That detail will be important if you ever do use your firearm.

Are you saying personal protection ammunition should not be hollow points?

Are you saying personal protection ammunition should not be hollow points?
Nope, I'm saying the term hollow point has been used in court cases against gun owners to prove intent to do harm. It's the same ammo. If you are ever in a situation where you are forced to use your firearm to defend yourself saying you have hollow point ammo will be used against you. So, it's what you say that is different, not the ammunition.

Of those the HST since you are in LA. For winter carry elsewhere (where an attacker may be wearing very heavy jackets) I'd opt for one of the Hornady offerings with the flex tip (Critical D line) they are virtually impervious to plugging up. They come plugged! :D

I have the 124g HST loaded in all three of the defensive 9mm at the moment. An excellent round.

I would be happy with any Speer Gold Dot round as well. I've got Speer Gold Dots for the .45 ACP in 230g and the .40 S&W in both 165g and 180g.

Nope, I'm saying the term hollow point has been used in court cases against gun owners to prove intent to do harm. It's the same ammo. If you are ever in a situation where you are forced to use your firearm to defend yourself saying you have hollow point ammo will be used against you.
No, that is at best partially correct and dated. There was a day in the infancy of HP ammo this was tried with varying degrees of success but that is no longer allowed EXCEPT in cases where state law prohibits use of certain ammo types for civilian use. ( same can be said for Teflon and a few other characteristics)

That's a distinction with a difference.

Of those the HST since you are in LA. For winter carry elsewhere (where an attacker may be wearing very heavy jackets) I'd opt for one of the Hornady offerings with the flex tip (Critical D line) they are virtually impervious to plugging up. They come plugged! :D
I have the Hornady Flex-Lock in my Ruger P85.

Back