When to start using M1 T&S 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I just bought a 2005 Chevy Aveo. I has a 1.6 litre 16 valve dohc and a five speed manual transmission. I just drove it home. It sitting in the drive way with just 21 miles on it. I just cant stand driving it any longer not knowing what kind of oil is in it. I was going to change it out. I was thinking I have some rotella t 10W-30 and some AC filter. I was going to drop that at 500 miles and put in fresh 5W-40 M1 T&S would that be to early to use a syn. oil? if it is to early then when would it be good to start? And if 500 miles is good and everything, what would be the earliest I could start using it?

Thanks for the help.
-JR

P.S.
Also my boyfriend has never drove a stick. And since this car is a stick I will have to teach him how to. Would you guys have any advice to givce that could make it easier for him to learn?

Thanks again for the help.

A girl teaching a guy to drive a 5 speed manual
grin.gif

I would keep the factory oil in for a few thousand miles.

No advice on the oil, but if you Google how to drive a stick shift (or variations of those terms) you'll find quite a few articles online that should get your boyfriend started.

Keep petroleum motor oil in there through the summer, then if you really can't wait, put synthetic in there in time for the colder weather. Let the poor car break in a little, first.

Driving manual transmission, best advice I can give is

1. be smooth ('nuff said)

2. wait for the equipment (you can feel when things are synchronized if you very gently push on the stick shift with the clutch pedal depressed while shifting gears, while you are in the neutral position and just about to push it into the next gear... there is a slight decrease in resistance felt in the shifter when things are lined up... after awhile, you will be able to do this by sound, timing and intuition, but to start with, try to feel it in the shifter)

BTW, number 2 only applies to upshifting (1 to 2 to 3...). Downshifting (5 to 4 to 3...), in order to get things really lined up, you should

2a. rev match (while clutch pedal is depressed, blip the gas pedal to bring revs up to where the lower gear is going to be)
2b. double clutch. It's a really fine point, but if you really want to drive a stick shift perfectly, you should double clutch. quickly, it involves rev matching, here are the points of a successful double clutch...

i. depress clutch pedal
ii. put shifter into neutral
iii. release clutch pedal
iv. blip throttle to match the revs
v. depress clutch pedal
vi. shift into lower gear
vii. release clutch pedal
viii. enjoy a perfect double clutch!

All those steps take a fraction of a second. Why all the clutch pedal action? The synchronizers in your manual transmission work to match your engine speed with your transmission speed whenever you shift into a gear. Just rev matching does not match the synchronizer speed to the transmission speed.

Double clutching, when done right, will minimize the work synchronizers have to do to match engine and transmission speeds, and could theoretically lengthen the life of your transmission (likelihood, low... transmissions are way better than they used to be, you'll most likely get tired of your car before you break/wear out a synchro).

More importantly, double clutching is really, really fun and racy! But if you can't do it quickly and smoothly, just rev match. If you can't rev match smoothly, then just be smooth
smile.gif

Another reason to double clutch... you can drive big trucks which don't have synchronized gears if you know how to double clutch... also, in the unlikely event you *break* a synchronizer in your transmission, you can still shift gears, since you are manually synchronizing the gears when double clutching.

I am impressed! I don't know which impresses me more; JR teaching the b/f how to drive a stick, or bigpaulo's response. Anyway, yes, keep the breakin (factory) oil in there for at least 1000 miles, then go for the synoil. I would, however, stick with the manufacturer recommended oil weight.

Keep the factory oil for at least 3k...it's fresh and clean...why waste it, resources and $.

Always have made a policy of dropping O&F when the new unit arrives home from the dealer. Last 4 wheel vehicle was a 04 Focus that had probably 5-20 Motorcraft semi-syn in it. Ran 5-30 Supertech for 2K and went to Mobil 1 5-30. Car runs great 32-36 mgh. So different point of view, however, have noticed on some new engines little pieces of shiney like machine leftovers and gasket type crud. Goodluck JR on teaching boyfriend how to shift 5-speed.
smile.gif

Rotella is a good option for you at break in. It won't hurt anything to change the oil now.

