The Club or anything else to prevent car theft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris142

As someone who grew up with stick shifts that's funny! Don't know if you saw the video of my 13 yr old female cousin driving my Jeep. She caught on real quick! She does not know it yet but her first car will be a stick. That way none of her friends will be driving it.
Here she is
smile.gif
. At one point she had us going 65 mph on this dry lake!
https://youtu.be/ebcdQnBowfU

My '95 Integra GS-R was stolen. But this was in 2004 when maybe 10% of new cars had manual transmissions. I heard it's down to about 3%.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by emg
Originally Posted by Donald
I have also read than many cars (or some at least) with push button start, the owners just leave the keyfob in the car as a matter of habit. Although I do not know how you could lock the car with the keyfob in the car. But that is what I read. These cars are now getting stolen.

You don't need the key fob, you just need a signal repeater.

From what I've read, the cars that use an immobilizer and still require the key in the ignition are the hardest to steal, while the new keyless cars are easy to steal if the crooks are willing to go to those lengths to steal it. Unless the car has technology to prevent it, if the thief can get a repeater near your key fob, the car is theirs... but that does require knowing who owns the car they plan to steal.

As for the older vehicles, I remember opening the door of my friend's Ford with my Lancia key one time, and he started a bulldozer with his Ford key. I'm guessing those were the kind of locks that unlock just as well with a screwdriver as a key.

Don't a lot of these systems use rolling codes like a newer garage door opener? Or even like credit card authentication?

That's how the repeater works. The car will unlock once it detects the key is a few feet away. With the repeater, they have to be close enough to your key to capture the signal and then repeat it near the car so that the car thinks the key is next to the car when it's actually in your house. You can either put your key fob in a faraday cage to defeat this or on the keyfob in a Mercedes, if you hit the lock button twice, it disables the keyless go feature and it won't broadcast no matter who is close. I don't bother as my car is in a parking lot and you'd have to be outside my bedroom window in order to steal the code and I'm a few stories up. Plus that's what insurance is for and the parking lot also has cameras. I think you'd worry about it if you're parked in the driveway and you keep your keys near the door. And yes, you can't lock the keys in the car as it detects the keyfob. Only way to lock the keys in the car is to put the keys into an antistatic bag which usually doubles as a farday cage or disable the keyfob by hitting the lock button twice. But a car that is stolen with the keyfob in the car is the same as someone just leaving the keys in the car. That happened in a previous job, the owners use to park in front and leave the keys in the ignition. I didn't have my car with me one day and they just told me to take theirs which was parked out front. I asked where the keys were and they acted like it was a silly question, it was in the ignition. A few times I'd walk by and just check and yep, they always left the keys in the ignition. And while I was there, no one ever stole their car.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

That's how the repeater works. The car will unlock once it detects the key is a few feet away. With the repeater, they have to be close enough to your key to capture the signal and then repeat it near the car so that the car thinks the key is next to the car when it's actually in your house. You can either put your key fob in a faraday cage to defeat this or on the keyfob in a Mercedes, if you hit the lock button twice, it disables the keyless go feature and it won't broadcast no matter who is close. I don't bother as my car is in a parking lot and you'd have to be outside my bedroom window in order to steal the code and I'm a few stories up.

I thought maybe some of the technology has gotten to the point where it's something like a complicated formula with two-way communications. Right now "chip" credit cards are almost impossible to crack since they use a non-repeating formula. I heard someone could just monitor the code and it's pretty much impossible to guess it via the results. It just needs a different token the next time and it will be impossible to guess there result without knowing the formula. The communications could be monitored, and only finding the formula could do anything.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by Wolf359

That's how the repeater works. The car will unlock once it detects the key is a few feet away. With the repeater, they have to be close enough to your key to capture the signal and then repeat it near the car so that the car thinks the key is next to the car when it's actually in your house. You can either put your key fob in a faraday cage to defeat this or on the keyfob in a Mercedes, if you hit the lock button twice, it disables the keyless go feature and it won't broadcast no matter who is close. I don't bother as my car is in a parking lot and you'd have to be outside my bedroom window in order to steal the code and I'm a few stories up.

I thought maybe some of the technology has gotten to the point where it's something like a complicated formula with two-way communications. Right now "chip" credit cards are almost impossible to crack since they use a non-repeating formula. I heard someone could just monitor the code and it's pretty much impossible to guess it via the results. It just needs a different token the next time and it will be impossible to guess there result without knowing the formula. The communications could be monitored, and only finding the formula could do anything.

They could probably tighten the timing so that if there's a repeater involved, it takes too long for it to get the signal and repeat it. But the car companies weren't really thinking about this angle and didn't actually put that into the system. I suppose maybe the next round of updates might fix that vulnerability.

It's different than a chip on a credit card. The repeater just repeats the signal from the fob. It's normally a weak signal that doesn't travel far, if I'm a foot or two away with the fob in my pocket facing away from the car, it sometimes doesn't see it so I have to shift to get closer to the car and then it works. All the repeater does is repeat the signal, doesn't matter how it's encrypted, it's the same signal.

I am asking this question... And I bet it sounds dumb as all get out
lol.gif

But I will ask anyway... If you put your key fob in say a cast iron Dutch oven would that act like a Faraday cage ??

Originally Posted by bbhero
lol.gif

But I will ask anyway... If you put your key fob in say a cast iron Dutch oven would that act like a Faraday cage ??

It would if it was grounded like a Faraday cage. Not grounded, maybe.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Originally Posted by bbhero
lol.gif

It would if it was grounded like a Faraday cage. Not grounded, maybe.

Doesn't need to be grounded. Might help. Basically any metal enclosure would work, but some will block the signal better than others. As the signal is pretty weak to begin with, any basic one will probably do. You could test it by putting it inside a cage and seeing if the car detects it. You can just buy them on Amazon, but you could just as easily repurpose a metal box.

Originally Posted by paulri
that's my thinking--if they see that it will take them an extra 3-5 minutes, they might just go on to easier prey.

Now what about the hidden switches---is this something that would cost a lot for me to have someone install? a Civic with 209K on it isn't exactly worth shelling out big bucks to protect....
frown.gif

I've had nine foot fences cut through, and a metal building cut into, just to steal something that I wouldn't have thought was worth two minutes time to steal.

And, no, a manual transmission did not in any way deter them.

OTOH, the V12 Jaguar in the same building, with keys on a workbench, along with it's fuel pump relays that I had pulled, was not stolen. They couldn't start, it or maybe they just didn't want it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbreakable-AutoLock-Pro-Bar-Automotive-Safety-AntiTheft-Pedal-Locking-New-1540/333049041919?hash=item4d8b4513ff:g:DTsAAOSwXh9cVKna:rk:2:pf:0

Buddy had one on his Camaro several years ago. They beat the crap out of this thing, but they didn't get the car. Would be the only anti theft device I would buy.

I see a few cars a month stolen with alarms. In public people just don't care enough to pay attention to them. But to be honest anything is better than nothing, even the steering wheel locks do their job most of the time unless you are parking in a secluded area like a parking garage where time or risk of being seen is less of an issue. Funny thing is most people don't use the club anymore so a lot of the smash and grab car thieves aren't prepared for them because they are not used to seeing them like 15 years ago. If they want it that bad they are going to get it, so anything you do to make it look less appealing is going to be a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back