When to do first ATF change (ie break in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On engine oil on a new car I do my first change at 500, then at 1500, then at 5000 and then go by the manufacturer's recommendation.

For ATF, when's a good conservative mileage for the first break in fluid change? (5000 miles, 10,000 miles or other)

Ask 5 of us and you'll get 7 different opinions. Some will say you change the fluid as soon as you drive it home from the dealer, others will say to wait until 30K. The truth is somewhere in between.

Unless your transmission is using expensive "lifetime" fluid, I'd say 5K would be good, especially if you want to match the 500/1500/5000 routine done for oil changes.

Davefr: Awhile back I changed the ATF for the first time in my Buick at 36K. It came out very clean and red. I think you can go 30 to 40K with no problem (if the fluid still looks and smells good on the dipstick). I think changing it at anything less than 20K is a waste of money and natural resources (the fluid).

Unless you are using the car under severe conditions probably 30-40k would be ok. If you are towing then you may want to reduce this. Engine oil and ATF run in totally different enviroments.

I prefer to change all driveline fluids within 10k for a new vehicle as I believe it to be the best PM one can do.

For the tranny, just drain from pan when fluid is warm and replenish.

I'd follow Mola's recommendation. If you're considering a full flush, I'd send a sample to a testing lab. $20 spent there is better than spending much more on a flush unless you do it yourself. I'd also add an inline filter to the transmission like a Magnefine or SPX Filtran.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back