Would-be Pleasanton car theft victim opens fire on thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
PLEASANTON, Calif. (KRON) — A would-be auto theft victim fought back against two thieves who attempted to steal his vehicle in Pleasanton just before dawn Tuesday, police said.

The incident happened at 4:50 a.m. in the Canyon Meadows neighborhood. According to the Pleasanton Police Department, the victim saw a stranger inside his vehicle and a second thief standing outside the vehicle.

When the car owner confronted the duo, he was attacked with pepper spray, police said.

“The victim was pepper sprayed by a suspect and heard a shot fired towards him. The victim, who was legally in possession of a firearm and able to carry, fired multiple rounds towards the suspects,” PPD wrote.

Emergency dispatchers received multiple 911 calls reporting the shooting. Two nearby parked vehicles were struck by bullets.

The thieves fled from the gunfire by driving a pickup truck out of the neighborhood. The victim was not injured, and it’s unclear if the suspects were injured.

“At this time, we have not received reports of any injuries related to this incident,” PPD wrote.

Police detectives are asking anyone who may have witnessed, or has information about this incident, to call 925-931-5100.

That is not the nicest part of Pleasanton - lots of condos/rentals in that area.

Pleasanton is a nice town. Just northeast of me. Those thieves chose the wrong car and attacked the owner. I hope they get caught.
I'm sure more information will come out.

What I found critical in the news was that the Suspects had a lookout, and multiple resources to include pepper spray and a firearm to support their what I speculate were class three felony activities. I am not fluent on the California criminal statues/ codes. Of course, firing shots at the vehicle owner are additional felony charges.

It really sends a message to those defending their or others property to recon the area and situation if at a decision point to take actions, whatever those actions may be.

Just because you are license to carny doesn't mean there isn't liability issues when firing your weapon-regardless of circumstances.
Agreed.

While I strongly support 2nd amendment rights, I also recognize that the use of deadly force is not always the best decision. This may have been a situation where the best decision of the owner may have been to confront the thieves from a greater distance, and have called 911. Now he will have the financial liability of repairing the damage done from his shots.

All for a car that was probably insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back