Best API Grp IV+ Synthetic Oil for a '13 Jeep 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just bought a new '13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, w/the new Pentastar 3.6L V6 engine. I noticed that it requires 5W-20 oil. I could of sworn that I saw a '12 model Jeep Wrangler, w/the same engine, saying 5W-30 on it's oil cap. Why the oil weight change, and is it safe?

I've so far got 500 miles on the engine, w/o any loss of oil, but I'm not very comfortable w/the 5W-20 in it.

With that said, what would be the best API (American Petroleum Institute) Group IV base oil, or better, synthetic engine oil to run in it once the engine is broken in? I'd like to use a REAL synthetic oil.

Is there a heavy 5W-20 oil available. When I say heavy, I mean like how GC 0W-30 is considered a heavy weight, while a 0W-30 Mobile 1 is considered a light weight oil.

I would imagine, that it has to be a Type SM or newer in that engine?

Thx

Last edited:
First, you'll want to make sure you stick with the grade recommended as they are still having engine problems with the 3.6. Also you MUST use oil that meets the chrysler specification.

Chrysler switched to 5w-20 claiming that it cooled the heads better, IIRC.

Please don't tell me you got rid of the LJ for a JK?

Last edited:
Forget "real" synthetic nonsense. Of course if you want to spend $10+/qt for no real improvement, be my guest.

Id put PU 5w-20 in there and be done.

Chrysler did indeed specify 5w30 for the 2012 Pentastar Wranglers. There has been speculation as to why they changed to 5w20 for 2013 but I've never seen any sort of official explanation from Chrysler.

Quote:
My owners manual states:

Engine Oil Selection

For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet
the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Engine Oil Viscosity – 3.6L Engine

SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating
temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature
starting and vehicle fuel economy.

The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine
oil viscosity for your vehicle. For information on engine oil
filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compartment” in “Maintaining
Your Vehicle” for further information.

Lubricants, which do not have both the engine oil certification
mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number,
should not be used.

You'll be hard pressed to find any definitive statements from the major oil companies about their base stocks and as such you'll likely hit a dead end looking for a strictly Grp IV+ oil with the Chrysler spec. I would be immensely surprised if the perceived benefits of Grp IV+ base stocks translate into real world benefits. I am running Napa synthetic 5w20 in mine and I'm supremely confident that I will experience no trouble from it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GoHack
Is there a heavy 5W-20 oil available. When I say heavy, I mean like how GC 0W-30 is considered a heavy weight, while a 0W-30 Mobile 1 is considered a light weight oil.

When looking at various viscosity numbers to try to determine the actual operational viscosity of the oil in the engine, the HT/HS viscosity is the most relevant figure. If I recall correctly, 2.6 is the minimum for a 20 grade and 2.9 is the minimum for a 30 grade. As far as I know, there are no maximum values, just minimum values given.

You can probably find various boutique oils in the 5W-20 grade with rather high HT/HS values, but you'll pay a lot for them, possible through mail order, and for little real benefit. For the purposes of staying within warranty requirements, I think Mobil 1's 5W-20 is the best choice. It's easy to obtain, relatively inexpensive to buy, and has an HT/HS viscosity of 2.75, which is one of the higher HT/HS values you'll see for a 20 grade oil. You'll have receipts showing "5W-20" oil, and maybe you'll sleep better at night knowing it's a touch heavier than most 5W-20s.

My folks have a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. And a heckuva fine vehicle it is. My neighbor has a 2008 Rubi Unlimited, also a good vehicle. The 3.6L engine is far and away the best engine they've offered in a Wrangler. And you may already know that the JK Wrangler is about the most capable Jeep ever sold. They've done away somewhat with the need to do "tummy tucks" and long arm suspensions that were almost required of any serious TJ/LJ driver off road.

Enjoy your new Jeep!

Maybe the 5W20 makes the VVT work better? I remember the police made the mistake of using 10W30 in Hemis and screwed up the VVT solenoids.They switched to 5W30 and they worked fine.So,maybe the 20 is even better???

