When To Use Your Parking Lights

• In the drive-thru.
  • When you're parked by the side of the road if the road is low traffic and low speed. (If the road is high traffic or high speed, consider the hazard lights instead. Of course, if you're actually in an active lane use your hazards.)
  • In the drive-thru.
  • At dawn and dusk, when it would be helpful to have the tail lights on, or if you want the tail lights on with the DRLs.
  • In the drive-thru.
  • When you're parked at Walmart and you want everyone to see how cool your LED parking lights look.
  • In the drive-thru.

Sorry my 98 s10 dosen't give me the option of disabling the auto-lights short of shutting down the engine and restarting with the parking brake engaged. I did do the relay mod to disable the drl.

• In the drive-thru.
  • When you're parked by the side of the road if the road is low traffic and low speed. (If the road is high traffic or high speed, consider the hazard lights instead. Of course, if you're actually in an active lane use your hazards.)
  • In the drive-thru.
  • At dawn and dusk, when it would be helpful to have the tail lights on, or if you want the tail lights on with the DRLs.
  • In the drive-thru.
  • When you're parked at Walmart and you want everyone to see how cool your LED parking lights look.
  • In the drive-thru.
You are preaching to the choir. I am sure most know when to use their parking lights without your "expert" opinion. What's next, when to use your brake pedal?

Turn parking lights on prior to warning oncoming traffic by "flashing" your headlights. We all know the reasons why we may want to warn oncoming drivers.

On many vehicles, this prevents the taillights from flashing too.

You are preaching to the choir. I am sure most know when to use their parking lights without your "expert" opinion. What's next, when to use your brake pedal?
99% of people don't even know what the parking lights are for.

I sometimes turn them on for long trips. But they are real nice when friving into the sun during rush hour, so as to let people behind you see yourself.

Wish DRL had rear lamps on, but these days I hate headlights on during the day, some cars are painfully bright—even in daylight hours!

Wish DRL had rear lamps on,

I think this is changing. When it is raining or any condition of decreased visibility I turn my headlights on manually. I also use my fog lights. I want to be visible to everyone else. Being on the freeway with heavy rain and spray is bad enough but those without lights, especially in the rear are a accident waiting to happen.

I think this is changing. When it is raining or any condition of decreased visibility I turn my headlights on manually. I also use my fog lights. I want to be visible to everyone else. Being on the freeway with heavy rain and spray is bad enough but those without lights, especially in the rear are a accident waiting to happen.
Not sure how many states require it, but I think I have only lived where it is state law to have headlights on when the wipers are on (forget if it states wipers or just says precipitating). Now that is a different pet peeve, people driving in rain or fog with no headlights…

I guess I just don’t see the point of this thread.

Parking lights are for parking. So that a stationary car is visible to traffic.

If it’s daylight, then you can see my car at Starbucks, parking lights are too dim to help.

If it’s dusk, or dark, then my headlights are on, and so are my parking lights.

And you can see my car.

Under what circumstance would parking lights be needed at the drive through?

Back