Wheels stolen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
619 Palo Alto Rd. Google mapped the place and its a junk hole. They do have a rack of take offs sitting right outside, I'm sure you can drive right to it and look at them.

Problem with that is that I don't have any way of identifying them as the ones that came off of my truck.

Can't really prevent it. You can make it a pain in the rear, but you can't prevent it. Ultimately it comes down to how prepared they are and how determined they are.

Last thing you want is a angrey wheel theif key the whole did for your car, or worse for them to come back randomly vandolize it every 2-3 months.

Doesn't matter how long you sit and watch if they give it a few months in between you will not catch them unless you have a camera. And half of them are smart enough to simply put on a hoodie and cover thier face.

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
Problem with that is that I don't have any way of identifying them as the ones that came off of my truck.

Mark the inside of the tire with a wax market next time, name or number should do.

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
Well guyz, last nite while i was sleeping my rims and tires were stolen from my truck, 2013 GMC Sierra, I live in an apartment complex here in San Antonio, TX. My family and myself are new to the city, I am a recently separated veteran who decided to relocate to San Antonio because of an awesome job opportunity. All has been well up until now, we eventually want to buy a house here and make it our home. I do understand that it's probably just the apartment life, it comes with turf. I thought stuff like this only happened in the movies, guess not. Police report filed, insurance claim made, truck is at the shop. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? Police officer advised me that wheel locks wouldn't have prevented this, these guyz are "professionals", last a night a hood was stolen off of a Chrysler 300 as well, crazy part is that they didn't even break into the vehicle to get the hood. So its not considered a burglary but rather just property theft, hardly a felony in my case, but the hood maybe? Insurance adjuster told me that last night around the same side of town 3 more GM trucks Texas editions lost their wheels as welll, that the wheels on my truck are a hot item, wish i would have known. Chrome clad GM wheels, fake chrome! Cheap steel covered in shiny plastic! I love the look of my truck, but really? Fake chrome?

I was in Dallas recently and they tried to steal the wheels off of our rental at the hotel (a 2013 Chevy Tahoe). Seems to be a big thing down there
21.gif

You wanna stop these guys? mail in a complaint to LE from them for trying to stop them from selling stolen goods, postmarked from them,wipe it clean of course and you the roughest paper you can find.

well , it may not stop them but it makes stealing more difficult for them.

These crews basically recieve orders for what parts someone is willing to pay for and they go out and assemble a tailor-made parts pile. Ridiculous...

People steal catalytic converters too...

Sounds like you need an anti-jacking device.

1000v through the chassis, panels, door handles etc and a proximity sensor triggered flamethrower. Everyday normal security in jo'burg..

One part of the problem are the people who buy these stolen items. Morons don't understand that someday they'are hit too.

Good car alarm system would sense if car is lifted or handled otherwise? That's better option than a locking nut I think.

A wax marker would come off. I guess you could preemptively engrave the last few digits of your vin into your inner rim with one of those engraver tools, but that would take the realization that "it could happen to me".

Lousy situation, and it's just petty enough of a crime you won't be on the cops' A-list.
frown.gif

Its a shame to wake up to that. One reason I live in the country and have large dogs. Is the parking area well lighted? I would get wheel locks, might be the tipping point to have the thieves look for another vehicle.

Engrave the truck VIN number inside spoke of wheel. Make it inconspicuous, put some grease on it. Make it easier identify and to recover wheels if stolen.

That craiglist seller is likely selling stolen wheels. Shady tire shops will buy stolen stuff from some crack heads looking for a quick fix.

Does the truck have TPMS? If it does, I'd hope it's not too late to get the codes for the old receivers off the truck's ECU. Then it'd be a pretty simple matter to identify your original wheels.

Edit: Yeah, Tire Rack says you have TPMS sensors. Should be an easy identification.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Does the truck have TPMS? If it does, I'd hope it's not too late to get the codes for the old receivers off the truck's ECU. Then it'd be a pretty simple matter to identify your original wheels.

Edit: Yeah, Tire Rack says you have TPMS sensors. Should be an easy identification.

GENIUS

Originally Posted By: brandini
GENIUS

I wouldn't go that far... but I do have my moments.

Now just hope that the shop who has the truck hasn't trashed the old TPMS codes, yet.

Can you drive by the shady shops in the middle of the night until you get a signal from your old TPMSs?

You'd have to find a tire shop willing to install new wheels with rubber stems, and they hate that liability.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back