When is a safe time to start synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the new Pentastar V6 is coming up on an oil change. Currently has 2000 miles on it. I want to run Valvoline Synpower, and was wondering when a good time to start is? Not sure if it was to early. I appreciate any help. Thank you!

any time; many cars come with synthetic from the factory.

I personally would run the factory fill a bit longer. You are not changing oil @ 3K as a regular routine?

Last edited:
On a modern engine I doubt 2000 miles is too early. Some vehicles come with synthetic factory fill.

Go ahead and switch over without worry.

3000 miles is not my normal routine. It just has the factory fill in and I want to dump it. Total vehicle mileage right now is 2k miles.

Whenever you wish. One can freely put just about any oil in their vehicle that is up to spec.. whether conventional, Synthetic, or blended. Whenever you wish... switch back and forth as much as you like.

how dare you make a statement like that..j/k i can't believe suburu says in the om that if you change to syn you should stick with it.

Originally Posted By: jek
how dare you make a statement like that..j/k i can't believe suburu says in the om that if you change to syn you should stick with it.

It has to do with Japanese cars becoming severely addicted to synthetic oil. Convential oil will lead to horrible performance durring the "detox period"...
smirk.gif

I will stick to my guns that for most vehicles, if the oil is on spec, there's no logic behind having to STAY with product X.

It's pretty arbitrary, but personally if it isn't FF, I'd go a few shorty OCIs and then go syn and stick with it.

Originally Posted By: jek

The 2.5 in the 2013 Subaru Legacy and Outback requires synthetic.

There should be nothing wrong with using the Synpower now, but having that in there doesn't mean you won't still have a lot of wear metal from the new engine so it may not be worth the expense.

Unless you're using redline, amsoil, or royal purple and maybe a couple others I can't think of you're not using synthetic.

Change it now and follow you manufactures oil change recommendation and the motor will last a very long time if everything else is maintained correctly.

Its not a waste, I would have dumped it sooner since the factory fill surely has some metal shavings from the engine break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back