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: GoHack

When looking at various viscosity numbers to try to determine the actual operational viscosity of the oil in the engine, the HT/HS viscosity is the most relevant figure. If I recall correctly, 2.6 is the minimum for a 20 grade and 2.9 is the minimum for a 30 grade. As far as I know, there are no maximum values, just minimum values given.

You can probably find various boutique oils in the 5W-20 grade with rather high HT/HS values, but you'll pay a lot for them, possible through mail order, and for little real benefit. For the purposes of staying within warranty requirements, I think Mobil 1's 5W-20 is the best choice. It's easy to obtain, relatively inexpensive to buy, and has an HT/HS viscosity of 2.75, which is one of the higher HT/HS values you'll see for a 20 grade oil. You'll have receipts showing "5W-20" oil, and maybe you'll sleep better at night knowing it's a touch heavier than most 5W-20s.

My folks have a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. And a heckuva fine vehicle it is. My neighbor has a 2008 Rubi Unlimited, also a good vehicle. The 3.6L engine is far and away the best engine they've offered in a Wrangler. And you may already know that the JK Wrangler is about the most capable Jeep ever sold. They've done away somewhat with the need to do "tummy tucks" and long arm suspensions that were almost required of any serious TJ/LJ driver off road.

Enjoy your new Jeep!

With 3 inches of lift, they can fit 37'' tires! The suspension does have much longer arms, and even with 3'' of lift, doesn't require an aftermarket long arm kit to articulate great!

It's really amazing what they have done with the suspension when compared to the coil springs in the front of my Cherokee!

Quaker state, Pennzoil, or Mobil 1 syn will all do fine for that engine and for reasonable price. Sure you can buy a group 4 like Amsoil signature series, but unless you are going for 15k mile oil changes, that would seem a waste. Mobil 1 has some measure of group 4 in the base oil mix. Group 4 is not the holy grail it used to be with all the excellent group3 based oils and additive packages nowadays.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Quaker state, Pennzoil, or Mobil 1 syn will all do fine for that engine and for reasonable price. Sure you can buy a group 4 like Amsoil signature series, but unless you are going for 15k mile oil changes, that would seem a waste. Mobil 1 has some measure of group 4 in the base oil mix. Group 4 is not the holy grail it used to be with all the excellent group3 based oils and additive packages nowadays.

Actually XM considers all M1 oils as grp 4 per their tech line. All M1 oils are a blend of several stocks including 3+, 4, and 5. Even Amsoil is not straight 4. Pablo can verify this.

That engine is FINE with 5w20. I posted up an article on another thread recently that explained a lot about the oiling system on the 3.6. suffice it to say, its set up for thin oil. No need to go second-guessing the recommendation The oil pump is a variable displacement type to maintain high pressure at low RPM (for the cam phasers as well as cooling/lubrication flow) without excessive pressure at high RPM. It also switches under computer control to allow a controlled pressure increase above 2500 RPM.

Factory fill is SOPUS oil- not sure if its PP, PYB, PU, or what, but SOPUS supplies Chrysler now. Presumably its at least PP. That being said, any API-certified 5w20 will maintain your warranty, and its just flat hard to find a "bad" or "weak" 5w20 since they have to have a pretty solid base stock and don't need a ton of VIIs.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

It's really amazing what they have done with the suspension when compared to the coil springs in the front of my Cherokee!

And yet its the same basic Francois Castaing designed system from '84. Always had a lot more "flex" than leaf spring setups or any independent setup, and they've improved it a ton. The Jeep engineers seem to be followers of the aftermarket, and what people find works in the aftermarket sometimes winds up being incorporated into production Wranglers. I think the Wrangler is the Jeep engineers' plaything since its the only real offroader they have left.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Forget "real" synthetic nonsense. Of course if you want to spend $10+/qt for no real improvement, be my guest.

Id put PU 5w-20 in there and be done.

