When You Put People On A Racetrack Who Think They Can Drive

Just one run-off humbles you. Hopefully these drivers take it as a lesson learned.

Was going to go to Skip Barber school. I'm more a fan just trying to fill my bucket list. I'm game to go to any that are in my area. Would have loved to drive the affordable car around the track with Stig at the Top Gear track.

All true and humbling, but you get to learn cool things. Using the brakes to make an "impossible" turn via weight transfer, i.e. trail braking. Or changing direction in the middle of an apex with all 4 tires sliding with the throttle, again weight transfer. One of the basic "new bee" rules is that the tires with the most have the most traction.

I call myself an 80% driver. I love track days, but I'm never the fastest guy. Hell, now that I'm older than dirt, I'd be the slowest guy. Some of these folks are 104% drivers and they run out of traction fast...
This. I suspect that most of the drivers is these videos aren't bad drivers. They are just drivers that got sucked into the temptation to push their driving skills, and perhaps their cars, to that 104%.

It's easy to see how it happens. You get on the track. It's super fun. Then some guy passes you in a similar car. Or that motorcycle laps you for the second time. That pride kicks in, and you feel ashamed that you can't keep up. So you push it . . . too far.

One you mention it was used at a racetrack it would be denied. Unless you lie about the accident, but the damage would probably set off other flags once the adjuster looks at the vehicle and the lack of a police report.
That's what track insurance is for...people who do this understand that you don't call your auto insurance haha.. I use Lockton...about $200 for a 2-day event covering about anything you will need if things go wrong. Doing one in a few weeks...lots of fun. Mistakes happen...I've had an off-track excursion...thankfully no damage or injury. Always learning. Funny comments here by folks who likely haven't ever done this🤦‍♂️

20221210_143023.jpg

Last edited:
I use Lockton...about $200 for a 2-day event covering about anything you will need if things go wrong. Doing one in a few weeks...lots of fun.
Now you are tempting me to find a local track and take the tC for a few (slow) laps in the spring!

Now you are tempting me to find a local track and take the tC for a few (slow) laps in the spring!
It's so fun. Lockton and Hagerty are the two big names in the track/HPDE insurance products. You choose the amount and deductable. I always go with $35K (car + mods...all in I'm much higher than that but this is fine) and a 15% deductable. I've never had a claim (makes it cheaper clearly) and you need to be able to substantiate that amount if something happens (no issue, I have detailed files). The policies cover towing is something happens and track damage including spill cleanup etc. For my daily driver this is a must.

It's so fun. Lockton and Hagerty are the two big names in the track/HPDE insurance products. You choose the amount and deductable. I always go with $35K (car + mods...all in I'm much higher than that but this is fine) and a 15% deductable. I've never had a claim (makes it cheaper clearly) and you need to be able to substantiate that amount if something happens (no issue, I have detailed files). The policies cover towing is something happens and track damage including spill cleanup etc. For my daily driver this is a must.
That is convenient and very generous coverage. My car is worth $2500 on good day, completely stock, hence why I'd only take slow laps not to boil my brake fluid or burst a rubber line. Maybe the rate would be cheaper unless for a lower end car unless they refuse to cover it. Interesting to see if they cover total losses, because $2500 in damage with todays rates and part costs wouldn't be hard to do. I didn't see any mention of write offs / totals on their site.

That is convenient and very generous coverage. My car is worth $2500 on good day, completely stock, hence why I'd only take slow laps not to boil my brake fluid or burst a rubber line. Maybe the rate would be cheaper unless for a lower end car unless they refuse to cover it. Interesting to see if they cover total losses, because $2500 in damage with todays rates and part costs wouldn't be hard to do. I didn't see any mention of write offs / totals on their site.
For that car I probably wouldn't do it all but it's just a risk dicussion. A clean up on track can be expensive. I bet it's not much at all for you/that car.

At least these drivers are on a closed course tearing up their own cars (mostly), not on public streets hurting others. You don't know your limit until you exceed it. Not a call you want to make to your insurance company.

For sure since nearly every insurance company has a nordschleife clause. Basically, you're not covered.

But road rules apply unless it's a trackday, which means if you can show fault with the other party they have to pay. on trackdays it's each their own damage.

For sure since nearly every insurance company has a nordschleife clause. Basically, you're not covered.

But road rules apply unless it's a trackday, which means if you can show fault with the other party they have to pay. on trackdays it's each their own damage.
I have USAA and did ask them b/c HPDE can almost be interpreted as a driving school situation but if it's a closed course, it's "track" and not covered hence track insurance is the way. You can certainly still likely have liability issues depending on the situation even on the track but again...track insurance.

yes, but nordschleife is considered by german law to be a toll road without speed limit.... unless it's closed to the public for track days of course.

yes, but nordschleife is considered by german law to be a toll road without speed limit.... unless it's closed to the public for track days of course.
Oh sorry, you are talking specifically about the ring - got it.

I think it was Lewis Hamilton's dad who wrecked his son's Porsche Carrera GT at a racetrack years ago. It's a difficult car to drive. Supposedly his dad was having a great time then no sound. His dad spun the Porsche and tagged the wall.

Please people. Nordschleife is absolutely one of the most challenging tracks. If you never did track and done it for 30min at minimum in one session, you really don’t know what is going on there.
1. Even those cars that look normal, are heavily modified to sustain braking challenges. Otherwise, they would not finish half a circuit.
2. It is really, REALLY unfriendly to FWD and cars that have excessive understeer (Lexus).
3. It is LOOONG track. After some time, and 4-5lbs of lost weight, focus drops.
4. Mistakes happen! All the time! It is human nature. Most people get injured missing step going down the stairs, and that is normal human activity.

Please people. Nordschleife is absolutely one of the most challenging tracks. If you never did track and done it for 30min at minimum in one session, you really don’t know what is going on there.
1. Even those cars that look normal, are heavily modified to sustain braking challenges. Otherwise, they would not finish half a circuit.
2. It is really, REALLY unfriendly to FWD and cars that have excessive understeer (Lexus).
3. It is LOOONG track. After some time, and 4-5lbs of lost weight, focus drops.
4. Mistakes happen! All the time! It is human nature. Most people get injured missing step going down the stairs, and that is normal human activity.
Green Hell.

You never go slow! Does not matter the track. You go on a side, sit in a car, and wait.
This is not very well controlled track bcs. age. You don’t have space to put observers at every corner.
For example, here at HPR in CO, there are observation stations at every corner. Slow vehicle=yellow flag and everyone must go at max 50% throttle. But, HPR is built in 2009 with most modern construction requirements.

Back