when will the grand marquis production stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kingrob, sorry about that statement, yes there are plenty of young people who are driving those cars too.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Sorry, where I live we don't have any fleets or taxi service. Just a bunch of police and highway patrol cars.

CVPI won't last long if this takes off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ2681Em4yI

I find their claim of being able to sell it at the same price as existing equipped police car rather "remarkable".

What engine are they using? It's a turbocharged 3.0 liter diesel.

It will not be UAW built and their executives would probably make less $

A number tossed around by would be union busters is that the UAW adds about $2k per car. The boobs at the top add a lot less because there are fewer of them.

Then consider that the tooling and manufacturing facility for the Crown Vic as well as design costs are already paid for.

It doesn't seem reasonable that they could build it for less than twice the price of a Crown Vic. It looks like more a grab for investors money than a viable product.

It looks considerably more expensive to build than a Corvette. A Corvette has a production base of about 40,000 cars/year which is one of the reasons they are as expensive as they are with a base MSRP of about $45k.

The big three may not be the most cost effective producers in the world but they do have a humungous production base and lots of experience. The odds of a new start matching their efficiency are slim to none.

Quote:
It doesn't seem reasonable that they could build it for less than twice the price of a Crown Vic. It looks like more a grab for investors money than a viable product.

Some of the promotional points in the video were adult versions of "Johnny has a personal custom bike, why don't I have one?
frown.gif
"
LOL.gif
99.5% of vehicular police duty is transparent with common passenger car service. You can't say that for the examples that they cited in public service.

The liberal media has had its own list of "unintended watershed side effects" when it comes to selling something that really doesn't flush when you have an opportunity to sensibly evaluate it.

..and we'll win ..because ...well, we're the Bradys ... (a few of you may catch the concept here).

Not soon enough. Why aren't they being advertised? Why is it the last of the V8 Ford sedans? Simply because my grandfather isn't buying new cars anymore. It's a dying breed of outdated, antiquated technology that epitomizes a lot of what's wrong with the big 3's industry.

If there was a crazy market for this car It would be widely marketed and sold in large numbers. But it's a feet product - for police mainly. If you love the car and are apologizing for it while wondering why this 70's style vehicle is fading to black, you're in the minority of car consumers. Otherwise they'd be opening up a new factory to increase production.

There's no more Chevy Caprice, Pontiac Parisienne, Dodge Monaco, Buick Roadmaster or Studebakers being made either. The market has changed - for the better.

A car that will go 3/4 of a million Km with ease epitomizes what's wrong with the big three's industry?

Ummmmmm.........

Originally Posted By: Gannet167
If "with ease" includes endless repairs, sure. The industry's model is based on selling parts, repairs and replacement vehicles on a quick turn around basis.

You actually OWN a Panther chassis car or are you just talking?

I replaced the ORIGINAL upper ball joints last year on my 1989 Town Car. With over 300,000Km on them.

To date, my father has had to replace NOTHING but the TIRES on his 2003 Town Car. NOTHING.

But I'm sure you know more than those of us who actually own them.....

You're individual experience doesn't represent a whole production line of cars. ConsumerReports tells a different story. Yes, a family friend owns a Lincoln Town car, and he has spent thousands keeping it alive. Disappointing for the flagship of Ford's fleet.

I think these cars are probably better quality overall than your average Ford product, but the design is outdated and demand for the product is falling. They just don't sell many of them anymore.

The Crown Vic et al are superb, heavy-duty cars that work well in fleet and abusive operating environments, however they are dated and fall short for the vast majority of drivers, where a more modern full-size car (like the Taurus/500) have much better chassis dynamics, more interior room, better fuel economy and overall more pleasing to drive.

FWIW, I have owned several full-size RWD Fords, and often rent either the CV or Lincoln, but with other, more modern choices available, it's a car that I would not choose to own anymore.
(Now maybe if they brought back the Country Squire....)
wink.gif

You're individual experience doesn't represent a whole production line of cars. ConsumerReports tells a different story. Yes, a family friend owns a Lincoln Town car, and he has spent thousands keeping it alive. Disappointing for the flagship of Ford's fleet.

I think these cars are probably better quality overall than your average Ford product, but the design is outdated and demand for the product is falling. They just don't sell many of them anymore.

According to Consumer Reports, the majority of Ford vehicles produce in the past five years or so have reliability on par with Toyota and Honda. I hardly think the CV would be considerd the "flagship" for Ford, for family sedans it yould be the Fusion.