The key with anyone learning a stick is to take out the traffic part of the equation. That way no pressure (and no honking) as he works out the coordination. Find some quiet neighborhood route.

The big thing is don't ride the clutch. I had a "buddy" burn out the clutch of my then new car in college after he borrowed it to run a few errands.

It has been my experince that it is never a good idea for a loved one,significant other or boy friend/girl friend to teach their counter part!!! It almost never goes smoothly and nervious tension runs high!! Does he have a frined or relative with a manual transmission that could teach him?

Remember to be patient with him and do not allow yourself to get frustrated or short with him! If he starts to get nervious or frustrated try to calm him down asap!!! Find a remote place like a parking lot in an industrial parking lot or fire rd. etc..... Keep the leason's short adn freq.!Get him to practice in the liveing room learning to cordinate his feet and he can also practice in the parking lot with the engine off at times just to get comfortable! Make sure he does not ride the clutch and uses the dead pedal if the vechile has one!

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Keep the factory oil for at least 3k...it's fresh and clean...why waste it, resources and $.

I was always under the impression (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) that, you'd want to get the break in oil out around 1000-1500 miles. You'd want that metallic flake floating around in there for 3K? I mean, granted, your filter (hopefully) will catch it, but, you never know. Just wondering, because I changed the factory oil outta both my cars at ~1300 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by JR:
I just bought a 2005 Chevy Aveo. I has a 1.6 litre 16 valve dohc and a five speed manual transmission. I just drove it home. It sitting in the drive way with just 21 miles on it. I just cant stand driving it any longer not knowing what kind of oil is in it. I was going to change it out. I was thinking I have some rotella t 10W-30 and some AC filter. I was going to drop that at 500 miles and put in fresh 5W-40 M1 T&S would that be to early to use a syn. oil? if it is to early then when would it be good to start? And if 500 miles is good and everything, what would be the earliest I could start using it?

Thanks for the help.
-JR

P.S.
Also my boyfriend has never drove a stick. And since this car is a stick I will have to teach him how to. Would you guys have any advice to givce that could make it easier for him to learn?

Thanks again for the help.

Actually, I'm curious as to why you'd want to put a 5w-40 in that little 4 banger. I mean, I've heard good things about the T&S oil, but, in an Aveo?
dunno.gif
Just curious....

I just put Delvac 15W-40 in my 86 Acura Integra 1.6 liter and it loves it. Of course that engine has close to 300k miles on it, so it's not going to be quite the same as a brand new one
smile.gif

Any small metal flakes running around inside your engine should get caught by the filter.

If there are metal flakes stuck inside your engine somewhere, changing the oil won't likely free them.

It drove me nuts leaving the factory-fill GM-issued Mobil Drive Clean oil in my new Chevy Colorado 4X4 for 3500 miles -- but I survived & so did the engine rather nicely.

Change it at or after 3000 miles for best break-in of the valve seats -- then switch to synthetic. Your 5W-40 should only be used if it's included as such in your owners manual. Most GM manuals these days recommend 5W-30 above zero temps & 0W-30 for colder temps. Follow your manual for the lifetime of your new vehicle warranty.

BTW... I'm not far from you. I keep a 5th wheel travel trailer over in North Branch year-round -- inside Sutters Campground.

[ May 06, 2005, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

You drive a stick?...Well
worshippy.gif
to you. I've always admired women who knows how to drive a manual tranny car. Good luck teaching your bf to drive a stick. Give him a good
twak.gif
if he screws up.
wink.gif

Me, I actually learned how to drive with a manual 4sp VW Bug in my younger years and several other manual tranny cars...now I drive a slush box
rolleyes.gif
. Well good thing at least it's a manu-matic Tiptronic.

Once you know how to drive a stick, you can virtually drive any motor vehicle.

Regarding motor oil for your Aveo, if you ask me I'd run GC 0W30 instead.

I switched my new Toyota from dino to M1 at 1000 miles. I only put 285,000 on it before I got rid of it, and the engine was still good, just too many other things needed fixed at the same time so it was a better value to replace the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back