When you forget to buy a Napa Platinum during the sale

I usually have a Napa Platinum because I buy it when it's on sale, so that I have it when it's time to change the oil. But unfortunately, I forgot to get one, and the regular price of Gold is only $1 cheaper than the regular price of the Platinum. So I got the cheap Proselect, which is a Purolator.

The Proselect 21334 is a Purolator with a date code of 052021DG, so 5/20/21 or May 20, 2021. It is made in the USA. It is a Purolator but with a Wix baseplate.

50/50 undecided on whether to use it or go get a Tough Guard. I'm not getting an Ultra because they cheapened it, no more wire-backed media even though teh XP/Platinum still does.

I got the filter in order to use my Napa rewards. I also got an oil analysis kit. At this time, it's actually cheaper at Napa than it is from Rock Auto. About $5 less :unsure:

Why not just use it? It's already in your possession. Your engine isn't going to blow up because you used a slightly less good filter.

Next change you can go back to what you normally use, I'd guess your engine won't know the difference.

OK I'll use the Proselect :D
I used a PS on my engine once. NTB was having an conventional OCI sale with Valvoline oil and a PS filter. I think it was like $13.95 plus $3 filter disposal fee. After I left NTB I had to stop at a few places. Each time I got back into my truck and started it, it sounded like a woodpecker on a street light upon startup. I stopped at WM, bought an FL-400S and had my friend install it. The PS became a great target for my Mosin Nagant.

My thoughts are if you are driving a newer car with low miles (50-120k) ANY oil filter will work for 10k miles oci and do fine. If you’ve got an older car with lots of miles 200+ then ANY oil filter will work for 5k miles oci. But using one filter for multiple oil changes, like I’ve done with the wire backed Ultra (28k), seems like the way to go. Ease of maintenance and only having one filter instead of 4-5 to recycle.

I wouldn't worry about the filter for one interval. I took a 1.9L Ford engine to 518K miles on conventional oil and whatever filters were cheapest. The engine was still running when I retired the car for other issues. I'm still using conventional oil and basic oil filters on all my engines. With regular maintenance I wouldn't be surprised if the engines outlast me.

For a basic filter, I trust orange can more than proselect based on how they look cut up here. The pro selects are ugly, and I dont trust Purolator except for OEM on my hyundai. Tough guard would be more in line with a napa gold. I just think the fiber bonds better than the metal end caps. Supertech is a good option too.

I wouldn't worry about the filter for one interval. I took a 1.9L Ford engine to 518K miles on conventional oil and whatever filters were cheapest. The engine was still running when I retired the car for other issues. I'm still using conventional oil and basic oil filters on all my engines. With regular maintenance I wouldn't be surprised if the engines outlast me.
In practice these are facts. Sure, we here on BITOG fret over the details, but 99.9% of the population doesn't and there cars are still running.

Change the oil and filter on a reasonable interval (with pretty much any oil and filter on the shelf,) and the reason you get rid of the car will have nothing to do with lubrication of the engine in most cases.

Fact is, there is really no point to BITOG.......but that would be outrageous to say! LOL

Unless it's a Hyundai or Kia! But it won't be the filter's fault, contrary to what the stealer says.
I have personally never had an issue with any after-market filter in my Hyundai's and KIAs. I have mostly stuck with WIX, but have used Purolator, BOSCH (also a Purolator I believe) and some others. OEM is fine too and not overly expensive. I had posted earlier that I chatted with the Service Manager at Hyundai Fort Mill, SC when I bought the Tucson a few weeks ago. He said they put Quaker State 5W-20 synthetic blend in pretty much every vehicle, unless the customer states they want synthetic. They obviously use an OEM filter. I asked about that and he said for a while an aftermarket filter had caused problems, but it has been several years since he had seen an issue with it. I should have asked him about warranty, but I didn't. Fact is, if an OEM filter is REQUIRED for warranty, they have to give them to you for free. MMA I believe states that.

The sentiments expressed above are nothing new. Timely maintenance using good or better supplies.

What blows my mind is that filter companies have added "Jobbers filters"; a quality level beneath their lowest.
How can anyone consider buying that one?

Back