Where do you dump your used oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I save my old oil in 2.5 gallon laundry detergent containers and when I get around 5 gallons saved take it to the county hazardous waste collection point, nice people, open three days a week, never have to wait more than 5 minute, usually not at all and it's free. I get rid of any other hazardous waste at the same time. They aren't fussy about the 5 gallon/ 50 lb limit if you don't grossly overdo it.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
A laundry detergent container is the only thing I could find that would hold all 6 quarts from my car.

Since I started using laundry detergent containers I was suprised to see how much more laundry detergent we use than oil. I wonder if the are any laundry detergent websites
grin.gif
with people talking about getting some German detergent made by elves?

The State EPA has a drop-off site in the next county and I take it there. Completely free (well, other than my taxes paying for it...
wink.gif
) and they only ask for city/county info for statistical purposes.

I took a container of oil to Murray's once and they wanted to know everything about me but my mother's maiden name. So when I heard about the state site, I went there and have been using it ever since.

Lucky me... we collect old oil at work. The cognizant environmmental person is a good guy and lets us dump our oil in there as long as we don't mix anything funky, since it gets tested by the collector.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Since I started using laundry detergent containers I was suprised to see how much more laundry detergent we use than oil. I wonder if the are any laundry detergent websites
grin.gif
with people talking about getting some German detergent made by elves?

lol.gif

"...I have 167 quarts of Belgian Tide, it's a lovely blue color and has a wonderful aroma...I have sent a sample out for a VDA to see what is really in it. My Mayatg runs so much smoother with it..."

I take mine to the local recycle center up to 5 gallons allowed at a time. Same thing for my oil filters.
cheers.gif

You know...it seems it's lot easier to get rid of it in the USA then here. I will try Canadian Tire and see what happens, after all I'm the one who bought all their GC
grin.gif
. You know what though...C.T should have a sign outside saying "we take used oil" I mean they are the one who sells truck load of oil and filters.
crushedcar.gif

Canadian Tire stores that I know of in Quebec have steel cabinets outside the garage area where you can drop your used oil containers.

Been dropping mine there for at least 10 years.

I keep mine in a tan five gallon plastic army surplus water jug and take it to the garbage dump every few months and dump it in a big recycle tank there.

I think they limit you to only a few gallons or so at a time though, so sometimes they smart off to me and sometimes not. Just depends on what kind of day they are having...
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JWRENCH:
I keep mine in a tan five gallon plastic army surplus water jug and take it to the garbage dump every few months and dump it in a big recycle tank there.

I think they limit you to only a few gallons or so at a time though, so sometimes they smart off to me and sometimes not. Just depends on what kind of day they are having...
rolleyes.gif

The limit at my city's recyling center is 20 gallons. They have specific prohibitions against "automotive fluids" (like brake fluid) or solvents other than motor oil. Employees there have told me ATF or gear oil was OK, although I haven't tried that recently. I doubt any petroleum/synthetic oil (PS fluid, ATF, or gear oil) would cause any problems.

They once shut it down and had it cleaned when someone dumped an unauthorized solvent in there. I guess their waste oil recycler tests a sample before accepting it. It might have been brake fluid or paint thinner. They claim it costs them thousands of dollars to have it cleaned and disposed of as hazardous waste, but can sell it if uncontaminated.

The City I work for has a used oil tank out front of the maintanance building. They use it to heat the bays in winter. I dump mine there or at a mechanic friend of mine.

I dump mine across the border in "Jersey", which improves the environment in both states...
wink.gif

Mea Culpa Buster, I couldn't resist...

Groucho,

So what's the hot topic of discussion in the watering holes of the Big Apple these days? I dearly do miss the Daily News and Breslin, et al...I think what I may need is "Radio Free Alabama"

Alice in Jesusland

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I take mine to the nearest quick lube. NYS law says they have to take it.

Revenge is sweet!

**** I wish I could do that. I REALLY...REALLY wish...but can't. I did took it to canadian tire today and they took it for $0.25 a litre plus tax. Least I got rid of it.
canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back