The ford crown vic/Merc/Town car is one of the most reliable cars out there.

That is why Police, taxi, limo, fleets use the car!
The car is built rock soild. and the modular engine is bullit proof.

You can side swipe cars doing the PIT, go over curbs, idle for hours, cold start and high rev the heck out of the motor, drive in stop and go traffic for days at a time and still get 200,000 miles plus with minimal maintence.
Great track record. All it needs is to be redone and redesigned for the next generation.

Not soon enough. Why aren't they being advertised? Why is it the last of the V8 Ford sedans? Simply because my grandfather isn't buying new cars anymore. It's a dying breed of outdated, antiquated technology that epitomizes a lot of what's wrong with the big 3's industry.

If there was a crazy market for this car It would be widely marketed and sold in large numbers. But it's a feet product - for police mainly. If you love the car and are apologizing for it while wondering why this 70's style vehicle is fading to black, you're in the minority of car consumers. Otherwise they'd be opening up a new factory to increase production.

There's no more Chevy Caprice, Pontiac Parisienne, Dodge Monaco, Buick Roadmaster or Studebakers being made either. The market has changed - for the better.

We get it. You're a troll who doesn't like Domestic vehicles. Go find another forum.

my 1994 grand marquis was a awesome car, it went about 235,000 miles (14years) without any major repair, well hardly any repairs actually
original starter, hose's, radiator, altenater, tranny never touched besides a fliud change, no electial work period besides one MAf sensor.
all ball joints original but one, they were tired thou

the last year I drove it I put less than 10 dollars worth of repairs into besides oil changes

No, you are right, my INDIVIDUAL experience with TWO of them does not. Now the fact my family has owned probably 15 or 20 Lincoln's over the years gives a better trend. Certainly a better, and more accurate trend than your 3rd party experience with a SINGLE Town Car owned by a friend......

Taxi's, Limousine and Police Cars, who use these cars and put a few hundred thousand miles on them, then sell them, where they often see another few hundred thousand miles DOES speak to the durability of these cars. This has been covered on here, use the search function. There has been lots of input from fleet drivers and mechanics as to the durability and robustness of this platform.

It is simply not a great CONSUMER car. Which is why the majority of purchases are for fleet use; Limousine, Taxi and Police use.

EDIT:

In fact, since my post, we've had a number of Panther chassis OWNERS chime in and their experience, again, does not reflect your 3rd party example.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
You can side swipe cars doing the PIT, go over curbs, idle for hours, cold start and high rev the heck out of the motor, drive in stop and go traffic for days at a time and still get 200,000 miles plus with minimal maintence.

Our local PD has to rotate them out of the fleet between 80,000 and 90,000 miles.

Even at that point, the repair logs are a horror story, even with a 60 day maintenance schedule. The fun began right after the 36,000 mile warranty expired.

In Mar 2008, at 90,716 miles, the vehicle as brought in to look at the ABS & brake lights being on. It was determined to be an intermittent problem.

In Oct 2007, at 84,263 miles, the alternator was replaced.

In Sep 2007, at 83,894 miles, the ignition lock cylinder was replaced.

In Aug 2007, at 83,330 miles, the driver’s door lower hinge and the #2 bank catalytic converter assembly were replaced.

In Jun 2007, at 80,458 miles, the alternator & blower fan wheel were replaced.

In Jun 2007, at 80,452 miles, the blower motor was replaced.

In April 2007, at 79,328 miles, the alternator belt was replaced.

In Mar 2007, at 77,249 miles, all the rotors and pads were replaced.

In Feb 2007, at 76,127 miles, the right front dust shield rivets were replaced.

In Oct 2006, at 71,689 miles, the brake pads & front rotors were replaced.

In July 2006, at 66,753 miles, the air conditioner compressor, accumulator assembly & orifice tube were replaced.

In July 2006, at 66,750 miles, the fuel gauge assembly was replaced.

In April 2006, at 62,764 miles, the dash lights were replaced.

In April 2006, at 62,039 miles, a relay for the air conditioner was replaced.

In Feb 2006, at 59,461 miles, the vehicle was taken to a local transmission repair facility to repair an unknown transmission problem.

In Dec 2005, at 55,206 miles, the serpentine belt was replaced.

In Nov 2005, at 53,329 miles, the air cleaner housing assembly was replaced. Also, the spark plugs were replaced and the throttle plate was cleaned.

