Truck Stolen!!!...What to do with engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck was stolen on Tuesday the 5th from a Costco parking lot here in Bakersfield Ca. It was recovered that Friday evening in an obsolete orchard about 50 miles away. The truck stands out quite a bit, with a cowl hood and SS logos. Engine is a 383 stroker that puts down 330 hp and 380 tq to the wheels.

Vehicle was stripped of some minor things with the most important being a valve cover. Both were unbolted, yet they only were able to remove one. This left the engine suseptable to major dirt and dust while it was in the orchard and in impound. I immediatly covered the rockers etc. with some towels when I picked it up.

My question is, what do I do? I have no idea how the theives abused my engine, although there is still a full pan of oil for a UOA. So we'll see if there is a difference when driving something "like you stole it." I was thinking of draining, then flushing the engine with oil via an oil exchange. (I have an oil cooler) Then run extremely small intervals with an Auto RX treatment. But I have no idea what to do about any large particles that possibly fell into the lifter valley. Any advice would be appreciated, including insurance issues as well. Thanks!

The UOA might tell you something. Depends if you can wait to get the results or if you have to get it back on the road ASAP.

Here's an idea, don't know how good it is, but what the hey. I'd get a couple of gallons of kerosene, drain the oil, remove the filter, and with the drain plug still off, a catch pan underneath, pour a gallon through each valve cover as fast as you can to flush out whatever dirt got in there. If you don't find any gritty dirt in the catch pan, then do a couple really short OCI with some cheap oil/filters.

If you find a lot of dirt/grit in there, probably want to dismantle the engine and do a thorough cleaning.

Save the kerosene to burn the thieves at the stake to release their souls from the devil.
cool.gif

I am sure the theives that stole the truck ran the engine wide open in park for at least 15 minutes and ruined the engine. They probably did that after they removed the one valve cover. Looks like they were vandals too because of all the dirt they added to the engine through the oil fill port.

The insurance company owes you a new engine.

Although I haven't dealt with something stealing my vehicle, I have dealt with a dirty engine or two.

Four steps:
1. Clean top of heads off as good as possible, but leave valve covers off.
2. Drop oil pan, drain all old oil, remove any debris, check oil pickup, and reinstall pan.
3. Give it's a 383, fill with HDEO 15w-40 w/SuperTech filter.
4. Start-up, and make sure oil is making it to top-end. Re-install valve covers.

[ October 12, 2004, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
Although I haven't dealt with something stealing my vehicle, I have dealt with a dirty engine or two.

Four steps:
1. Clean top of heads off as good as possible, but leave valve covers off.
2. Drop oil pan, drain all old oil, remove any debris, check oil pickup, and reinstall pan.
3. Give it's a 383, fill with HDEO 15w-40 w/SuperTech filter.
4. Start-up, and make sure oil is making it to top-end. Re-install valve covers.

Sounds to me like that would leave a large percentage of the grit in the valley and on the camshaft.

My concern would be for the entire driveline, not just the engine. While you may be able to clean visible dirt there is always the question of what happened while the dirtbags had it, what's inside the engine, is the tranny damaged, etc. That would make me wonder if you may start having increased troubles in a few hundred or thousand miles.

Your local dealer should be able to access the ECM and at least find out what max speed and rpm has been stored in memory.

I was not clear if dirt was actually pushed into the engine through the oil port or if the engine just got airborne dirt/dust.

In any case, I would suggest that the insurance cover major inspection/fluid changes for engine/tranny/axle. Also look at the suspension and wheels for damage. In short, I think the insurance should cover a thorough (not eyeball) inspection of the entire truck at the very least. If any issues are found, replace the component - that's why you have the coverage.

Yep, short OCI's. I would be more worried about the tranny honestly. Nothing like a nuetral drop at 3k when your putting down 300+hp. or perhaps droping the clutch at even higher RPM's. great fun if other peoples cars.

I agree with both tallpall and tomjones 76! All of the work will be subbed out through a local body shop which works directly with State Farm Insurance. If things go as planned the truck will be taken to the repair shop of my choice to be gone over with a fine tooth comb, and find any problems which may or may not have ocurred.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
I couldn't support such a policy.. unless it was only applied to people who stole outstanding rides such as a pickup with a 383 stroker.. or a Corvette.. etc.
I mean really.. you would hang a kid for stealing a riced-out Geo Metro? Wouldn't feel right to me.

If such a policy existed the incidence of auto theft would be very low. Anyway, something severe is needed as a deterent. Maybe they can be publicly horsewhipped! Obviously implementation of such a policy must have be done carefully. You could have an exemption for underaged (they get it on the second offense maybe). But how about carjackers? Somewhere we have to stop mollycoddling dangerous thieves. It just promotes more of the same.

Anyway, hope Silverado gets his truck fixed OK.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
They used to hang horse theives. The same should apply to car and truck theives!

I couldn't support such a policy.. unless it was only applied to people who stole outstanding rides such as a pickup with a 383 stroker.. or a Corvette.. etc.
I mean really.. you would hang a kid for stealing a riced-out Geo Metro? Wouldn't feel right to me.

Those people should be hung as well, for going through the trouble of stealing a riced out Geo.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
They used to hang horse theives. The same should apply to car and truck theives!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back