Quote of the day.
Why spend big bucks on a group 4 oil when you have to change it according to chryslers warrantee requirement.
Unless you are planning in being in the arctic or are going to peg the tach all day long OR you plan on extending the oil change interval a group 4 synthetic really wont show any better wear numbers than whatever Chrysler tells you to use,according to warrantee requirements.
Dnewton wrote an article on wear on the front home page of the forum. I suggest reading it. It's enlightening information.
As far as using a group 4 in your new jeep the only part that will notice is your wallet,being lighter.
And as far as the 20 grades go I used to believe that thicker was better but those oils have been in use long enough now that the market has proven they don't affect longevity for 99% of engines and drivers. The 1% that may need thicker oil due to tracking the car or taking it to the very limit likely change the oil before they get to the track anyway.
My 05 hemi has 250k on it. It still got enough power to shred the tires
,makes no funny sounds(hemi tick),and consumes no oil.
If your climate experiences temps in the -30 range or colder than you may benefit from a 0w-20 but if your climate is warmer than that then use what Chrysler tells you to.
I'm using pennzoil platinum in my hemi right now and plan to run it out to 10k. I've got Quaker state ultimate durability in my girls windstar and it will also be going 10 before I change it.
Come summer I will be using conventionals due to no cold temp extremes.
Guys are having good experiences with Mobil and valvoline as well,just find one that meets Chrysler's spec and change it when they tell you to. Done deal

Congratulations, nice Jeep!
01.gif

The "heaviest" 5w20 synthetics I'm aware of are Amsoil OE (HTHS 2.8) and Mobil 1 (HTHS 2.75) but I'm pretty sure the Amsoil is grp III, who knows on the Mobil.

The idea of 5w20 takes some time to get used to, hang in there, it works.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
First, you'll want to make sure you stick with the grade recommended as they are still having engine problems with the 3.6. Also you MUST use oil that meets the chrysler specification.

Chrysler switched to 5w-20 claiming that it cooled the heads better, IIRC.

Please don't tell me you got rid of the LJ for a JK?

I'm afraid so. I got no better than around 15 mpg w/the LJ, w/its stock 30" tires, while w/the JKU, I'm presently getting around 20+ w/its stock P255/75R17 (32") tires.

I was looking into adding manual hubs to the LJ, which would of, "maybe", improved my mileage by around 2 mpg, but that would of cost me over $2000, which included new wheels needed for the hubs to clear as well. Then the LJ had over 106K miles on it. So the more I thought about it, and then to add to the fact, that I could a discount through Chrysler of 1% below dealer cost through my employer, added to my decision.

This may also be our last year of writing off new vehicles on our taxes w/this administration we have in Washington as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not to mention, trying to find one that meets Chrysler's spec, as 10cent mentioned. Or SN/GF-5. All the ones that we BITOGers tend to agree are primarily PAO are either boutiques with few or no certifications (but are, of course, still good oil) or European oils that wouldn't meet the specifications in the Jeep's manual.

Royal Purple API SN
Amsoil XL( I think it is Grp IV or at least some - ask Pablo ).

Both will meet your warranty requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input.

I guess I'll go w/the Mobil 1 then, since it's easy to get.

I take care of my vehicles. Always have. We obviously ALL do here, otherwise we wouldn't be here on the "Bob is the Oil Guy" forum, to find out what is the best? I change my engine oil/filter at least every 5K, and like to use the best products available on the market.

By the way, if you think 0W-20 is a light oil, I've heard that the US oil/auto industry are looking at an even lighter oil, like 0W-10.

Question, why are Europeans using heavier oils in their automobiles vs. what we use here in the US, even w/the exact same vehicles/engines? I would think that the Europeans would be just as interested in getting better gasoline mileage as we here in the US are.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Royal Purple API SN

Amsoil XL is group 3 and would be a good choice for the new Jeep
grin2.gif

Eh,nm looks like you already made your choice.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Royal Purple API SN

Amsoil XL is group 3 and would be a good choice for the new Jeep
grin2.gif

Eh,nm looks like you already made your choice.

Amsoil is pain to get. Yes NAPA stores carry it, but I believe they only carry 5W-30 Signature Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back