Someone tried to scam my son tonight

my son calls me and tells me what happened tonight. Him and GF are at a mall. they leave the mall heading home and he notices a car has been following him. So he drives around a little to another mall and then parks. The guy get out and say to my son that he hit his car at the mall. he tell my son that the cops are coming and they have video of it. he tries to get my son to admit he did it . my son tells him no way did he hit his car and will call the cops . after that statement the guy hops in his car and leaves .

So what is the angle here? was he trying to get a cash payment right there for damages? if my son was stupid enough to admit to it, would he try to claim insurance? My son is pretty honest with me and if he did it he would tell me.

i told my son next time to drive to a police station. i think he targeted them because they were young

If he really hit a car, the other guy would not leave! They wanted to scare him and collect $20 or $50 and move on to buy more weed or the fancier stuff they smoke these days.

Bunch of lazy people who don't want to work. I see city signs begging for landscaping work for $26/hr. Every job offer I see is near $30/hr and no education required but the scam artists like to live in their mom's basements and play video games all night. lol and once in a while a CAT converter will help the finances!

He should have drove directly to the police station and waited to see if the guy would continue to follow him. Keep the doors locked all the time and act like you are talking on the cell phone which might scare the idiot right then and there.

my son calls me and tells me what happened tonight. Him and GF are at a mall. they leave the mall heading home and he notices a car has been following him. So he drives around a little to another mall and then parks. The guy get out and say to my son that he hit his car at the mall. he tell my son that the cops are coming and they have video of it. he tries to get my son to admit he did it . my son tells him no way did he hit his car and will call the cops . after that statement the guy hops in his car and leaves .

So what is the angle here? was he trying to get a cash payment right there for damages? if my son was stupid enough to admit to it, would he try to claim insurance? My son is pretty honest with me and if he did it he would tell me.

i told my son next time to drive to a police station. i think he targeted them because they were young
Who knows, more likely mental illness. Glad your son and girlfriend are ok.

I often see "drive to the nearest police station" mentioned in threads discussing potentially hazardous situations.
But how many people really know where the nearest police station is ? It's not something that you want to be looking up on your phone or navigation device if in a potentially dangerous situation. I know where the closest Sheriff's substations are and either one is about 20 miles away. So that isn't a viable option in my community. Where any police stations are in neighboring towns are is a different story. I have no clue.

In any case the OP's son at least went to a public place where presumably there would be witnesses and security cameras if the scammer tried to pull anything. It could have been worse, it could have been a hijacking. Certainly one should never pull over on the side of the road if they are being followed or suspect something is amiss.

I’m in a town of 12k … Police, Fire, and EMS is one new complex …
The SD is not located there but are provided a bit of space since they are in the next small town (county seat) …

Back