Identity theft & so on

I just heard on the radio that Norton Life-Lock got "hacked" (names, addresses, etc. of customers). I assume this is the same "Life-Lock" identity theft prevention we've heard about for years (?).

This brings me to a question about a similar service, that being one to prevent crooks from stealing the deed to your property. Is that really a "thing"? I would think it can't be such a simple and binding thingto just quick deed away an unknowing persons property - at least it shouldn't be.

I own my house & property and have credit freezes at the 3 main bureaus. Is there anything else I should do to prevevt being a victim?

I just heard on the radio that Norton Life-Lock got "hacked" (names, addresses, etc. of customers). I assume this is the same "Life-Lock" identity theft prevention we've heard about for years (?).

This brings me to a question about a similar service, that being one to prevent crooks from stealing the deed to your property. Is that really a "thing"? I would think it can't be such a simple and binding thingto just quick deed away an unknowing persons property - at least it shouldn't be.

I own my house & property and have credit freezes at the 3 main bureaus. Is there anything else I should do to prevevt being a victim?
I can only comment on credit bureaus. I would also lock my score with Innovis, it cant hurt and it's free. It's also one you can lock it and forget it, to this day I never had to unlock that one. We also got confirmation by USPS when we did lock it and I think our PIN number.
AS far as homes, I do not know except to say stuff happens in life, we could die walking out our front door tomorrow.
Im sure there must be a way to keep tabs on your house but dont know what they are. Other than your property tax bill and regular online check with your county records.
I have NEVER used a pay for credit lock company and never will but that doesnt mean I am right. Just me. I mean a Discover Credit Card alerts you if anyone accesses your credit report (forgot what agency) when you unlock it to allow let's say a mortgage company to view it.

Our data are in places that we can't even imagine. It's not a matter of whether it will be hacked but a question of how often will it be hacked.

It's a digital world and it ain't safe.

I froze:
1) Equifax
2) Experian
3) Trans Union

AND ALSO
4) Innovis
5) Chex System

I froze my credit reports and sleep well at night.
I also receive emails every time my credit card is used.
I find it AMAZING how little the population takes this easy free step to make sure no one takes a loan out in their name among other things.

Last edited:
I dont recall where I heard it, maybe Dave Ramsey, they were discussing the chances of a home title fraud. In order to commit this fraud a financial institution would have to be involved and not follow the procedures. They would be open to liability and criminal charges at that point.
As far as I am concerned just because someone shows up at my door with papers doesnt mean I am leaving.
In this day and age anything is possible.

I find it AMAZING how little the population takes this easy free step to make sure no one takes a loan out in their name among other things.
How many bother to keep dibs on their credit rating? heck, how many know how to make a budget?

Credit stuff is a mystery to most. Including me.

How many bother to keep dibs on their credit rating? heck, how many know how to make a budget?

Credit stuff is a mystery to most. Including me.
MasterSolenoid posted above the three major credit agencies that you can go to their website right now and freeze your credit so no one can pull your credit report unless you unlock it. More or less, if your going to go out and buy a new car or apply for a credit card you can then go back to the site and unlock the credit for a period of time or unlock it forever and then go back another day after getting the credit that you wanted and lock it again.

MasterSolenoid posted above the three major credit agencies that you can go to their website right now and freeze your credit so no one can pull your credit report unless you unlock it. More or less, if your going to go out and buy a new car or apply for a credit card you can then go back to the site and unlock the credit for a period of time or unlock it forever and then go back another day after getting the credit that you wanted and lock it again.
I never signed up there—why would do I need to do anything?

I get it. The world is an ugly place. Sometimes you have to do things you don’t like. But you wanted to know why many don’t do this. None of us signed up, all of this is cloak and daggers stuff from this shadowy cartel that looms over us.

Interestingly, after I locked my credit last year with the big 3 credit reporting companies, I stopped getting junk lending mail.
Yes, that happened to us years ago and I am not sure why because they dont see your full report but maybe somehow related to what information about you is released.

