When to change over to synthetic - Hemi Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2011 Ram 1500 with the Hemi. I have a weird anal retentive breakin oil change deal so please excuse me. It had its oil changed at 250 miles with PYB, and I am coming up on 1,000 miles pretty quickly. I was planning on changing the oil again and letting it roll to 4,000 miles before another change. I was thinking PYB again, or Penz Platinum synthetic for the 1k oil change. Thoughts? Am I just throwing money out the window?
My daily commute is 3 miles to work, and back again at lunch, then home after work. So in all I make 4 seperate 3 mile trips per day, and a possible run into town after work once in awhile. About every 2 to 3 months I will take it on a 700 mile round trip mostly highway to go camp and ride dirtbikes int he Ozark Mountains..

Another thought was using Motorcrafts synthetic blend. I think I have read that it is a great oil, and affordable too. With winter coming up here in KC, Kansas, I will need a good cold starting oil.

Last edited:
The old rule of thumb was to wait 5K-10K miles in order for the piston rings to seat but, I don't know if this applies any longer as many of todays newer engines are coming out of the factory with synthetic oil and many members here at BITOG are switching right away.

Jason,

I admit when I bought my 01' Durango I didn't make the switch until a year had passed. Now a days where synthetic oil is just like apple pie and Americanca I see no reason why you could make the switch over at the 5K interval.

Durango

I would run dino and change it more often if you only commute 3 miles each way.

Per the syn, you can change over any time, especially if you have already put a 1000 miles or so on the dino.

Since we routinely run our fleet engines to ridiculous miles we recommend you do exactly what we do:

Buy whatever name brand synth is on sale.

Change when your OLM tells you to.

Be careful asking all us oil-crazy folks these loaded questions!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Since we routinely run our fleet engines to ridiculous miles we recommend you do exactly what we do:

Buy whatever name brand synth is on sale.

Change when your OLM tells you to.

Be careful asking all us oil-crazy folks these loaded questions!

thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

Woo Hoo -- another Olathan. Like others have said, you can change it whenever you wish (and back again). I typically wait until the first complete run to put synthetic in. I like to perform shorter OCIs initially -- like you. For those, I use dyno or blend. In about a year or so, we'll have to get together for a plug-changing party
smile.gif

With those short trips, I would stick with dino and change it more often to get any contaminants out. Dinos are very good now, and MC is a semi synth.
But sure... you can go full synth any time you want to.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
With those short trips, I would stick with dino and change it more often to get any contaminants out. Dinos are very good now, and MC is a semi synth.

I would run Synthetic on all those short trips as it should flow and lubricate better. Four 3 mile trips every day in wintertime is a lot of "cold oil" driving!

I changed my Dakota 4.7 over to synthetic at 600 miles. Since you have already changed oil once I would just wait until mid-October and then change to a FULL synthetic for the upcoming winter cold starts.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

I would run Synthetic on all those short trips as it should flow and lubricate better. Four 3 mile trips every day in wintertime is a lot of "cold oil" driving!

I think you both are right. So do a good semi-syn with a not too long oci. Or do uoa's on it since you are on an oil forum and just that means your a little hardcore. Im doing uoa on my 94 truck so i think yours deserves it. esp with all that $ you had to shell out. My aunt has one and she say it hauls. Not the best gas mileage but not the worst.

But as to your question if u are only going 3000 until your next dump and use syn then ill be dissapointed if you waste that. at least save it for the lawnmower.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonK94Z
I have a new 2011 Ram 1500 with the Hemi.

Doesn't it call for a 5w20 (if it has the cylinder deactiviation?) If so pick a 5w20 "syn-blend" like Motorcraft or any other brand that advertises its 5w20 as a syn-blend and be done with it.

My folks have an '08 with the variable displacement system and have run nothing but 5w20 syn-blends in it since new. They regularly tow a camper or boat as well as equipment trailers and have had no issues using such a "light weight" oil in a Hemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back