In April 2005, at 37,064 miles, the trunk lock was repaired.

Here's another from the fleet. Could both of them be Monday cars?

In June 2007, at 91,035 miles, the battery and alternator was replaced. At this time, it was noticed there was knocking in the engine.

In Oct 2006, at 84,776 miles, the idler pulley, belt and belt tensioner were replaced.

In early Aug 2006, at 83,127 miles, a new cooling fan was installed.

In July 2006, at 83,097 miles, the rear brake pads were replaced and the rear brake rotors were reconditioned. The master cylinder fluid level switch was replaced with a used one.

In Apr 2006, at 79,959 miles, the #5 cylinder coil and all the spark plugs were replaced.

In Feb 2006, at 78,375 miles, the power steering pump was replaced, three of the tires were replaced, the parking brake shoes were replaced, both axle bearings and pinion seal were replaced, and an alignment was done on the car.

Also in Feb 2006, at 78,182 miles, the steering wheel bearing in the tilt portion of the column was replaced.

In Jan 2006, at 76,413 miles, the idler arm, left inner and outer tied rod ends were replaced.

In Sept 2005, at 71,538 miles, the air conditioner drive belt was replaced.

Also in Sept 2005, at 71,189 miles, the right front brake caliper slide bolts, pads and anti-rattle clips were replaced, along with the left front tire.

In July 2005, at 67,800 miles, the driver’s door window regulator was replaced.

In mar 2005, at 59,736 miles, the alternator was replaced.

In Nov 2004, at 54,888 miles, the spark plugs, plug boots, intake manifold and belt were replaced.

In May 2004, at 43,498 miles, the upper ball joints, pittman arm and both tie rod ends were replaced.

In Mar 2004, at 39,805 miles, the fuel door release button was replaced.

In Sept 2003, at 29,281 miles, the right front upper ball joint was replaced.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Here's another from the fleet. Could both of them be Monday cars?

In June 2007, at 91,035 miles, the battery and alternator was replaced. At this time, it was noticed there was knocking in the engine.

In Oct 2006, at 84,776 miles, the idler pulley, belt and belt tensioner were replaced.

In early Aug 2006, at 83,127 miles, a new cooling fan was installed.

In July 2006, at 83,097 miles, the rear brake pads were replaced and the rear brake rotors were reconditioned. The master cylinder fluid level switch was replaced with a used one.

In Apr 2006, at 79,959 miles, the #5 cylinder coil and all the spark plugs were replaced.

In Feb 2006, at 78,375 miles, the power steering pump was replaced, three of the tires were replaced, the parking brake shoes were replaced, both axle bearings and pinion seal were replaced, and an alignment was done on the car.

Also in Feb 2006, at 78,182 miles, the steering wheel bearing in the tilt portion of the column was replaced.

In Jan 2006, at 76,413 miles, the idler arm, left inner and outer tied rod ends were replaced.

In Sept 2005, at 71,538 miles, the air conditioner drive belt was replaced.

Also in Sept 2005, at 71,189 miles, the right front brake caliper slide bolts, pads and anti-rattle clips were replaced, along with the left front tire.

In July 2005, at 67,800 miles, the driver’s door window regulator was replaced.

In mar 2005, at 59,736 miles, the alternator was replaced.

In Nov 2004, at 54,888 miles, the spark plugs, plug boots, intake manifold and belt were replaced.

In May 2004, at 43,498 miles, the upper ball joints, pittman arm and both tie rod ends were replaced.

In Mar 2004, at 39,805 miles, the fuel door release button was replaced.

In Sept 2003, at 29,281 miles, the right front upper ball joint was replaced.

Have to be. The statistics for the platform would show these two examples to be anomalies.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Have to be. The statistics for the platform would show these two examples to be anomalies.

Of course they are. Just two random duds in a one small city police department.

I've got to disagree with you. I can't think of one package that can deliver all that the Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marque can deliver in one package. Room, comfort, 110mph+ capability ..and, if driven sensibly, 24mph. No other package that I know of can do so ..and achieve high durability in the field ..proven over a long span of time. All cars are compromises ..but I think the CV platform sacrifices the least and delivers the most in that exchange.

While it will probably die due to lack of demand ..it won't be due to lacking ability to perform side by side with smaller and lower powered cars. 24mpg is a very respectable showing and the amount that you can achieve above it ..at the prevailing cost difference, really makes it a matter of mis-perception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back