Reactions: Pew
I never signed up there—why would do I need to do anything?

I get it. The world is an ugly place. Sometimes you have to do things you don’t like. But you wanted to know why many don’t do this. None of us signed up, all of this is cloak and daggers stuff from this shadowy cartel that looms over us.
Huh?
You dont need to do anything. What the heck is cloak and dagger got to do with anything? *LOL*I

Many people, including me, lock the doors in my home when I go out. I also lock my car doors when I go shopping.
I also lock my credit reports so no one can enter there either, a place where someone can do far more damage then the home or car.

No one has to do anything, dont have to lock up your house, dont have to lock your cars, dont have to lock your credit.
Doesnt matter to me or anyone else. Some people it does interest even more when, just like locking your car is free, just like locking your house is free, locking your credit is free too and far more effective than the car or house because all you have to do with those is break a window. :)

Huh?
You dont need to do anything. What the heck is cloak and dagger got to do with anything? *LOL*I

Many people, including me, lock the doors in my home when I go out. I also lock my car doors when I go shopping.
I also lock my credit reports so no one can enter there either, a place where someone can do far more damage then the home or car.
Hrm, differences I guess. I sometimes lock my house when I leave, if I go shopping in the big city I'll lock my car, but if it's local, nope. Don't lock my car at work either. Just makes getting into the car harder, have to dig my keys out before I can open a door.

Is there a formula for the credit rating? and is each agency using a different scale?

Lastly, if I don't need to do anything... then I'm all set?

Hrm, differences I guess. I sometimes lock my house when I leave, if I go shopping in the big city I'll lock my car, but if it's local, nope. Don't lock my car at work either. Just makes getting into the car harder, have to dig my keys out before I can open a door.

Is there a formula for the credit rating? and is each agency using a different scale?

Lastly, if I don't need to do anything... then I'm all set?
They use different scales of much the same information and then the industry standard FICO score and even then, now different FICO scales. But they all lead to whether someone is credit worthy.

If you dont do anything the "door" to your credit information is unlocked which makes it more easy for fraud using your name, social security number to commit lending fraud or anything that involves information from credit agencies. Including exposing all loan information, credit card information and who companies those are with. This is just off the top of my head.

I dont recall where I heard it, maybe Dave Ramsey, they were discussing the chances of a home title fraud. In order to commit this fraud a financial institution would have to be involved and not follow the procedures. They would be open to liability and criminal charges at that point.
As far as I am concerned just because someone shows up at my door with papers doesnt mean I am leaving.
In this day and age anything is possible.
Interesting. The way they describe it on the Home Title Lock commercials, it just doesn't sound like it should so simple to steal someone's deed. Of course scare tactics are one of the oldest methods in sales.

I have had to "unfreeze" my credit a couple of times - it was a pretty quick process. On one you set a time period for the thaw. I set it for just that day and the check proceeded successfully.

Remember Todd Davis, CEO of identity-theft-prevention company LifeLock? His social security number is 457-55-5462. Yep, this is the guy who published his SSN on many-a billboard, to demonstrate his company's amazing service....and had his ID stolen 17 times since then. There is no replacement for privacy. These "prying eyes" try to sell up protection, but unless your in like the Witness Protection Program, everyone is a target.

Yes, that happened to us years ago and I am not sure why because they dont see your full report but maybe somehow related to what information about you is released.

I also found out the best way to stop the "we've been trying to reach you about your car's extended warranty" is to buy a new car :ROFLMAO:

@alarmguy Is it even worth having identity theft protection if you lock your credit? Sometimes I sign off on a docusign e-signature which verifies the signer through what appears to be a background check: do any of these cars match one you owned before, which county did you live in from a list. I get a credit alert after every time I'm verified, it's like a soft credit hit.

Sometimes I sign off on a docusign e-signature which verifies the signer through what appears to be a background check

Docusign doesn't do a background check; they're just a way to send encrypted documents for e-signatures.

Back