Where do I find A5/B5 in Canada? (2019 Volvo)

It does appear that 5W30 complies with that spec..... but Volvo wants the 0W20. I'd probably be fine with either truthfully. Mobil 1 0W20 doesn't list any ACEA rating on the bottle. I didn't dig further than that.
From the original picture you posted it shows 0W-30 or 5W-30 as acceptable grades (no mention of 0W-20). Unless that picture is from somewhere else than the manual?

From the original picture you posted it shows 0W-30 or 5W-30 as acceptable grades (no mention of 0W-20). Unless that picture is from somewhere else than the manual?
1633637896174.jpg

It says it beneath the chart in the manual

Now we're getting into it!!

From what I read on the ACEA website, there is an A rating, a B rating, and a C rating. Most of these oils I found have a A1/B1 C5 rating. I can find much clear english on how the C affects the A/B.

This thread isn't so much a pursuit of "what will be fine", as the dealer already told me "just use any 0W20 oil". This is to try and figure out what the engineers at Volvo said, and how to get it.
A5/B5 is the European spec closest to API Resource Conserving or ILSAC Xw30 motor oil , so any API rated and/or ILSAC 0W20 should be fine, If you've got a Wally World nearby, I think it's only like 18 moose bucks for a 5L jug of Supertech Full Syn.

And again grade is not a “spec” it’s a recommendation.

Least of all the winter rating. That’s chosen by your expected starting temperatures. Both are 30-grades.

As said above, it's in the fine print. Just to make it extra difficult.

Since Liqui-Moly is available at the website listed, and it meets the wonky Volvo spec mentioned in the manual, that's what I decided to go with. I have 10L on a truck headed my way.

I do appreciate all the knowledge sharing. Every time I come to this site, I feel stupid. But I'm now slightly less stupid than before :p

Agree 100% - meets toughest specs around, and 0W as a consideration for Canada climate. - A thick 30-grade more than a '40 grade'.
- and I sure as heck would never use 0W-20 (ANYTHING) for 'extreme' driving conditions!
- Quite the opposite!

0W is for extreme
50W is for extreme

is 0W-20 the only extreme you wanna go cover for?
like said - 0W-40 is available....0W-30 is even recommended, and 5W-30 approved.....pick your poison.

They must be talking extreme cold, otherwise a 30 grade oil with higher HTHS or a high ZDDP oil or a high TBN oil would provide more "extreme" protection. Follow the physics and chemistry, not the English.

Anyway here is a link to all the M1 oils with their ACEA approvals, a number have A5/B5 but they are all 30 grades (as expected).

That M1 0W30 ESP with ACEA C3 and VW 504/507, MB 229.51, Porsche C30 would be my pick. Otherwise vanilla M1 5W30 with A5/B5.

Looking at some actual oils

Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20, approved to Volvo VCC RBS0-2AE, and ACEA A1/B1.
Valvoline SynPower FE 0W-20, Volvo VCC RBS0-2AR Approved, and ACEA C5.
Penrite also say to use a 0W20 ACEA C5 oil.

So if you do want to use a 0W20, then select one with ACEA C5.

FYI the minimum HTHS for the mid-SAPS "C" oils are given below
C2 = 2.9 cP
C3 = 3.5 cP
C5 = 2.6 cP
Looking at the rest of the ACEA requirements, they are mostly the same, apart from minor variations in the Elastomer test and the fuel economy test. Looks like Volvo is a "thinny".

Our D5 calls for A5/B5 0w30 here in Sweden but i went to A5/B5 5w30 when itś so much easyer to find. The latest exchange i ordered Delvac 5w30 A5/B5 from Germany
It sounds like your engine is from the pre-VEA era (VEA is also known as Drive-E). The VEA platform engines came with the new 0W-20 spec requirements, including diesels.

Back